E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sirius module install location, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a search on the forum about the Sirius module, and most of what I found was folks that actually paid the dealership to do the work.
Unfortunately, I enjoy tackling things on my own first, as I've done with my other cars, and was hoping that someone would know exactly where the Sirius module goes.

I ordered the parts from my dealer, and it should arrive soon. I'm not sure it comes with the installation instructions at this point.
I am assuming as with other vehicles, that the module installs in the trunk area, either the driver's side (default usually), or the passenger side (where the battery usually is, and less advisable).

I'm sure I can do the work, but was wondering if my location ideas is pretty much where to look for the installation location.

On that same note, I've been looking for the BMW E60 5-series Repair Manual CD or Book form. Bentley Publishers does not seem to have this available yet. Also another forum search seemed to have pointed me to a location where I could download it, but no longer a viable procedure as it was removed. Any pointers on where I can purchase one would be highly appreciated.

Also on the same note, are there any OBD tools that can connect to the car's computer via the OBD-II port, and that can run via a computer software? I know this is available for the Volkswagen-Audi group vehicles, as I own the tool. Is anything similar available for the BMW vehicles as well? Searching did not seem to yield much on this topic.

Thanks all in advance for any assistance or pointers.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by nene' date='Aug 3 2005, 12:59 PM
I've done a search on the forum about the Sirius module, and most of what I found was folks that actually paid the dealership to do the work.
Unfortunately, I enjoy tackling things on my own first, as I've done with my other cars, and was hoping that someone would know exactly where the Sirius module goes.

I ordered the parts from my dealer, and it should arrive soon.? I'm not sure it comes with the installation instructions at this point.
I am assuming as with other vehicles, that the module installs in the trunk area, either the driver's side (default usually), or the passenger side (where the battery usually is, and less advisable).

I'm sure I can do the work, but was wondering if my location ideas is pretty much where to look for the installation location.

On that same note, I've been looking for the BMW E60 5-series Repair Manual CD or Book form.? Bentley Publishers does not seem to have this available yet.? Also another forum search seemed to have pointed me to a location where I could download it, but no longer a viable procedure as it was removed.? Any pointers on where I can purchase one would be highly appreciated.

Also on the same note, are there any OBD tools that can connect to the car's computer via the OBD-II port, and that can run via a computer software?? I know this is available for the Volkswagen-Audi group vehicles, as I own the tool.? Is anything similar available for the BMW vehicles as well?? Searching did not seem to yield much on this topic.

Thanks all in advance for any assistance or pointers.
[snapback]155714[/snapback]
You should have found this answer as well, it has been much discussed. The Sirius module is in the trunk, driver's side as I recall. The actual install is not too difficult, but you will have to go back to the dealer to get Sirius activated in the iDrive system. I'm afraid it's not simply plug and play.

As for the manuals and OBD tools, afraid I can't help there...
Old 08-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

kscarrol is correct that Sirius won't work without some programming that the dealer has to do.

What kind of tools are you looking for to plug into the OBD port? In other words, what are you trying to accomplish? Reading data or actually re-programming data?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Members

Thank you both for confirming my original suspicions on location of the module.
Not sure why the dealer would have to do anything in special with the iDrive though, as the car is prewired. Will play with it, and report back to the forum, with pix and all.

You can use the OBD-II port tool to read various car settings and even re-program a few. For example, if the Sirius install does require some other changes to the iDrive, it is possible a tool such as the one I speak of can be useful.
It also helps you keep tabs on the exact check engine codes that the car throws, other than waiting for the dealer to tell you what they were. We all know how trustworthy dealers can be.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by nene' date='Aug 4 2005, 01:43 PM
Thank you both for confirming my original suspicions on location of the module.
Not sure why the dealer would have to do anything in special with the iDrive though, as the car is prewired.? Will play with it, and report back to the forum, with pix and all.

You can use the OBD-II port tool to read various car settings and even re-program a few.? For example, if the Sirius install does require some other changes to the iDrive, it is possible a tool such as the one I speak of can be useful.
It also helps you keep tabs on the exact check engine codes that the car throws, other than waiting for the dealer to tell you what they were.? We all know how trustworthy dealers can be.

Thanks again for the help.
[snapback]156022[/snapback]
U could have it installed, but if you cannot select it within idrive, what good would it be. All they will do is establish the fact that SAT is available in your audio choices. It also allows u to subscribe thru the idrive system - although I am unclear as to the process in a after factory installation.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nene' date='Aug 4 2005, 01:43 PM
Not sure why the dealer would have to do anything in special with the iDrive though, as the car is prewired.? Will play with it, and report back to the forum, with pix and all.
[snapback]156022[/snapback]
Trust us, there's no way the Sirius will magically show up on the iDrive system just because some wires exist. The entire car is software controlled -- it has to be told that Sirius is there, it won't be able to figure it out for itself...
Old 08-08-2005, 06:38 PM
edl
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i born July 13, 2005, Jet Black with Black Dakota leather interior, 6 speed manual transmission, with sports package, premium sound package, cold weather package and satellite prep...persistence overcomes resistence!

Rudy...correct...talked to dealer about installing a module if I could buy one from another source (which I haven't found...could these things really be mfgd just for bmw? anybody have a source?) and he said they could do the install...it requires wiring through one of the doors...and idrive has to be programmed (by them, of course) to recognize it...

thanks,
sl
Old 08-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, these things are made specifically for BMW (which is why they're so freaking expensive.)

Not sure what wiring has to go through a door to do the install -- sounds kind of strange to me...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Members

Installation on the rear driver's side panel inside the trunk was pretty easy. Pix to follow. Attaching the Sirius module to the bracket was not an issue. But it took me about 20 minutes of puzzling time to figure out exactly where it all went. There were way too many holes, and none seemed to match up. Figured I'd take a break and rest it in a cuby hole section, and voila, that is where it went. Very lucky.

As others have stated, you still have to bring the car to the dealership to update the iDrive software. The service manager quoted me 2 hours. I told him that I can reformat my hard drive, re-install Linux and Window (dual boot), get all my applications loaded, and roll up a joint the size of Manhattan on that same amount of time. How come reloading a CMOS chip with new iDrive could possibly take 2 hours?
Well, he sort of looked at me puzzled, and I just made my appointment. I want to see what the heck they do up there to reload this new iDrive software.

If he tries to charge me for loading the software, I'll have him contact BMW. After all, I paid for the pre-wiring kit, which in my mind it should include all but the module and brakets. Not being cheap or anything, I just find this to be another attempt by BMW to further drain customer wallets for no reason.

Will keep you posted and pix coming soon.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

If it gets done in two hours, you should be thankful. Very often the software downloads crash before completed which forces them to start over again.

I'm not sure if it's possible to do the Sirius update as a partial software update (instead of updating the entire car) but either way, you'll most likely be charged for the labor...

Quick Reply: Sirius module install location, etc.