E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

should I lower my ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by tgm001
I did some research on this , cause me too I'm wondering if it's worth the difference.. I have the sport suspension and some people say that the eibach or the H&R lowering springs, do not drop the car enough to see a difference

Anyone can confirm that ?
Oh you'll see the difference alright. I too have the sport suspension and the drop was noticeable but nothing like you'd expect from race springs, where you will definitely sacrifice ride quaility. Dropping the car "enough" really depends on what you as the driver expect.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

+ 1. "enough" is relative.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running 19's with H&R springs... HATE them!!! It absolutely ruined the ride quality 100%. My wife doesn't want to ride in the car any more. I'm going back to stock suspension. Don't get me wrong though, as the stance is really really nice. It looks great and I get compliments all the time... But not worth the bone jarring feeling over "normal" potholes etc.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Oh you'll see the difference alright. I too have the sport suspension and the drop was noticeable but nothing like you'd expect from race springs, where you will definitely sacrifice ride quaility. Dropping the car "enough" really depends on what you as the driver expect.

So are you saying that if I drop it I will loose the ride quality? Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand. I to was told that it will ruin the ride by guy who works on my car. But I really really like the look!!! hummmmmmmm
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Will you be upgrading your stock shocks as well? Might as well get em both done if you are thinking of lowering. The stock sport setup might give out shortly after if you put lowering springs without updating your shocks.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by 545ride
So are you saying that if I drop it I will loose the ride quality? Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand. I to was told that it will ruin the ride by guy who works on my car. But I really really like the look!!! hummmmmmmm
No you will not "ruin the ride." If you want a ride close to OEM feel with an aftermarket suspension then I would recommend the Eibach ProKit (which I have on) paired up with some sport shocks ( I went with Bilstein Sport - I love 'em!) Trust me, you will like the look - not too low where you'll rake and a tad lower than stock. If I recall the front will drop 0.8" and the rear 0.5." So keep in mind that the fronts will be a tad bit lower than the rears which will not be too noticeable. I think they did this to accommodate the extra weight from passengers and luggage, groceries (hookers lol) or whatever you load in the rear/trunk.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

I used to be undecided on lowering in fear or ride compromise. With quality COs, you can 'almost' have the best of both worlds. I'd look at KWv2, Bilstein PSS10. CO's give you height adjustments so you're not at the mercy of how the springs settlle or ended up with the rake look. Also COs is the ultimate way to go as dampers can be adjusted. One thing for sure, if you dont like stiffness, do not go with CO's. Once you're used to the stiffness paired with 19's (with plus tire sidewalls to combat rough ride). You can never go back to OEM suspension!!!

The Lowered look is just badass. Do it already!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

I'm on Bilstein B8s with H&R race springs, rides rough, hits the bad bumps/potholes hard but its sturdy and smooth otherwise I love it and its def an upgrade over stock
Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I have ksports, right now on almost the stiffest setting. Its rough for sure, some days I wish I didn't install it because of the shitty roads around here. I need to soften it up a bit. It does handle great though no doubt.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

I would suggest a drop with springs.

I had Eibach installed to stock sports suspension. I did not notice a difference in ride at all.

This is my car after Eibach install and original 19" wheels.

Quick Reply: should I lower my ride