E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Short shifter for diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hi.

Is there any European members, who have put an OEM short shifter into their manual diesel E60?
The RealOEM lists part number 25117546373, and it's the same for petrol cars, I guess. However, RealOEM says it's from 03/2005. My car is 05/2004, and if I get a RealOEM list for that precise model, there is no short shifter listed. The "normal" shift lever is up to 03/2005.

So the question is, would the short shifter fit my 2004 car? I'd appreciate the help!

Thank you in advance!

ps. I already talked to couple of members across the pond about install, but since they don't have the diesels, I think they can't help about this...

edit: Damn, sometimes it (RealOEM) lists the short shifter for my car and sometimes doesn't. Anyways, would it fit?

edit2: Sorry folks! I noticed the petrol cars use the same parts! So is there any petrol OR diesel owner, who has installed a short shifter to his/her pre-03/2005 car?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Can't help on the actual short shifter I'm afraid.

However, I can say this..... when I got my car, it came with the wrong gear shift knob installed from the factory - mine is an M-Sport and it came with an 'SE' gear shift knob. This was changed by my dealer after about 2 weeks of me owning the car from new (it took them 2 attempts to get the correct M-Sport shift knob in).

Anyway, upon the 'M-Sport' shift knob being installed (the shift knobs just pull off / push on) my gear changes felt considerably improved. In other words the M-Sport shift know is much shorter and 'sportier' and therefore provides the feel of a 'shorter shift' in itself. Quite how this compare to having the complete 'short shift linkage' fitted I don't know, but know that it did make a big difference. If you have a standard SE knob fitted, this may be worth considering as an initial upgrade - it will certainly be quicker, easier and I suspect cheaper!

Not the best of pictures but see the following for an idea of what I'm talking about.

My origianl 'SE' shift knob:

My retrofitted 'M-Sport' shift knob:
Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 AM
Contributors

Thanks a lot Palmo! Looks good !

I was informed about this shorter knob, and member cleung recommended it to be installed at the same time.
But if the short shifter itself doesn't fit, I may go only for this knob. Btw, the short shifter is not any more expensive than the knob.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='797520' date='Feb 20 2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks a lot Palmo! Looks good !

I was informed about this shorter knob, and member cleung recommended it to be installed at the same time.
But if the short shifter itself doesn't fit, I may go only for this knob. Btw, the short shifter is not any more expensive than the knob.
Good luck - let us know how it turns out! How much is the short shift linkage then?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='797542' date='Feb 20 2009, 04:02 PM
Good luck - let us know how it turns out! How much is the short shift linkage then?
I just came back from the dealer. They couldn't tell if the short shifter fits my car, they had never installed one. So I ended up to order the MSport knob.
It looks good in your picture Palmo so thanks for the tip.

I can purchase the short shifter later if it appears that it fits. I can't recall the precise price but it was something 60? plus some fitting accessories 5-10?.
I'm sure someone here knows the answer.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Hey check and see if the normal shifter on your 530d is the same as the one on the 530i, because if the normal one is the same then I presume that the short one will fit because I have the short one on my 2004 530i.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='797550' date='Feb 20 2009, 02:29 PM
I just came back from the dealer. They couldn't tell if the short shifter fits my car, they had never installed one. So I ended up to order the MSport knob.
It looks good in your picture Palmo so thanks for the tip.

I can purchase the short shifter later if it appears that it fits. I can't recall the precise price but it was something 60? plus some fitting accessories 5-10?.
I'm sure someone here knows the answer.
I personally think the M-Sport Knob provides a much better feel and look. With it being shorter, the gear lever doesn't seem to have to move as far. With the SE item originally installed on mine, first gear seemed a long way away - remember mine is right hand drive and so you probably get the same feeling with 5th gear (just the other way around)? The M-Sport Knob definitely improves on that.

The real bonus is that they are a doddle to fit. To remove, the old lever simply 'pulls off' (a bit of force is required). To refit, the new one simply 'pushes on' (again, a bit of force is required).

Here's another picture of mine (again not the best of quality but it's all I have got):
Old 02-20-2009, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung' post='797570' date='Feb 20 2009, 03:12 PM
Hey check and see if the normal shifter on your 530d is the same as the one on the 530i, because if the normal one is the same then I presume that the short one will fit because I have the short one on my 2004 530i.
How easy is the 'short shifter' to fit?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cleung' post='797570' date='Feb 20 2009, 05:12 PM
Good point! I will check that!

Palmo, according to member lospice1 it's not.
Here's a DIY.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='797496' date='Feb 20 2009, 05:20 AM
edit2: Sorry folks! I noticed the petrol cars use the same parts! So is there any petrol OR diesel owner, who has installed a short shifter to his/her pre-03/2005 car?
I installed the post 03/2005 short shifter to my 10/2004 car and it fit fine. The diesels have a thick vibration damper on the shifter, (at least in the realoem pictures) so make sure you transfer that over to the new shifter.

Quick Reply: Short shifter for diesel