E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

shocks and lowering spring over coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into lowing my car and I don't have the funds for a coilovers. So I'm thinking about getting new shocks and spring instead. Would this be ok since it would save me a few bucks.

What struts,shocks, and springs would be the best combo?

I'm currently running a 05 545 sport E60.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

To lower without coilovers and keeping the ride as much as possible.....Eibach pro springs with Koni Sport yellow shocks. You have to use M-sport bump stops in the install.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
To lower without coilovers and keeping the ride as much as possible.....Eibach pro springs with Koni Sport yellow shocks. You have to use M-sport bump stops in the install.

I just spoke to tire rack about this same set up, funny. What is "M-sport bump stops"? what does this mean?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Contributors

It's sort of like a damper or cushion to keep the shocks from bottoming out. Using the stock bumpstop is too long and won't give the shocks enough travel when lowered. However, the M-sport bumpstop is shorter to give the shock more travel while keeping it from bottoming out.

Do you currently have the sport suspension?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Check this thread out:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/102122-koni-yellows/
Old 02-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Members

It's sort of like a damper or cushion to keep the shocks from bottoming out. Using the stock bumpstop is too long and won't give the shocks enough travel when lowered. However, the M-sport bumpstop is shorter to give the shock more travel while keeping it from bottoming out.

Do you currently have the sport suspension?

Yes I have an 05 545 w/ sport.

which Konis are you talking about
Koni FSD Damper Set (Premium, Performance Street, Autocross/Track
or
Koni Sport (Premium, Performance Street, Autocross/Track - I'm thinking about getting these
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Contributors

The Koni Sport...

I've heard about the Koni FSD. However, it seems alot of smaller cars use them. If you look at them they look tiny as hell. I've also read an E60 user in another forum had them installed and they started to leak. The E60 is probably too big a car for them.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Members

The Koni Sport...

I've heard about the Koni FSD. However, it seems alot of smaller cars use them. If you look at them they look tiny as hell. I've also read an E60 user in another forum had them installed and they started to leak. The E60 is probably too big a car for them.
Great thank you for the feedback. I think I'm going to go with this set up!! Just have to make sure I get the M-sport bumps.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I have Eibach ProKit paired up with Bilstein Sports ('05 545 sport) and ride is smooth, OEM like with a conservative drop. With the Bilstein Sport there is no need for a bump stop since they are internal (built in) thus you will not have to worry about buying and trimming or re-trimming to get the right length.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
I have Eibach ProKit paired up with Bilstein Sports ('05 545 sport) and ride is smooth, OEM like with a conservative drop. With the Bilstein Sport there is no need for a bump stop since they are internal (built in) thus you will not have to worry about buying and trimming or re-trimming to get the right length.

Quick Reply: shocks and lowering spring over coilovers