E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Shadowline Trim Vinyl Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so after much debate on here about how hard the vinyl is to "work with" and also how oxidized my chrome trim was. Endless Details took on the task today installing the matte black vinyl trim on my 5 series. took a total time of 3 1/2 hours from start to finish (removing, wrapping & re-installing). it is very time consuming if you want it perfect but it saves a ton of money as i only spent $27 from www.bmwshadowline.com

BTW: even the rear door upper trims are done in 1-piece. it takes alot of heating and major stretching to accomplish the bend with no wrinkles or bubbles, but it can be done.

Before & After Photos Below

Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Contributors

looks oem

curious how the durability of it is after a while
Old 02-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

Thanks man! We will see how they hold up but the material was very good quality....actually far better than i expected.

Taken from their website:

"Shadowline matte & gloss black window trim vinyls are a 2 mil. premium cast vinyl film coated with an automotive grade (OEM) approved permanent pressure-sensitive adhesive for exterior use. Once applied, they produce a "paint-like" finish rated with a 9-year outdoor durability and are guaranteed not to fade, crack or peel and are 100% waterproof."
Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by jay bimma
Thanks man! We will see how they hold up but the material was very good quality....actually far better than i expected.

Taken from their website:

"Shadowline matte & gloss black window trim vinyls are a 2 mil. premium cast vinyl film coated with an automotive grade (OEM) approved permanent pressure-sensitive adhesive for exterior use. Once applied, they produce a "paint-like" finish rated with a 9-year outdoor durability and are guaranteed not to fade, crack or peel and are 100% waterproof."
Good Mod.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

Looking Jay. I want to do mine in carbon fiber vinyl. (I think)
Old 02-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Contributors

Looks really good for vinyl tape! This mod is cheaper but as i found out temporary solutions are a pita. If it craps out after a year then you gotta take it all off, buy more, spend another 3 and a half hours doing another install that is tedious and annoying.

Props to you for spending the time to make it look right!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Looking good bro
Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530ix / E60
Model Year: 2007

Looks good!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Former Vendor

Good vinyl won't fade after a year. It should technically last longer than most of you guys own your cars. I don't like shadowline's vinyl, because it feels a bit more brittle than what I use and work with.

If any of you guys here are thinking of attempting this on your car, I sell the material that I use for $20 shipped.

-Don
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the props!!!!!!!!!!

AWG: your trims looked good painted black as well. i thought about this idea but obviously went the tape route instead. if they do deteriorate eventually then i'll just buy the OEM trims. i could have bought the OEM trims but we always like a challenge at Endless Details

Vlad: i see your car is still in the bodyshop man. what's the update with that & the sideskirts? i know you are dying to have it back by now.

Quick Reply: Shadowline Trim Vinyl Install