E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

shadow grille from bimmian

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fusion' post='637206' date='Jul 31 2008, 11:19 PM
Where can I find some simple instructions on "how to install" the black grill? I really like the look! Thanks!
I just changed out my chrome grilles for a matte black ones last week. Here is a full write up with pics:

1.) I used these tools: Torx Bit (#3), long screwdriver (I taped it up to avoid scratches) and Detail Spray with clay to clean the grille openings.

shadow grille from bimmian-p7211209.jpg

2.) I then removed the hood weather strip; this strip just snaps/unsnaps into a channel exposing the five Torx screws.

shadow grille from bimmian-remove_weather_strip.jpg

3.) Remove the five Torx screws with the drill.

shadow grille from bimmian-remove_torx_screws.jpg

4.) Unsnap the three top clips on the grille (Note: I did the left grille first, and the screwdriver came in handy for prying the middle tabs on the clips).

shadow grille from bimmian-pry_top_clips.jpg

Picture of top clips unsnapped:

shadow grille from bimmian-top_clips_removed.jpg

5.) Work the long scewdriver or your hand around the sides and unclip the two side clips. Your hand can then unclip the remaining two bottom clips. This took the longest for me to do; especially the left side clip due to lack of space.
Picture of left grille removed:

shadow grille from bimmian-grille_removed.jpg

6.) Follow same procedure to remove the right grill. This comes off in a matter of seconds because you can use the left grille opening to easily reach the side and bottom clips.
Picture of both grilles removed:

shadow grille from bimmian-both_removed.jpg

7.) Optional step. I am a clean freak so I clayed the grille openings to remove all dirt, grime, bug guts etc.

8.) Clip the new grilles into the openings. The middle tab on each of the five clips will lock the grille into place nice and tight.

shadow grille from bimmian-black_grilles_clipped_in.jpg

9.) Screw the five Torx screws back in and replace the hood weather strip (it just snaps into the channel).

10.) Clean fingerprints off and enjoy!!!
The total time taken for this was around 15-20 minutes. I wonder what the Dealer would've charged me....

I usually check into this Forum a few times a day, so if you have any questions or get stuck just post them here and I will help you out. Post pics of your grille when it's finished!!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

power drill? wow.. didnt think of that.. i used my old fashioned elbow grease on a torx screwdriver looking thingy.. took me 15 min and i didnt even know where the tools were..lmao

new grills look awesome