E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by pjinca
Agreed, I jsut think someone's a little sour since his exhausts don't have a following here - maybe he needs a hug
Well what he seems to fail to grasp is that RPI does not have such a huge following here because of fanboyism. RPI has a huge following here because so many members are satisfied with their products. Members here are very very picky with their mods and are not easy to please.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Man, I swore once I reached 10K posts, I'm done with this forum.

Anyway, here's my perspective. I'm a fan (not fanboy) of RPI and I consider Eloy my good friend but I also keep an open mind to learn and analyze different factors to formulate my own opinion and not be swayed by the common masses.

I have a lot of respect for the established manufacturers like Remus, SS..etc.. just as much as I have respect for those pesky Mickey Mouse shops like RPI ( I kid). I think a major factor that comes into play here, and as alluded to above by CampioniShop, are the rules and regulations that companies like Remus must adhere to in Europe and perhaps even in the US to get TUV, JWL or whatever other form of approval in order to sell street legal, or even track legal exhausts. Sound and emissions requirements are huge factors that these companies must comply with so it's not as easy as just producing something that makes the most power. Another example is Dinan. Lots of people aren't happy with their prices considering their power output but aside for the recourse cost of one of the best warranties on the market, they also go through CARB approval for most of their products; yet another example of possible restrictions on producing maximum power.

On the other hand, and I could be wrong about this so Eloy can correct me, I don't believe companies like RPI are building exhausts to adhere to such guidelines so their main focus is optimizing output. I'm probably making more power but I'm also breaking a few laws in the process. haha

So...I don't think either company's products are bad. They just build to a different agenda. More options for the consumer. Life is good. Now kiss and make-up.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Well what he seems to fail to grasp is that RPI does not have such a huge following here because of fanboyism. RPI has a huge following here because so many members are satisfied with their products. Members here are very very picky with their mods and are not easy to please.
Yep, especially the M5 owners, they are PICKY!!!! Try telling Tony, Tom or David that RPI isn't good or a "garage engieered" crap.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by pjinca
Yep, especially the M5 owners, they are PICKY!!!! Try telling Tony, Tom or David that RPI isn't good or a "garage engieered" crap.
Or Calton or Mark here on the east coast.

The crappy mods are exposed by members for the craqp that they are -- such as the aFe hot air intake. If RPI made crappy products, members would complain.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Anyway, here's my perspective. I'm a fan (not fanboy) of RPI and I consider Eloy my good friend but I also keep an open mind to learn and analyze different factors to formulate my own opinion and not be swayed by the common masses.

So wait, Eloy is a friend of yours? Oh that's it, that changes everything, Remus all the way baby!!!!!
tony you know you can't go anywhere, how else are we going to know when to go to SLO?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CampioniShop
I had to quote this and chime in.

Having distributed and represented many high end European brands in the last few years, believe me, they do not care about a small time shop (RPi) making such claims. While RPi makes great products and are definately performance oriented, big brands such as SuperSprint, Eisenmann, Remus and Akrapovic do not care. They develop exhaust systems for OEM companies, OE tuners and they know their stuff. To assume since they do not participate in marketing feats by RPi is a proof their system does not deliver their advertised gains is twisted to say the least.

These companies enter comparaison matches in Europe between each other to proove who's the best of the biggest. REMUS has won Auto Sport's comparo in 2008 and 2009. Comparing themselves with small time regional/national shops is lose-lose situation for them. If they win the comparo nobody cares, if they lose everyone jumps on it.

There's a massive RPI bandwagon on this board which says a lot about their quality of their product, but a lot of times it steps beyond support and straight into fanboy'ism. The same can be applied to the myth about quad systems loosing HP. A well developped system like the REMUS or the Supersprint have been dyno'ed to show gains. How has a dyno from RPi become more relevent than a dyno from Remus or Supersprint? Forum blabla.

Matt, the fact that you pulled the quote that you did in post #148 and discriminantly used the quote out of context speaks volumes to which side you are a proponent to, but the fact still stands that the question of which exhaust system are "superior" to a RPI unit still remains to be debated. But the general consensus here is that YES. RPI IS WORTH the $2400 in consideration to all these other "european" units ( that you also are so guilty of being a whore to ) with your OVER INFLATED head about " Eisenmann, SuperSprint, REMUS, lowest bidders? Seriously? Mercedes AMG, Porsche GmbH, Ducati SPa, Bentley, Quattro GmbH " and multi billion dollar time machines. Get real buddy. Heres a band-aid for your versace's man, looking through your product line, I noticed that RPI isn't something that you currently stock, maybe you should give it a try? Wadda ya say? Its funny to me that when I look through the classifieds I see eisie's, Ss's, remus, for sale ALL the time. Reason for sale - "I'm getting an RPI" Sure, there are individuals that might chose the quad route and sell thier RPI to do so, but these instances are RARE and few. There area few points that you make that I do agree with, It's a LOSE LOSE for them to respond to RPI's Dyno challenge. But since you're here now as one of thier " Having distributed and represented " perhaps you could send a few units of these kryptonite remus exhaust systems that " REMUS has won Auto Sport's comparo in 2008 and 2009 " to be "locally dyno'ed for comparison results?" You accuse quite a few members here on the forum of " steps beyond support and straight into fanboy'ism " when you youself is guilty of such for the various brands that you so loyally sell. But as my personal opinion, it seems to me that most of these members who so vehemently in support of the products that RPI manufacture are actually speaking from thier own personal experiences with the product's performances, in addition to the services that are involved during and after the purchase - Versus your opinions about " a small time shop (RPi) " or "REMUS has won Auto Sport's comparo in 2008 and 2009" or " When Eroy will have various LeMans, Formula 1 & 2, Rally Dakar and various other FIA homologated racing series wins under his belt " ...... But hey.. facts are facts. the majority of this forum has seen the transparency in the dyno techniques, they have experienced the excellent performance results, as well as the excellent customer service during AND after the sale. I hope all your customers have won an formula one or lemanns, or maybe a few of them have a multi million dollar spaceship, because according to your response, Those are the most important factors to determine when choosing a exhaust system, in lieu of what the members here have experienced first hand which are not adequate reasons to support a company. My appologies man, I dont own a multi million dollar sound chamber, but to think of it Dinan might not either do they? So they must be a " small time shop " Cheers and good luck with your business. I totally see how and where your market research funds were directed.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Members

My Ride: Current: '08 535i Recent BMW: '95 M3 (swapped) Engine- Swapped '95 S50 with '99 S52 3.2L bored/stroked to 3.3L, kept OBD1 JE Pistons (9.0:1 compression ratio) Pauter connecting rods Schrick Camshafts Vortech V2 w/ custom bypass valve RMS Aftercooler Head modifications Ported and Polished, large valve springs and retainers, Valves Yes, but don't know name Valve springs Yes, but don't know name Retainers Yes, but don't know name Electromotive TEC III stand alone engine management, tuned by Vic Sias of Sias Tuning S50 Intake manifold Dinan Throttle Body 42lb Fuel injectors Custom RMS air intake RMS Header Custom header-back exhaust Quad exit rolled tips, polished exhaust High flow catalytic converter NGK Spark plugs B&M short shift kit Centerforce Dual Friction clutch Odyssey PC 680 Lightweight Battery Exterior- House of Kolor Moondust Silver Custom 1.5" flares molded into body Trim painted and molded into fender flares Dresmann body kit from Germany (front bumper, sideskirts, rear bumper) Kerscher 3 piece CF spoiler - imported from Germany CF side mirrors DTM Authaus CF vented hood Lighting- Gourmet Garage HID's Umnitza Angel Eyes OEM Euro tails Clear corners Interior- Seats Sparco Torino Alcantara door panel inserts silver Brand new OEM ///M3 floor mats Carbon Fiber interior trim pieces Autometer Pro-Comp Boost Gauge Autometer Pro-Comp AFR Gauge New silver/black ///M3 shift knob Custom trunk floor with amps mounted in bottom OMP Racing black suede steering wheel Valentine One hardwire kit/windshield mount Car Audio- Eclipse Head Unit (w/ sub control) Two Diamond Audio Amplifiers Diamond Audio mids, highs in car Two 15" Diamond Audio free air Subs in trunk Street Wires wiring Wheels/Tires, Brakes Front wheels 19x8.5 BBS CH wrapped in 245/35/19 Yokahama AVS Rear wheels 19x9.5 BBS CH wrapped in 275/30/19 Yokohama AVS Stainless Steel brake lines New PBR Metal Master pads in front (less than 500mi) HP Racing 15" Rotor HP Racing 8 Piston Caliper Suspension components- Front springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Coilovers (adjustable) Bilstein front dampers Rear springs/coilovers (brand) H&R Cupkit (adjustable) Bilstein rear dampers Total lowering (inches) (front) 1-3" Front RD Adjustable Sway bar Rear RD Adjustable Sway bar Sparco Front strut brace (adjustable) Energy Bushings NuFormz Chassis reinforcements (custom) Powerflex (brand new less than 1K miles)

I would like to take a moment to thank myself for such a terrific thread.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

we need member RWB/diamond to post here and this thread will be complete...
Old 05-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E36M3
I would like to take a moment to thank myself for such a terrific thread.

Agreed, give yourself a pat on the back for one of the Thread of the Year nominees
Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by CampioniShop
I had to quote this and chime in.

Having distributed and represented many high end European brands in the last few years, believe me, they do not care about a small time shop (RPi) making such claims. While RPi makes great products and are definately performance oriented, big brands such as SuperSprint, Eisenmann, Remus and Akrapovic do not care. They develop exhaust systems for OEM companies, OE tuners and they know their stuff. To assume since they do not participate in marketing feats by RPi is a proof their system does not deliver their advertised gains is twisted to say the least.

These companies enter comparaison matches in Europe between each other to proove who's the best of the biggest. REMUS has won Auto Sport's comparo in 2008 and 2009. Comparing themselves with small time regional/national shops is lose-lose situation for them. If they win the comparo nobody cares, if they lose everyone jumps on it.

There's a massive RPI bandwagon on this board which says a lot about their quality of their product, but a lot of times it steps beyond support and straight into fanboy'ism. The same can be applied to the myth about quad systems loosing HP. A well developped system like the REMUS or the Supersprint have been dyno'ed to show gains. How has a dyno from RPi become more relevent than a dyno from Remus or Supersprint? Forum blabla.
Do you honestly think that the exhaust systems used to race is the same one they sell to the consumer market? Many of the companies use their name to sell junk to the consumer. Have you even taken a good look at some of the systems you mentioned for the E60 cars? The materials, production, etc. are horrible especially for the money. We use the same systems we sell to our customers on our race cars and we prove them on the track. Yes, we also do OEM applications and they are called "private label" accounts, so we dont need to come out on forums to announce it. The quad systems people put on their cars tend to lose power. There is a way around it but the cost would be high due to the amount of design work needed so that the amount of modification needed to fit a quad would be limited. Do you understand why the quad systems people have on their cars have been performing poorly? Please have some technical data to back up your claims. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Seriously, $2400 for a cat back exhaust?