E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seeking jb4 owners, input needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i Msport
Default Seeking jb4 owners, input needed

So gents, snagging my 2010 535 msport tomorrow and of course immediately I'm thinking of jb4. I've looked into it a little bit but thought it would be a good excuse to start a thread. Not to mention the thread on n54 forum is like 60 pages long and who's got time for that. I'm just looking for any input you guys may have. The questions I'm thinking of are:

1) what is the beginning process? Drive in map 0? Or go straight to 1 or 5?
2) how long before doing a wot? A day? A week?
3) any problems with the system? Or suggestions of what they could have done better?

To make the thread a little more interesting I'd just like to hear any jb4 experiences you'd like to share, races, etc. this is basically a thread to keep me pumped until I get mine.

Thanks guys,

Justin
Old 12-09-2013, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I LOVE mine. I would not have the car without one. I run MAPP 1, played with MAPP 2 a little but don't have down pipes. Didn't really notice a difference. I now have dual quads, so maybe I will try it again. I hear MAPP 5 learns your driving style but haven't really used that one either. I guess I am just content with MAPP 1. Gas mileage didn't change that I could tell. I still get 25 ave and 28-30 on hwy. Just make sure to turn that thing off if you take it in for service. They cannot read OBD with it on.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Once you install it put it on map 5 and do 3 3rd gear pulls to get the jb4 used to how your car reacts. If you want a little more kick find some E85, put in 5 gal and top off the rest with ACN91. Then do the pulls again and then hold on.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Once you install it put it on map 5 and do 3 3rd gear pulls to get the jb4 used to how your car reacts. If you want a little more kick find some E85, put in 5 gal and top off the rest with ACN91. Then do the pulls again and then hold on.
I see you're not too far from me amigo. Where do you snag e85 around NorCal?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I LOVE mine. I would not have the car without one. I run MAPP 1, played with MAPP 2 a little but don't have down pipes. Didn't really notice a difference. I now have dual quads, so maybe I will try it again. I hear MAPP 5 learns your driving style but haven't really used that one either. I guess I am just content with MAPP 1. Gas mileage didn't change that I could tell. I still get 25 ave and 28-30 on hwy. Just make sure to turn that thing off if you take it in for service. They cannot read OBD with it on.

Dude that sounds awesome. One of the main reasons I'm switching is the gas mileage. I just like the idea of having the power available. But I don't street race or anything, just need some get up and go sometimes. So are you ever worried about the hpfp? Im a little concerned. I hear bmw extended out a warranty for it but it still scares me that adding all the extra juice might speed up the process
Old 12-10-2013, 02:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

My 08 has had a couple HPFP. I purchased it when it had 25K and it had recently had it replaced. Had it replaced again at 60K and I have 96K now. The newer pumps are lasting much longer but I am not really clear if they ever figured out what the real issue was with it. I waited until 45K or so to install the JB4 just because I was getting close to my end of warranty. I'm not sure if the 2010 has the same HPFP. N55 eng? So it could be different. So in my case I do have the extended pump warranty for 10yr/110 miles but I am not sure if this applies to n55 or 2010 cars. We've had two F10 535's and still have this latest one and never had a HPFP issue with either car. I would just be aware and not forget you have it in there like I did and take it to the dealer and they end up discovering it. I don't think they go snooping, but if it's in there face that's different. And most of the repair visits would cause them to clear a defect code and if the JB4 is out of map 0 they cannot read or clear. Just make sure its back in map 0 of the visit or remove it. You never know about these guys and if they refuse not to cover it.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
My 08 has had a couple HPFP. I purchased it when it had 25K and it had recently had it replaced. Had it replaced again at 60K and I have 96K now. The newer pumps are lasting much longer but I am not really clear if they ever figured out what the real issue was with it. I waited until 45K or so to install the JB4 just because I was getting close to my end of warranty. I'm not sure if the 2010 has the same HPFP. N55 eng? So it could be different. So in my case I do have the extended pump warranty for 10yr/110 miles but I am not sure if this applies to n55 or 2010 cars. We've had two F10 535's and still have this latest one and never had a HPFP issue with either car. I would just be aware and not forget you have it in there like I did and take it to the dealer and they end up discovering it. I don't think they go snooping, but if it's in there face that's different. And most of the repair visits would cause them to clear a defect code and if the JB4 is out of map 0 they cannot read or clear. Just make sure its back in map 0 of the visit or remove it. You never know about these guys and if they refuse not to cover it.
Thanks for all the info man, def weighing all this info you guys are supplying in making my decision. I def think i'm gonna wait now. While it does sound like an amazing mod, I don't think I can risk having to come out of pocket two or three times if they happen to discover it. What I'm thinking is that eventually bmw will find out that people are using these tunes, study it, and develope their own software to find those tunes. I would be willing to bet they're doing all they can to pay for as few of these pumps as possible. I mean all these claims and replacements must be costing them millions. Any idea on what it costs coming out of pocket? oh and yeah i am on n54. funny that they would continue to use the same pump even when they know about the issue. Do like the better gas mileage with the 535 vs 550 tho. plus cheaper insurance
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by Justin66mp
Thanks for all the info man, def weighing all this info you guys are supplying in making my decision. I def think i'm gonna wait now. While it does sound like an amazing mod, I don't think I can risk having to come out of pocket two or three times if they happen to discover it. What I'm thinking is that eventually bmw will find out that people are using these tunes, study it, and develope their own software to find those tunes. I would be willing to bet they're doing all they can to pay for as few of these pumps as possible. I mean all these claims and replacements must be costing them millions. Any idea on what it costs coming out of pocket? oh and yeah i am on n54. funny that they would continue to use the same pump even when they know about the issue. Do like the better gas mileage with the 535 vs 550 tho. plus cheaper insurance
There are E85 stations through out the bay. If you go with the jb4 just uninstall it before going into the dealer. I run a cobb flash tune and all the work I've had done at the dealer has been covered by BMW, including new turbos and injectors. It also helps to have friendly SA too. Just curious where you at in the north bay?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Senior Members

I didn't mean to scare you. I am only saying that if you put it in turn it off before taking it into the dealer. I assume this is YOUR car. You own it and can do as you please. BMW voluntarily made this warranty on the pump so they want a happy customer. Their not trying to get out of replacing the pumps. Some dealers can be prick though. Bottom line if you add a tune they would have to prove the tune actually caused the failure. That's not possible because these pumps were failing frequently anyway.

As for BMW to continue to use these pumps. Well not all are failing just a high percent. They have made several corrections and I think the latest pump seems to be living a long life. So all the old pumps in service parts they had no way of determining if it would fail. So instead of scrapping all of these pumps they just simply extend the warranty. I know someone that had six pumps in a year and half! And I know a few that are still on their original or second one. Do you know if yours have been replaced?
Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
There are E85 stations through out the bay. If you go with the jb4 just uninstall it before going into the dealer. I run a cobb flash tune and all the work I've had done at the dealer has been covered by BMW, including new turbos and injectors. It also helps to have friendly SA too. Just curious where you at in the north bay?
about a half hour north of the city, petaluma. so do you have both? a jb4 and a cobb? betting your car is crazy fast

Quick Reply: Seeking jb4 owners, input needed