E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seat Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d SE 163bhp, Saloon, Grey, no factory fit extras, no mods. (yet...).

Folks,

I have standard black cloth seats in my 520d (not heated) and want to upgrade to sports seats - as the standard ones don't seem to give any later support, and are not doing my back any good.

I have not seen non-leather front sports seats in any e60, so it looks like I will need to upgrade the front seats and the rear bench.

I am not too bothered about the door cards and centre console not being leather - so I don't need them.

Do any forum members have a contact or recommendation to source the seats (other than Ebay salvage - which I check regularly already).

Thanks,

Tim Owen
Old 09-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

Originally Posted by timo' post='1012348' date='Sep 20 2009, 06:03 PM
Folks,

I have standard black cloth seats in my 520d (not heated) and want to upgrade to sports seats - as the standard ones don't seem to give any later support, and are not doing my back any good.

I have not seen non-leather front sports seats in any e60, so it looks like I will need to upgrade the front seats and the rear bench.

I am not too bothered about the door cards and centre console not being leather - so I don't need them.

Do any forum members have a contact or recommendation to source the seats (other than Ebay salvage - which I check regularly already).

Thanks,

Tim Owen
Hey Tim - I had a very bad back after driving around in my e61, but never actually thought is was the car. Guess what seats I have... Sport Seats, I've previously had a merc and audi and never had any back problems but as soon as I got into the bmw I had back ache. The sport seats have very little lumbar support for me, and I thought about replacing the seats but someone suggested opening the rear of the seat and sticking a towel in the lumbar region. But thought this was a bit too radical, instead opted for a small unobtrusive pillow - worked a treat for my back never had any pain since then!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Members

I never understood the no lumbar in the sport seats. Do people with the sport package not drive more then 20 miles in a trip?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d SE 163bhp, Saloon, Grey, no factory fit extras, no mods. (yet...).

Originally Posted by kkrazykool' post='1015106' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:54 PM
Hey Tim - I had a very bad back after driving around in my e61, but never actually thought is was the car. Guess what seats I have... Sport Seats, I've previously had a merc and audi and never had any back problems but as soon as I got into the bmw I had back ache. The sport seats have very little lumbar support for me, and I thought about replacing the seats but someone suggested opening the rear of the seat and sticking a towel in the lumbar region. But thought this was a bit too radical, instead opted for a small unobtrusive pillow - worked a treat for my back never had any pain since then!
The standard seats have very little lumbar support too. My wife has an older Mk IV Golf with sports seats and they support my back much better, and also have good lumbar support. I think you cluld be right about the E60 sport seats as they don't seem to have a great deal of lumbar support either, ust better latteral support. The upshot is that it has even got me looking at moving down to a 3 Series Tourer with sports seats as they seem to have much better support. It is a real pitty as I don't have any problems with any other aspect of the car and much perfer it to the 3 Series. However, I do drive approx 2 hrs a day in it so seats are pretty important to me. Got me thinking that the sports seats change could be a costly waste of money, so thanks for the reply.

Tim
Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Is this a difference between UK and US models (that the sport seats have no lumbar?). I have sport seats with lumbar (US), and they are much more supportive than the non-sport.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport, Visibility pack, Cream Beige Leather, Auto, M rear spoiler, BT Car kit, Folding Mirrors, USB, Business NAV, DAB, High Beam Assist, CD Changer, 172 Alloys, Comfort Seats.

Guys,

I've had comfort seats in my last two E60's, what a difference!

If you can pick some up you will not be disappointed
Old 09-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

Originally Posted by axuklpsyk' post='1016669' date='Sep 25 2009, 01:32 PM
Guys,

I've had comfort seats in my last two E60's, what a difference!

If you can pick some up you will not be disappointed
I read somewhere else that they really are the business
Old 09-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lumbar support is always an option for any kind of seat at the time of purchase (EU)
Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='1016995' date='Sep 25 2009, 03:26 PM
Lumbar support is always an option for any kind of seat at the time of purchase (EU)
i have no comment on the seats. I just caught myself drooling over nicks sig.