E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seat Occupancy Control Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Hey guys, by now we are all familiar with the dreaded passenger restraint error. For those of you that are fortunate enough to be covered by the recall VIN, that's fantastic.

Unfortunately, my car was not, so I looked for an alternative method - a bypass module.

With that said, I can't, for the life of me, find where the occupancy control sensor is. Nor can I find any box that looks similar to what the older model (E39, etc) has under the passenger seat.

Anyone know what I am suppose to be looking for, or perhaps a picture?

Help is greatly greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Are you talking about the OC3 Matt or the actual module itself? I think the module is in or near the door pillar.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...38&hg=65&fg=65
Old 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Hey guys, by now we are all familiar with the dreaded passenger restraint error. For those of you that are fortunate enough to be covered by the recall VIN, that's fantastic.

Unfortunately, my car was not, so I looked for an alternative method - a bypass module.

With that said, I can't, for the life of me, find where the occupancy control sensor is. Nor can I find any box that looks similar to what the older model (E39, etc) has under the passenger seat.

Anyone know what I am suppose to be looking for, or perhaps a picture?

Help is greatly greatly appreciated.

Hey Simon! I am too going through this problem.. what bypass module are you using? are you using this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AMEBOFFX%3AIT

just curious why don't you replace the seat sensor mat instead of using the bypass? it's roughly ~$130

Part no. 65776982974 is for basic seats
Part no. 65779154961 is for comfort/sport/m seats

I am waiting for the sensor to arrive and i'll be bringing it into an indy shop to install. Sorry I don't have an answer to your question.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Contributors

I bought the Bimtronics one, figure it looks pretty straight forward... little did I know.

The reason why not to just replace the mat sensor is because I am afraid the damn thing will just go bad again. According to the dealership's record, my car's sensor was replaced a few months prior to my purchase of the vehicle. The way I see it, if I am in an accident severe enough to set off airbags, I wouldn't want this stupid mat sensor to be an issue -- and it might as well deploy for passenger as well.

Balbs: talking about the module I guess. I can't ID from the diagram from RealOEM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Contributors

I believe it's sensor 4 (B-pillar right). Don't quote me but I thought I saw something before that that sensor could be tied to the OC3 matt sensor for the front passenger.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I bought the Bimtronics one, figure it looks pretty straight forward... little did I know.

The reason why not to just replace the mat sensor is because I am afraid the damn thing will just go bad again. According to the dealership's record, my car's sensor was replaced a few months prior to my purchase of the vehicle. The way I see it, if I am in an accident severe enough to set off airbags, I wouldn't want this stupid mat sensor to be an issue -- and it might as well deploy for passenger as well.

Balbs: talking about the module I guess. I can't ID from the diagram from RealOEM.
Just got off the phone with an indy shop and it cost $400-420 to replace the sensor! that is insane. I think I may go for the bypass route.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Yeah, the problem now is locating the damn plug. I have been back and forth between computer and the car from 1:30PM and still can't figure out where the damn thing is suppose to go.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by r9ndy
Just got off the phone with an indy shop and it cost $400-420 to replace the sensor! that is insane. I think I may go for the bypass route.
Be brave and try a DIY
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/09/42

Simon, have you looked into resetting the module(sensor) itself?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
Be brave and try a DIY
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/09/09/42

Simon, have you looked into resetting the module(sensor) itself?
Nice!!! Thanks for that! I will definately give it a try.

you can actually make your own bypass sensor take a look at this. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1623360
Old 06-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Contributors

Goddamn this. I wrote the manufacture and a member in UK that did this. Going to wait and hear back from them. This is pissing me off royally.

Balbs, tried clearing the code, but if it's a hardware issue, it doesn't get cleared (comes back immediately).

Quick Reply: Seat Occupancy Control Sensor