E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sat Nav - TomTom 1 - i-drive 0

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Just got a ?100 TomTom sat nav for the wife.

Screen size isn't huge, but in terms of functionality it seems to be streets ahead (sorry for the pun) of the ?1600 i-drive sat nav (plus zillions for DVD updates).
The latest 08 models may be better, but just a few features the Tom Tom wins on include:
1) Full post code entry (UK) - only part on BMW
2) Route via function to go by a preferred known road
3) User download of latest mapping
4) User reporting of mapping errors / changes
5) Doanload of speed camera locations
6) Touch screen
7) Range of voices
The list just goes on. And this is the bog cheapest model with no features.
It will even accept the TMC traffic warnings, though probably not worth it as mostly out of date.

We really need user downloadable maps and software for non safety critical elements of i-drive.
Its like stuck in Windows 3.1 when the rest of the world has moved on to Vista !
Old 01-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Preferred route and a few other things you mention would be great but some things you list, such as touchscreen, would not be advances but steps back.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='516485' date='Jan 11 2008, 04:44 PM
Preferred route and a few other things you mention would be great but some things you list, such as touchscreen, would not be advances but steps back.
I really must disagree about your touchscreen comments. I have a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 (now almost 2 years old) which I use in my Toyota Tundra...Mrs. ExGMan has the 2007.2 NavTeq DVD disk in her 8/2006 build 530xi. I find that I can input any information to the Garmin QWERTY-keyboard touchscreen (destination address or restaurant or any variation) about five times faster to the Garmin than I can to the BMW NAV, either using the I-Drive, or using Voice Command. I can be on my way to the new destination in 30 seconds with the Garmin, but would still be twirling the knob, listening to the DVD drive hunt for information, or raising my blood pressure (trying to use Voice Command) if I were in the E60.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Members

I have had Professional Nav, Bluetooth , Voice Control etc in my last 3 BMW's and am going to go down the Tom-Tom (or similar) route myself with my new car.

Portable systems in the UK are one-twentieth of the price of the BMW system and in virtually every area (with the sole exception of not being 'built in') are far better than the BMW systems (far more features, quicker etc etc).

I cannot understand why car manufacturers haven't slashed the prices of integral Sat Nav to try to compete with the portable device market.

I think you'd have to be completely mad nowadays to waste so much money on such a poor quality system.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Contributors

iDrive - Built in to the car. Fully integrated. Mutes the radio, display on the iDrive screen, control using the iDrive controls, no ugly sticky pads and brackets on your window, no wires trailing to your cigarette lighter ... directions show up on HUD, Traffic alerts and auto reroute all built in with no subscriptions...

Sorry, but to me, this makes it TomTom 0 and iDrive 1. If I wanted "functionality", I wouldn't have bought a BMW, I'd have bought a cheap car. What I wanted was luxury, comfort and ergonomics. I had no intention of paying ?50,000 for that, then sticking a ?100 nav unit on to my windscreen so every single driver on the road drives past and goes "sheesh, couldn't afford the inbuilt nav option"

1) Full post code entry (UK) - only part on BMW .... stay around on the board, and you'll find out how to overcome this and get full entry.
2) Route via function to go by a preferred known road ... if you have a "preferred known road", why are you using satnav? Just drive that way and it will reroute...
3) User download of latest mapping ... at a cost! You can buy new discs twice a year from BMW / eBay / etc.
4) User reporting of mapping errors / changes ... I had a tomtom. A new roundabout didn't appear on the maps for TWO YEARS. It was on BMW on the next disc!
5) Doanload of speed camera locations ... see my answer to option 1. You can do this ...
6) Touch screen ... = fingerprints. Give me iDrive controls any day, and of course full speech recognition built in to the car.
7) Range of voices ... GIMMICK! I switch off the voice and just have my HUD display.

Seriously, I happily give up all the "features" of _ANY_ 3rd party nav for the integration (both in terms of actual usage, and the way it looks).
Old 01-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='516504' date='Jan 11 2008, 10:55 PM
I had no intention of paying ?50,000 for that, then sticking a ?100 nav unit on to my windscreen so every single driver on the road drives past and goes "sheesh, couldn't afford the inbuilt nav option"
When I pass them I say "there's another wise person who's not thrown a shed load of money at BMW needlessly for this c**p system that I'm using"!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Ugly they may be, but one other advantage to the portable units is that you can transfer them to other vehicles you drive, either your own, or rental cars for those of us who travel on business. Same basic idea with my Passport Solo radar detector, which is cordless, so a tad less unattractive anyway.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Members

I'm kind of with you all on this one, I think we should all agree to disagree. Each to their own. A bit like talking about politics or religion!

I've come from the Audi camp and had the wonderful RNS-E retrofitted in my last car, about 500 dabs all in. Nothing beats being able to just grab your keys, jump in and there's a big colourful screen, built into the dash, ready to serve. BUT, my last car spent about a third of its life in the $tealers being fettled and boy did I miss the nav in my job when I was stuck in a courtesy/hire car. Tomtom would've been fab.

FYI, I haven't ordered Nav on the (still waiting!) new motor 'cause it's SILLY money for what it is. Luxury and convenience to me means paying double or at a push 3 times the "standard", not 15. Besides, the tax man gets most of it.... But if I had money to throw away, hell yeah, mines the Pro Nav please. I still want it though
Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya I agree most of the hand held NAVs beat most in car Navigations... not just BMW... but its not built in... thats the problem... And I agree touch screen is good for hand held but is not good on a car... I had it on my Lexus and I prefer the iDrive.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

actually i kind of agree about the touch screen vs. idrive. i have a tomtom 920 which has a remote. who will ever thought it will be of any use when you get the touch screen...

however i play around with it and the remote seems pretty useful. i originally thought i would toss this in the garbage but i think i will leave it in the car since having a remote (it's a bluetooth remote so don't need line of sight, what a cool thing) as input is pretty useful.

Quick Reply: Sat Nav - TomTom 1 - i-drive 0