E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Saddest day in my E60 life :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Yeah, that truly sucks. Obviously, the most important part is the car did it's job well enough that your mom walked away from what easily could have been a fatal or at least a serious-injury accident. They'll get your car fixed as good as new. Hang in there. Best wishes for your mom as she'll probably be sore for a few days after a jolt like that.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 330I ZHP

Glad ur Mom is OK! There are tons of 5er out there...
Old 09-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530D touring automatic gearbox panoramic sunroof titan-grey metallic black comfort seats navi professional sunshades in rear doors HUD Xenon voice control sports suspension PDC cd-changer Shadow-line Bluetooth Auto-dimming mirrors Dark-wood trim Heated seats

Originally Posted by bubajay' post='1011620' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:38 AM
My mom saw that it was somewhere between 40 and 50. That's why my dad and I are sooooo pissed off at BMW. My mom got an error code that said: "SRS Malfunction" WTF is up with that? If they fix my car, I am gonna look to get an M Tech bumper or SOMETHING outta them. This is BS.

What if my mom had been going much faster....she wouldn't be here right now and whose fault would that be? Of course the responsability is the drivers, but if the safety features aren't working, WHY THE HELL PAY 65k for that crap??? I could pay 20k, get a civic, and never have to worry about that crap happening. Think you guys understand how frustrated I am.
First of all, glad your Mother is OK, that is the most important thing.
But:

The safety features were working, airbags are only deployed if the accident is serious enough to do so, you do not want to replace all of them after hitting a curb. The SRS-malfunction came after the accident, maybe because of the crash sensor that needs to be replaced. I understand your frustration about your mom having an accident but the accident did not happen because of the car being faulty but your mom not paying attention at the traffic and after that hitting the wrong pedal.
You say what if she were going faster, but what if she was trying to brake because of a group of kids crossing the street near a school and hit the wrong pedal ?
On the other hand, i know that some car dealers buy accident-cars, override the airbag sensors and let you drive a car without airbags and let you think the car is fine .. until you get into another accident.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Glad to hear you mom was not injured. The car is replaceable. She is not.

The fact that she walked away uninjured indicates to me that there was a reasom that the airbag did not deploy. If she could drive the car away and was not injured from a front end impact without an air bag deployment leads me to believe that the speed at the moment of impact was mowhere near 40-50 mph. An impact at the speed would have completed destroyed the front end and the engine, making the car undriveable.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry but if no airbags deployed your mom was not going 50!! Unfortunately I have been in 2 accidens with my beloved 5er. First one I hit the guy in front of me at 25 mph at the MOST in tight traffic-airbag deployed, front alum frame bent and the battery cable automatically shuts off in a collision where any sensors get thrown in an airbag-so car is not driveable. Needed 13k worth of work but was fixed up like new.

1 year later someone rear ended me at a red light-no airbag and trunk/bumper needed replaced.

I am glad your mom is fine and it was not worth-but if the car was that bad-an airbag would have went off-and if it did not then I would be concerned. Knowing it did not why would it be totalled?

this story doesnt make sense-sounds like a very minor fender bender where you need a new hood and bumper-come on now
Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Too bad about the accident ... but at least your Mother is OK. Cars get fixed and in the case of ours, it's very very expensive. But that's what insurance is for.

You may be SHOCKED at the estimate for repairs - and oil usually means drivetrain damage as well as bodywork, etc. Most of the stuff up front is aluminum and requires repair at a BMW Certified Center - DON'T expect a run of mill bodyshop to handle this one! And, don't get jerked around by the insurance company - lots of posts with advice!

Good luck - keep us posted ... you'll get lots of advice that may help!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

No way she was going 40-45 anything above 30 in a crash wouldve totally crushed the front of the car and made it undriveable and set off the airbags. Those videos of car crash testing is about 40 miles an hour, so its highly unlikely she went that speed.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Wow Sorry for the bad news ... car can be fixed and/or replaced just glad you Mom OK ... GL!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Contributors

If my mom ended up being OK, she wouldn't be after she got back to her house and I came to see her. So sorry about your car.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

The car is nothing but a hunk of metal, your mom is not replaceable. Glad she is ok.

Quick Reply: Saddest day in my E60 life :(