E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Run Flats & New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005 | 04:25 PM
Contributors

While I'm waiting for my car to be built and delivered I've been considering some new wheels. I would like to stick with the tires the come on the 545i sport but put them on new wheels. Do I need to have a specific type of wheel for the run flats? Also I assume I can use any type of wheel with TPM, am I right? One last question, do I get a spare tire and jack from BMW with the run flats? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-09-2005 | 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by f6maniac' date='Mar 9 2005, 05:25 PM
do I get a spare tire and jack from BMW with the run flats?? Thanks for your help!
[snapback]99344[/snapback]
Yes you do.

as for the RFT on a new rim I dont know sorry.
Old 03-09-2005 | 07:56 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by f6maniac' date='Mar 9 2005, 06:25 PM
While I'm waiting for my car to be built and delivered I've been considering some new wheels.? I would like to stick with the tires the come on the 545i sport but put them on new wheels.? Do I need to have a specific type of wheel for the run flats?? Also I assume I can use any type of wheel with TPM, am I right?? One last question, do I get a spare tire and jack from BMW with the run flats?? Thanks for your help!
yes, the bmw wheels are made for runflats in that they have an extra lip designed to hold the tire on the rim when its flat. IMO, sell both tires and wheels if you want new. Lots of complaints about the run flats and I think the ride quality is pretty bad. I may sell my tires when I get my car, but I'll keep the wheels most likely.
Old 03-09-2005 | 07:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by f6maniac' date='Mar 9 2005, 06:25 PM
While I'm waiting for my car to be built and delivered I've been considering some new wheels.? I would like to stick with the tires the come on the 545i sport but put them on new wheels.? Do I need to have a specific type of wheel for the run flats?? Also I assume I can use any type of wheel with TPM, am I right?? One last question, do I get a spare tire and jack from BMW with the run flats?? Thanks for your help!
There is no TPM with the run-flats, it's a FTM. The difference is, with TPM, you can view your exact tire pressure for each wheel on your car. With FTM, it only informs you if one of the tires loses a lot of pressure. You do get a spare tire (on a steel rim) and a jack from BMW with the run-flats.
Old 03-10-2005 | 08:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Mar 9 2005, 10:56 PM
yes, the bmw wheels are made for runflats in that they have an extra lip designed to hold the tire on the rim when its flat.? IMO, sell both tires and wheels if you want new.? Lots of complaints about the run flats and I think the ride quality is pretty bad.? I may sell my tires when I get my car, but I'll keep the wheels most likely.
[snapback]99431[/snapback]

This is not correct. The wheel is not different. The same wheel can run RunFlat and regular tires. There is no extra lip on wht wheel.

The Dunlop runflat tire on the other hand has a rib on the sidewall to help protect the wheel in the event of a flat.
Old 03-10-2005 | 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by f6maniac' date='Mar 9 2005, 09:25 PM

================================================== ==

To answer your question about aftermarket rims, stay with BMW OEM, NO FAKE or REPLICAS BMW wheels for your new e60!

Here is the best price I had found in the USA on factory BMW OEM wheels: BMW Wheels - Chapman BMW - AZ

Some BMW owners said the "run flats" tend to ride rough, I do not know, but that was what I was told by some e60 owners. IO bought 245/40/18 Proxes 4's and they have no read noise, and handle quite well!

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best with your new Bimmer!

Presley348
Old 03-10-2005 | 10:17 AM
Contributors

Thanks guys for the info. A question for Presley348. I saw your post about the style 71 wheel and they look great. I went to the BMW Wheels link you provided and looked at the style 71 and the discription says for run flats only. That makes me think that I need a specific type of wheel for the run flats. Will you be using run flats on this wheel? I seem to remember some other posts by you about BMW wheels so I assume you have looked into this indepth. I'm interested in any advice you can offer. I'm considering the style 101 wheels, but the discription doesn't say for run flats. You don't think thats a problem?
Old 03-10-2005 | 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by f6maniac' date='Mar 10 2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys for the info.? A question for Presley348.? I saw your post about the style 71 wheel and they look great.? I went to the BMW Wheels link you provided and looked at the style 71 and the discription says for run flats only.? That makes me think that I need a specific type of wheel for the run flats.? Will you be using run flats on this wheel?? I seem to remember some other posts by you about BMW wheels so I assume you have looked into this indepth.? I'm interested in any advice you can offer.? I'm considering the style 101 wheels, but the discription doesn't say for run flats.? You don't think thats a problem?
[snapback]99645[/snapback]
================================================== ===

Hi f6maniac:

I saw the same thing, and I do not think it really matters to run flats or not, because my BMW Service Advisor dealer knows I have not got run flats, but TOYO Proxes 4's 245/48/18's and yesterday he said they will work well on my style #71 BMW OEM when it arrives in the next few days.

You might want to ask your BMW dealer and see what they say.

I wish you the best, and stay in touch.

Presley348
Old 03-10-2005 | 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by f6maniac' date='Mar 10 2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys for the info.? A question for Presley348.? I saw your post about the style 71 wheel and they look great.? I went to the BMW Wheels link you provided and looked at the style 71 and the discription says for run flats only.? That makes me think that I need a specific type of wheel for the run flats.? Will you be using run flats on this wheel?? I seem to remember some other posts by you about BMW wheels so I assume you have looked into this indepth.? I'm interested in any advice you can offer.? I'm considering the style 101 wheels, but the discription doesn't say for run flats.? You don't think thats a problem?
[snapback]99645[/snapback]
At same site for the 101 for the 6 series (my vested interest) it does say for run flats only. I'm guessing here, but the 5er can come with or without runflats in that size - so they need not specify. The 6er, however, is only offered with run flats in the size offered so they say with run flats. I am in the camp that believes the wheel itself does not make the difference wether you run run flats or not.
Old 03-10-2005 | 11:39 AM
Senior Members

If you are going to get new wheels, here is the absolute BEST thing you can do to improve your car's performance and driveability.

Get 19" wheels from Tirerack, and have them mount and balance a set of premium tires such as the Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. A premium set of wheels (such as BBS) will run around $2800 at Tirerack, and are FAR better than the OEM BMW wheels at about the same price. I cannot overemphasize how big a difference you will see in your cars handling, acceleration, braking, ride, and overall feel.

I picked my car up ED with the OEM runflats and wheels. I switched them for 19" wheels and the Goodyear F1's upon US pickup. The car acellerates brakes and quicker, handles far, far better, and rides smoother and quieter. I have my winter setup on the car now, 18" OEM rims and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, and I cannot wait until I get the 19" wheels back. The difference is like driving two different cars.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Run Flats & New Wheels