E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

"Run flat tyres" vs. "Tire Pressure Monitor" featu

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 04:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525d Touring; Black-Sapphire; Black Dakota Leather; Steptronic; Navigation System Business; Roofbars; Power Glass moonroof; Power seats with Driver memory, Heated front seats; PDC-Park Distance Control; Xenon Headlights with Adaptive Light Control; Radio Professional with 6 Disc CD-Charger in Glovebox;

Hello to all,

This is my first time in the forum and I've just ordered my car yesterday "525d Touring", so the question comes direct without the oportunity to check it "in loco".

My question is: for the "Tire pressure monitor" to work properly do the wheels need to be official from BMW and have Run-flat-tires (the salesman told me so) or the system works with any wheels and fited tires?
Can someone give me a hint of how the "Tyre Pressure monitor" system works? Is it via sensor inside the tyre? by change in the suspension goemetry or what?

My car will be delivered with the basic style 134 / 16-inch wheels with Winter Tyres on.
I saw in this forum that they are no longer produced, but I don't think its right since they still are the Standart Wheels for the 523i, 520d, 525i and 525d cars in Germany.

But I still know that in 2 months time I'll want to upgrade it to some 18-inch Summer tyres and wheels, wanted to check if I could run away from "Run-flat-tyres" and eventually oficial BMW wheels.

Talking about wheels, I saw in this forum the availability of M6 like wheels in the 18-inch dimension.
Does any one has pictures of how would a E61 Touring without M-Package look like with those wheels???

Thanks,
Albano Magalhaes
Old 03-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d se auto. black sapphire, 17" 5 spoke 138 style alloys. dark poplar trim, charcoal flat weave cloth, bluetooth phone prep, dimming rear view and side mirrors, lumbar support, heated front deats, phone cradle

Welcome,
New wheels and tires should be fine on your car and the 'tire pressure monitor' should work fine also. The way the tire pressure monitor works is by wheel resistance. Eg If you have a flatter tire it causes more resistance and this slows the wheel down compared to the other wheels, setting off the tire pressure monitor. The problem with this system is sometimes wheelspin starts or slippery conditions can set off false tire puncture alarms, so it's adviseable to not believe entirely what the car is telling you.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d Touring; Black-Sapphire; Black Dakota Leather; Steptronic; Navigation System Business; Roofbars; Power Glass moonroof; Power seats with Driver memory, Heated front seats; PDC-Park Distance Control; Xenon Headlights with Adaptive Light Control; Radio Professional with 6 Disc CD-Charger in Glovebox;

Thanks a lot 525dse.

I found your answer a short and very efficient one.