E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI Scoops anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RPI had a dyno shoot out between M5/M6, and the highest rwhp on DynoDynamic only 425.x (///Marshall) and with at least ten M5/M6 I personally have seen on his dyno, stock M5 put out 38x-39x, and with scoop put out 40x rwhp. ///Marshall M6 has evosport headers, Dinan Exhaust, scoop, powerchip ECU, 3.91diff, pulley and BMC filter with charcoal removed.

Usually, the stock M5 put down 420x rwhp on dynojet

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/usa-west-...-shoot-out.html
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e6...t-part-2-a.html

What the setting on the dyno machine in term of correction factor(SAE) and inertia. my SAE set to zero and 170 inertia due to light wheel. The best to do during the calibration, the ramp up and ramp down should be identical. That way u know the dyno appropriate apply the friction during the dyno.

Again, the dyno only good for pre/post mods. It a relative comparison, not absolute.

I did so many run with fellow M5/M6 and no way stock M5 will be able to keep up on straight highway run.

Regards,

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='684722' date='Oct 3 2008, 01:17 PM
Nice dyno results but if you read the entire thread you will notice a few things.
A stock dyno result for that particular car was never given. A typical stock e60 M5 will dyno at ~420 rwhp (give or take) on a dyno dynamics machine.
The first dyno with the "scoops" made (398 rwhp). Thus this car lost ~20 rwhp compared to a typical stock e60 m5.
Installing different scoops reclaimed the lost hp and made ~6 rwhp more at the top. Considering an M5 revs to 8K+ RPM 6 rwhp sounds feasible but in reality it can be that this M5 is a stronger one than the norm. Regardless no human can feel a 6 rwhp difference in a 3600+ lb car.

Not trying to poop on your party just trying to save you the time, sweat and money that I have already invested to find out what works and what does not. You can believe the guy trying to sell you something to make a buck or the guy that is trying to tell you to save that buck because he has already been down that road.

My late father taught me to never ever leave the house without a few hundred bills in my wallet and to pay everything with cash. He always joked if you get robbed you need to give the robber something. If only more of us would do that then we would not be in this economic mess we are in. $700 billion to bail out the rich bankers so they can lend us more money thus making themselves more money.

BP