E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI scoop install

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

My mechanic was changing a flat for me ,so I thought I would ask him to install my scoop ,purchased from a member here.
He was not able to screw down the bottom portion in as he said tHe surface was not flat.He feels it will be fine with the 2 top screws and the 3m tape underneath.Thoughts?
Jeff
Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

Can't see why he couldn't fix it. I got all mine in. Just take your time and it will work. Best wishes.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

a little effort, some double sided tape to hold it in place, and a stubby screw driver and it will hold just fine....it's really not that hard to DIY either , hardest part is removing the grill to get to the area IMO
Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

I am now wondering if I purchased a 550 model scoop which I assume is a different shape from the one made for the 535? Thanks for any advice.
Jeff
Old 01-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Banned

My Ride: E60 550i

Jeff
the 550i scoop is DIFFERENT from the 535i scoop....

I installed the 550i scoop on my 550i and it works great

We made a little video on the install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eEl5ohPXo9o

Originally Posted by ottawarealtor
I am now wondering if I purchased a 550 model scoop which I assume is a different shape from the one made for the 535? Thanks for any advice.
Jeff
Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bimmerzone
Jeff
the 550i scoop is DIFFERENT from the 535i scoop....

I installed the 550i scoop on my 550i and it works great

We made a little video on the install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eEl5ohPXo9o
Thanks for the info.I guess I will just monitor things and see if I have any issues.It looks secure and seems to be in the right position
Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I ran into the same problem you're describing during my install. There is *NO* way that can fit cleanly with the screws provided. It's not flat and it's actually concave/inverted at that spot and due to the way it fits right above it's nearly half and inch or more away. There's literally no clean way for the bottom part to push up against the plastic cover. You have to use a real long screw, bend the metal, or use tape/some other adhesive method to get it to stick. I'm curious how anyone could use a screw that's about 1/4th and inch and get that on.. you must have some magic tricks up your sleeve..
Attached Thumbnails RPI scoop install-rpi2.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by crypto
So I ran into the same problem you're describing during my install. There is *NO* way that can fit cleanly with the screws provided. It's not flat and it's actually concave/inverted at that spot and due to the way it fits right above it's nearly half and inch or more away. There's literally no clean way for the bottom part to push up against the plastic cover. You have to use a real long screw, bend the metal, or use tape/some other adhesive method to get it to stick. I'm curious how anyone could use a screw that's about 1/4th and inch and get that on.. you must have some magic tricks up your sleeve..
Exactly what my mechanic found.Mine is now dangling at the bottom and only attached at the top Hope it holds and performs
Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Banned

My Ride: E60 550i

ouch..... in the future you do need the correct scoop, just give me a shout

Vincent

Originally Posted by ottawarealtor
Exactly what my mechanic found.Mine is now dangling at the bottom and only attached at the top Hope it holds and performs
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bimmerzone
ouch..... in the future you do need the correct scoop, just give me a shout

Vincent
I got mine (as seen in the picture) from you guys.. so I hope/assume it was the right one. If it's not.. do let me know! The box you guys sent it in did say 535i on it (albeit written in pen) and that's what I ordered.

Quick Reply: RPI scoop install