E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI Scoop on a Diesel engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550i sport package black on black, Dinan intake, Throttle body, Stage 3 programming Mtech body kit, 172 wheels wrapped in ps2's, 2nd set of wheels Breyton Race Gts silver also on ps2's....waiting on stoptech big brake kit, and dinan exhaust...

diesels can always use more air, this is why they use turbos, anytime u can get more air into a diesel, you will make more power, i had nitrous on a diesel truck i owned, never had an issue, and it was scary fast, plus its not as harmful on diesel engines, just a thought.....
Old 08-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Interesting, i will follow this thread with interest as i asumed this would make no difference as the speed of the turbo spooling would not be changed, so you can only draw a certain amount of air anyway!!! i might be wrong so please post your findings
Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Members

I will keep you guys posted. My scoops have left the US a couple of days ago, they should arrive in about a week. After a road trip in Germany on the Autobahn, I drove most of it with speeds in excess of 200km/h, for a couple of days and accumulated about 5000km. I made the oil and air filter change afterwards. My air filter was distorted, it looked like the engine sucked so hard from it that it bent the filtering element upwards, towards the engine air inlet.
Therefore, I guess the more air you can put in there, the better. The turbos will spool the same, but air can be more dense if we have positive rather than negative pressure in the airbox.
Not to mention that the engine is sucking air from the airbox, by creating negative pressure inside it and it consumes energy to do that. If we can feed it the air, rather than letting it suck it, we gain that energy and put it on the road instead.
I don't think the scoops will help with gaining HP (with air sensors and everything regulating the airflow inside the engine), but I think it will create a crisper acceleration response by eliminating the gap between the time the engine asks for more air and the time it receives it.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

There is plenty you can do to the diesel. I have an RS500 intercooler sitting in my shed will get it fitted this time home. I have been getting quotes for a full stainless exhuast, doing away with the cat and DPF then intend getting it mapped again, should be awesome.

My car is running around 340bhp and 700nm just now and is very rapid

Remember and put up some pics of it fitted I do fancy the same.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Members

I don't know about the remap you did to your cars guys, but here in Bulgaria (Eastern Europe) after doing a remap, most of the cars blow out significant amounts of black smoke through the exhaust. I hate that!!! :thumbsdown: That is the only thing that is stopping me from doing it my my car. Is it the same with your rides? Or you maybe have better tech guys?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

If it blows smoke the mapper is crap. A remapped car should be no different than a standard car in terms of smoke.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Members

If it's blowing lots of black smoke, it means probably it's running rich (more fuel and not enough air to burn it all). If the smoke is white, you're burning oil and probably your turbine will not last much longer.
I wouldn't know about chip tuning and smoke, I have DPF, therefore, no smoke at all.

PS. My scoop arrived today. I will have it mounted... test in a couple of days.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by terente0081' post='968222' date='Aug 7 2009, 12:07 AM
If it's blowing lots of black smoke, it means probably it's running rich (more fuel and not enough air to burn it all). If the smoke is white, you're burning oil and probably your turbine will not last much longer.
I wouldn't know about chip tuning and smoke, I have DPF, therefore, no smoke at all.

PS. My scoop arrived today. I will have it mounted... test in a couple of days.
Exactly - black smoke means more fuel, not enough air. More power is ok, but still i think it looks like cr*p when you drive such an stylish, expensive car as the e60 and when you press the trottle, you get lights out!

Can't wait for the update on the RPI scoop
Old 08-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Members

Well, RPI Scoop is mounted. Mounting process was very easy, took about 10 minutes. It took more time to take the kidney grills out than to actuallty mount the scoop. I was very tired at the time I mounted it, I didn't close an eye last night... you can imagine it.
City driving back home to get some sleep, I haven't noticed much (and all I noticed I thought it's because I'm tired and my senses are not that good), but the engine sound seems to have changed, the car seems to pull a little better, but I have to test it thoroughly. Highway driving should really make the difference. I know how my car pulls, I will have to see if it pulls differently now, with the scoop on.
I will also take some pics and I will keep you guys updated.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Originally Posted by terente0081' post='968549' date='Aug 7 2009, 05:20 PM
Well, RPI Scoop is mounted. Mounting process was very easy, took about 10 minutes. It took more time to take the kidney grills out than to actuallty mount the scoop. I was very tired at the time I mounted it, I didn't close an eye last night... you can imagine it.
City driving back home to get some sleep, I haven't noticed much (and all I noticed I thought it's because I'm tired and my senses are not that good), but the engine sound seems to have changed, the car seems to pull a little better, but I have to test it thoroughly. Highway driving should really make the difference. I know how my car pulls, I will have to see if it pulls differently now, with the scoop on.
I will also take some pics and I will keep you guys updated.
looking forward to a proper run with feedback. By the way what engine size you running?

Quick Reply: RPI Scoop on a Diesel engine?