E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is the trade off of using the RPI scoop? I can't imagine that BMW would sacrifice 5-8hp at the wheel in order to save what amounts to <$1 of materials per car. (Of course, I'm not saying that the RPI scoop is worth less than what they're charging for it with all the work that went into taking it from idea to product so no flames please. And I did do a search before asking.) I wonder what the air pressure increase is post-air filter. Can anyone here quantify that? I know we've probably got a bunch of scientists and enginerds here. With other intake mods, I've read that the air becomes turbulent/resonant/etc. which messes with the the ignition timings-->loss in HP in everything except WOT and decreased fuel economy.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BenH' post='934699' date='Jul 6 2009, 09:14 PM
So what is the trade off of using the RPI scoop? I can't imagine that BMW would sacrifice 5-8hp at the wheel in order to save what amounts to <$1 of materials per car. (Of course, I'm not saying that the RPI scoop is worth less than what they're charging for it with all the work that went into taking it from idea to product so no flames please. And I did do a search before asking.) I wonder what the air pressure increase is post-air filter. Can anyone here quantify that? I know we've probably got a bunch of scientists and enginerds here. With other intake mods, I've read that the air becomes turbulent/resonant/etc. which messes with the the ignition timings-->loss in HP in everything except WOT and decreased fuel economy.

Thanks,
Ben
Well, I think I might have just revisited some sort of religious thing... I just did more reading and searching on the forum for RPI scoop and found the one where 545OH got banned. I'm not entirely sure why because he was just asking what I thought were genuinely legitimate questions and being skeptical as we all should be. (I haven't looked into why he was banned the first 3 times.)

Anyways, before anyone here accuses me of being 545OH or any of his past accounts, let's just forget I asked. Anyways, gotta get back to work.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bespoke1' post='934473' date='Jul 6 2009, 05:51 PM
RPI scoop plus Dinan CAI plus Sprintbooster equals fun!!!

Great combination!
+1 and bigger smiles on joo face
Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Members

I'm not saying that it does, but I believe the air MAY become turbulent and resonant... but that's pre air filter. The filter should take out most of the turbulences and "atomize" the air going into the engine. I don't think it will cause power loss, that only happens on badly designed air intakes. With the RPI Scoop you get to keep the factory air intake, you just force more air into it. So when the engine asks for air, it will have plenty of it available.
Many users on these forums installed the scoops, none complained about power loss, on the contrary, they were pleased with the mod. I still wonder how this scoop would work on a turbo-diesel engine. Those engines really like air. I will install one in my 535d and see how it goes.