E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI exhaust, scoop, and ESS tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just rechecked the manual. No, the unit will not tell you if the dealer reflashed your software. You will have to find that out yourself I guess (maybe I'm reading it wrong). That said, if they did reflash the software, the unit can be asked for a code that can then be sent to ESS so that you can get an updated tune file to use.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

also, depends on your relationship with your SA/dealer, some might let you take your back without flagging your car so you can return your car back to stock, but again, it's a crap shoot..
Old 05-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Members

Thanks everyone for the input.

The verdict for me is scoops and exhaust only. No ESS tune.

Although nice, Sounds like too much of a hassle and risk to try and hedge my chances against the dealer with a tune.

If I wasnt on an extended warranty I would go for it.

Now the trick is to get RPI to expedite one. Apparently they're on backorder for 5 weeks.

On a side note, just got a nice Huper Optik tint job done by STM Solutions in Los Angeles. They're the best in the business. great service.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tron 550
Thanks everyone for the input.

The verdict for me is scoops and exhaust only. No ESS tune.

Although nice, Sounds like too much of a hassle and risk to try and hedge my chances against the dealer with a tune.

If I wasnt on an extended warranty I would go for it.

Now the trick is to get RPI to expedite one. Apparently they're on backorder for 5 weeks.

On a side note, just got a nice Huper Optik tint job done by STM Solutions in Los Angeles. They're the best in the business. great service.
Great choice going with an RPI exhaust, make sure to post a clip of it after it's installed bet it is gonna be sick.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AngelSlayer
Just rechecked the manual. No, the unit will not tell you if the dealer reflashed your software. You will have to find that out yourself I guess (maybe I'm reading it wrong). That said, if they did reflash the software, the unit can be asked for a code that can then be sent to ESS so that you can get an updated tune file to use.
I know you made up your mind but I'm adding this note so that I provide the correct info for future readers.

I spoke with AJ at ESS and the Direct Flash unit *WILL* auto detect whether new software has been written to your ECU and will prevent a bad flash. After detection the unit supplies you with a code that again needs to be sent to ESS for new tune files but it looks like it does have the proper safety mechanisms built into it which is great.