E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Round Vision / View - Cameras in mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:15 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I recently got hold of the ACM and am still wondering if I really need it. I bought it simply to keep the Group Buy going but I've also been doing some reading up.

Instead of the front and rear cameras I actually wanted to install cameras in the mirrors to see how close I was to kerbs etc. It was one of those Eureka ideas which when you do some looking around you realise has already been done. I found various Japanese cars have this feature but then I found the attached picture in the ETK. Has anyone heard of it, seen it?

What about part numbers for it. If you look at the ETK screen I think its wrong because although the part listed is part 2 (rear camera) the part description says mirror cameras. However the mirror camera parts don't show up for the e60 but neither does the front camera but various people have installed it. I remember seeing a promo video for the self parking BMW and that seemed to suggest side cameras at the time.

Can someone also remind me what the part numbers for the front prism and the rear camera are please.

Round Vision / View - Cameras in mirrors-roundview.jpg
Old 11-25-2007, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

That's the first I've seen any mention of side cameras -- neat find Bruce!

I think the part number 2 that is listed in your diagram is the one for the side mirror cameras. Take a look at the following realoem diagrams:

Round Vision:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...;fg=95&hl=2

Front Camera:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=66&fg=95

Reversing Camera:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=66&fg=95
Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

I saw that on realoem, in fact that diagram is even more confusing. It doesn't even make any mention of the side cameras in the diagram. The part is number 2, which in the diagram points to the front prism camera. But the part number and the description are the same as the ones I posted.

The front and rear camera links seem to be the entire retrofit kits and not only the camera themselves.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, Bruce, that front and rear links are entire retrofit. I believe BMW does not sell rear or front cam individually. Here is the installation instruction for front camera and as you can see they sell it as a package.
BMW_Rear_Cam.pdf
Old 11-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Contributors

Fred, Didn't some people here install the BMW front and rear camera with the ACM. How did they get hold of the parts then.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Contributors

OK I found it.

Looking at http://bmwfans.info/part-66210301009/ you can see the front camera is 84 21 0 304 187
Looking at http://bmwfans.info/part-66210412010/ you can see the rear camera is 66 21 0 407 000

But when you look at the Round Vision http://bmwfans.info/original/E60/Lim/550i-...66/ill-66_0107/ it starts getting interesting. Because according to this site the Round Vision is actually a complete kit of the front and rear cameras along with the ACM too! Absolutely no mention of a side camera in the set.

So I put my part number in the URL directly http://bmwfans.info/part-66210417353/ and voila a part appears. Its again a Retrofit kit but with mirror cameras. Its for X3 E83 LCI and the actual camera part number is 66 53 3 418 694 but only for the passenger door mirror. But its the same part for the RHD and LHD drive cars so I think its the same camera used on both sides.

And then there is http://bmwfans.info/original/E70/SAV/X5%20...66/ill-66_0141/ which is again for the passenger side only for the E70 in Japan.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are these camaras really not used to check for blind spots when you change lanes?

The reason why i am asking is because we are currently putting a bit of resources in working with the chip manufactures for the car industry in developming cmos sensors that will eventually replace the outside mirrors and instead we will have small lcds in the car.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Contributors

They are supposed to be for blind spots.

Update : I tried calling BMW and checking prices for the cameras themselves on their own and no luck. BMW wont sell the parts seperately, they must be ordered as the entire kit.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black BMW 525i Touring

Hi Bruce,

I have installed the ACM with a rear camera. When you do that the LDV converter is no longer required. As far as I know you can only add the front and the rear camera to the ACM unit. I have not seen the option to add the mirror camera's before.

Rear view works like a charm.

Midget
Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Midget, Did you have to buy the entire front and rear retrofit kits but only use the cameras from them with the ACM? It seems better to buy the entire Round View kit 66 21 0 420 510 if you want ACM, front and rear cameras.

Quick Reply: Round Vision / View - Cameras in mirrors