E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Roof and Trunk Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my Hamann roof spoiler and ACS deck spoiler. I wanted to know which is the best way to attach the spoilers. The roof spoiler came with double stick tape, but I don't think that will be strong enough. The trunk spoiler came with double stick tape and a couple of screws. I'm not to keen on drilling holes in my trunk.

So, I was wondering what the rest of you used to attach your spoilers. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by acs5' post='671978' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:32 PM
I just got my Hamann roof spoiler and ACS deck spoiler. I wanted to know which is the best way to attach the spoilers. The roof spoiler came with double stick tape, but I don't think that will be strong enough. The trunk spoiler came with double stick tape and a couple of screws. I'm not to keen on drilling holes in my trunk.

So, I was wondering what the rest of you used to attach your spoilers. Thanks in advance!

DBBL stick tape will work perfectly if the part fit is correct..............all major after market and option body parts "usually" attach this way .......good luck
Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Senior Members

I used tape and kit. My experience is that only tape is not enough especially when the fitment is not 100%. I gues the Hamann's will fit perfectly.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:44 AM
Members

I'm not as concerned about the trunk spoiler as I am with the roof spoiler. Because the roof spoiler will be more open to the draft or wind, I'm concerned that double stick tape won't be strong enough to hold.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by acs5' post='672133' date='Sep 18 2008, 06:44 AM
I'm not as concerned about the trunk spoiler as I am with the roof spoiler. Because the roof spoiler will be more open to the draft or wind, I'm concerned that double stick tape won't be strong enough to hold.
cant you use an adhesive with the tape as welll..?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Hi all!

I am having fittment problems with my ACS rep spoiler. it needs a strong hold, and i am wondering what i should stick it with. I have used double tape, but it starts leaving a gap from the corners.

I have heard of some silicon glues, but would that spoil the paint also in case i want to take it off in future? else, What options do i have?

Thanks . Please help!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Insane Devil' post='740288' date='Dec 7 2008, 10:41 PM
Hi all!

I am having fittment problems with my ACS rep spoiler. it needs a strong hold, and i am wondering what i should stick it with. I have used double tape, but it starts leaving a gap from the corners.

I have heard of some silicon glues, but would that spoil the paint also in case i want to take it off in future? else, What options do i have?

Thanks . Please help!
If Industrial Strength, 3M double sided tape is not working, then silicone is your only other option. Unfortunately, the only downside to silicone glue is that it will ruin your paint/trunk, should you want to remove the spoiler in the future. :thumbsdown:

Just curious, but where did you get the spoiler from? For a few hundred bucks, you can get yourself an authentic RD Sport or Reiger Spoiler. Both of those easily mount with double sided tape with no fitment issues.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Insane Devil' post='740288' date='Dec 7 2008, 08:41 PM
Hi all!

Thanks . Please help!
I used a combination of 3M doublesided molding tape and a tube of BetaLink. That shit really works, basically it the same stuff they used to install glass windshields and body panel mouldings. Go to your dealer and the should carry a BetaLink kit at the parts department about $12. Becareful though as that stuff is messy, but works like a champ! Once you install the spoiler you are gonna have to tape and clamp it down for 24hours. Check the DYI seciton, I think member pingnk has a DYI with pictures.

GL
Old 12-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Hi C!

I bought it from ebay from a seller named "amebawings". Both the Roof and Trunk spoiler are a bad fit.

I somehow got the roof spoiler to fit in with some rubbing in.

Could you please be kind enough to show me where i can buy the RD sport / Reiger spoilers? I like them, but didnt find the authentic ones to be reasonablly priced, way too high i found.

Thanks a lot mate!

@ IceyTys : I know the sililcon glue u talking about, but as C said, it will spoil the paint of the trunk if i want to take off the spoiler in future.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Insane Devil' post='740561' date='Dec 8 2008, 10:12 AM
Hi C!

@ IceyTys : I know the sililcon glue u talking about, but as C said, it will spoil the paint of the trunk if i want to take off the spoiler in future.
Well...yes......but why would you want to take it off ever .(unless you were leasing or something)....at least that my logic....

Quick Reply: Roof and Trunk Spoiler