E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rim bent, new tire destroyed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I got the dreaded flat tire message today again. I just got new rear tires (Falken FK 452's 275/30/20) 2 weeks ago so I was HOPING this wasn't a rear tire this time. It was. Took my car to the tire shop I got the tires from (Tires Warehouse in Fountain Valley - great prices because they ARE the wholesaler for most tire dealers in SoCal). They discovered the rim was bent and the tire was destroyed by the bend. Too bad I turned down the tire insurance when I bought them huh?
Anyway, they recommended a place in Santa Ana called New Year Wheel refinishing. They fixed my wheel for $65, thinking of using them when I finally get a chance to redo my wheels - they can do 2 color powder coating, reasonably.
New tire gets installed tomorrow and yes, this time I am buying the insurance. New tire with insurance? $19. New tire without insurance? $240

Moral of the story? Get the friggin insurance
Old 05-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with the new tire buddy, hope all works out
Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M5

Sorry to hear that, man... that sucks!

Just wondering... who is offering that tire insurance you're talking about? The tire dealer?
I remember that when I bought my CPO 530i, the BMW dealership offered me a wheel & tire insurance (I believe) - but only if I stick with the OEM 18-inchers the car came with (OEM style 123 - not ugly, but not really mind-boggling either.. ).
But, since I already knew that I wanted some aftermarket tires in 19 inch, I asked them if they'd be covered too, but they said 'no'. And that's when I turned the offer down and never looked back since.

So, is that the same deal you can/will get that I was offered by mu $tealership as far as "insurance" is concerned?
What kind (OEM style?) rims do you run, pjinca?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ZGERMAN
Sorry to hear that, man... that sucks!

Just wondering... who is offering that tire insurance you're talking about? The tire dealer?
I remember that when I bought my CPO 530i, the BMW dealership offered me a wheel & tire insurance (I believe) - but only if I stick with the OEM 18-inchers the car came with (OEM style 123 - not ugly, but not really mind-boggling either.. ).
But, since I already knew that I wanted some aftermarket tires in 19 inch, I asked them if they'd be covered too, but they said 'no'. And that's when I turned the offer down and never looked back since.

So, is that the same deal you can/will get that I was offered by mu $tealership as far as "insurance" is concerned?
What kind (OEM style?) rims do you run, pjinca?
Ok.. sorry. Just saw the wheels you have in your sig (didn't show when I wrote that previous post...)
So... they are really offering insurance for aftermarket gear??
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

The tire dealer is offering insurance for the tires, not the wheels. The wheels are my responsibility. That said, he said the coverage is that within 12k miles they give me a new tire free, I just pay mounting and balancing ($19), after 12k they prorate the coverage based on the age/miles of the tires. So a new tire would have been $19, I still would have had to get the rim fixed on my own.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Most tire shops that I have gone to offer tire insurance. And it's usually $20 too.

It's one of those things that I always buy because it does really cover your ass if some random crap happens. For example, Discount Tires, if you have their tire insurance, you can go to them to get a flat fixed. If it's not repairable, it's an entire replacement.

I vaguely remember something similar for alignment as well.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
The tire dealer is offering insurance for the tires, not the wheels. The wheels are my responsibility. That said, he said the coverage is that within 12k miles they give me a new tire free, I just pay mounting and balancing ($19), after 12k they prorate the coverage based on the age/miles of the tires. So a new tire would have been $19, I still would have had to get the rim fixed on my own.
Yep, that seems much to be a much more feasible thing to do for the tire shop...
Dang! I was hoping for a moment that you may have found a shop who would insure my aftermarket rims, too. Then again, $19 is definitely much better than $240 - even if it that insurance doesn't cover the wheel. Guess I'll have to ask my tire shop about it next time...

Thanks for the info... and good luck with the new tire (and insurance) then!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that John, good to hear its getting taken cared of
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 E60 530i

Damn that's not good. It has to be a severe bent if the tire can get damaged by it. Didn't you feel any vibration on the steering wheel or seats?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all! Hope things change soon!

Quick Reply: Rim bent, new tire destroyed!!!