E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

A Right Hand Drive Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 540i M Sports with professional pack (2007 Mode Year and MSport option in US Speak)

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone from the right hand drive part of the world ever looked at the difficulty or otherwise of swapping the blinker and windscreen wiper stalks over ?

If you live in a right hand drive country and are constantly swapping between local manufacture / Japanese manufacturer cars with the blinkers on the right hand of the steering column it becomes a pain to constantly remember "which car am I in" when you need the blinkers or wipers etc.

I'm just wondering how hard it would be to do........
Old 07-26-2007, 03:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Not really a solution, but I would suggest that you change the stalks on the Jap cars you drive!!

Here in our Right Hand Drive world, we get Euro cast-offs, which means we have to suffer LHD stalks and wipers. Also, the vast majority of Jap cars here have stalks the "wrong way round" i.e. LHD. I would think that if it bothers you a lot, it would be a relatively simple matter to source some RHD stalks etc for your favourite Jap car and fit them to it.

I know what you mean about it being awkward. I also drive an old Brit car, and it does take a bit of adjustment to get "in the groove" again - plus the fact that it only comes out on high days and holidays. I always find myself trying to turn up the radio (to compensate for the horrendous wind and road noise) with steering wheel controls I haven't got. Then, when I get back into the 5er, I try to engage overdrive (that I haven't got) with the headlight flasher.

I recall in the dim and distant past (the 1980's) when I was driving half a dozen different cars a day, it didn't bother me at all. Perhaps I'm just getting old!!

Mike
Old 07-26-2007, 03:48 AM
Members

In Japan, both LHD and RHD car are allowed.
Local manufacture RHD car ( e.g. Toyota, Nissan ) has right hand steering colum for blinkers, and imported car ( e.g. BMW ) has left side stick for blinkers on both LHD and RHD model. Local shop have a such service to swap that but that is very rare just for emergency vehicle, taxi and driving school cars.

Yes, I did operate wrong bar when I changed my car.
Imagine, you do pull the bar for passing signal that was wrong side......