E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Reverse HID install with John and a quick drive through NYC

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out

I'll be posting the positive feedback in the appropriate section, but I just wanted to share my pleasant experience dealing with John today. I literally was only supposed to go up there to pick up the stock exhaust I inquired about but I somehow got suckered (lol JK) into purchasing the HID reverse kit that I was too scared to tackle on by myself so I figured hey why not just have John install it and we cut a deal for the exhaust pretty much for free if I purchased the kit. I left DC at 5AM and I made it to John's place by 9ish. John was pretty damn on point and finished all of the work in less than 2 hours. He even installed the switch for me and routed the wire through my car, which was a little tricky for him since I don't have rear fold down seats. In the middle of the install we were just BS'ing and he asked me what brand of aftermarket LEDs I had for my rear plate. I told him I didnt know but that I was pretty happy with them as they were pretty damn bright already. Well... John being the business man he is popped m current one out and put in one of the Mtec lights for me to compare and I was F**ckin shocked to see how weak the ones I got looked side by side so again BAM another purchase added to my tab. . Damn you JOHN.

Well, When all the work was done we had to go pick up the stock exhaust from John's buddy's place in the Manhattan area so I just let him drive the 545 from his place in Brooklyn to there. FYI.. JOHN IS A CRAZY ASS DRIVER. LOL.. The whole time he was behind the wheel I was scared sh*tless since I normally don't ride shotgun in my own car, especially when someone is driving pretty damn fast and hard in the busy streets of NYC. John said he barely stepped on it but good Lord i was kinda impressed cuz he knows the roads like the back of his hand and dodged almost all potholes and obstacles with ease. I texted him when I got back to DC to let him know that he inspired me to just let loose and open my girl up on the NJ turnpike and loved hearing the RPI roar all the way home. Raced a few other cars on the freeway but nothing major.

Great experience, Great vendor and awesome person to deal with. Thanks again John. Here are some pics of the day AND JOHNs Sexy M5. We saw a matte black lexus on our way back from his buddy's pad. Not too sure how I feel about it. John even took us to Junior's to get some cheesecake

One thing I'm trying to figure out is why does the drivers side burn brighter then the passenger. I first thought it was the angle of the bulb, but after moving them up and down to ensure both are level I found that the left did in fact burn brighter. I also thought that they just needed time to warm up but that too did not solve the problem. Its not that bad but once I see something that doesn't look right my eye focuses on it automatically every single time.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

wow...

that GS looks like a lump of shit on the road

:l

...but the HID reverse r awesome

bright ass hell!!

loves mine
Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Members

will mtech bulbs for rear plate be brighter than piaa's?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Actually, that's the LS, lol.

Nice, we have another member with reverse HID in the club
Old 07-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Members

yeah look like left is brighter than the right...
Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

i stand corrected...

that LS looks like shit

...and i think it looks brighter just because of the pic

ive gotten that effect when i took pics
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Its not the pic. I actually toned down the ISO and apeture inside my camera prior to taking the shot in order to tone down the additional light and properly identify that the left was shining a bit brighter. After a while looking at it started to kill my eyes even though it was like 2230 at night and I had my oakley's on. LOL. Like I said it's not a big deal. I just can't for the life of me figure out what the issue is.

@ ac525- Not sure about that one, I'd ask John on that one, but the Mtec plate lights were significantly brighter than my JVL ones or whatever John Identified them to be.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by AC525
will mtech bulbs for rear plate be brighter than piaa's?
MTECs are definitely brighter than PIAAs. PIAA uses 3 LEDs and a resistor while mine uses 2 CREE LEDs! It's even brighter than the RDash 15 LED license plate lamps!!!

Yes it does look brighter on that side. It could very well be the bulb. But r u sure it's not angled properly? have someone push the bulb slightly higher and see if it makes a difference.

I do not drive crazy!! Wasn't even too fast since it was ur car. LOL. Now if u were in my 545, it would be different,.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
MTECs are definitely brighter than PIAAs. PIAA uses 3 LEDs and a resistor while mine uses 2 CREE LEDs! It's even brighter than the RDash 15 LED license plate lamps!!!

Yes it does look brighter on that side. It could very well be the bulb. But r u sure it's not angled properly? have someone push the bulb slightly higher and see if it makes a difference.

I do not drive crazy!! Wasn't even too fast since it was ur car. LOL. Now if u were in my 545, it would be different,.

john you do drive crazy... like i do... since we are damn asian driving like it is a honda civic !!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Lol HID Reverse FTW!

Hey John, post up some pics of that white LED with the switch!

Quick Reply: Reverse HID install with John and a quick drive through NYC