E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Retrofit heated steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I've got a sports steering wheel with SAT. But it's not heated. When I ordered by car, the option wasn't on the list - by the time it was already in production, the option had appeared (for about ?110) but it was too late to add it to my car I didn't mind at first, but now we are in winter, and having experienced my wife's X5 with heated seat, I really really want this option.

So, is it possible? Would the car need reprogramming? I haven't got a clue where to start ... other than saying "my hands are cold, please help!"
Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='511438' date='Dec 28 2007, 02:46 PM
Hi,

I've got a sports steering wheel with SAT. But it's not heated. When I ordered by car, the option wasn't on the list - by the time it was already in production, the option had appeared (for about ?110) but it was too late to add it to my car I didn't mind at first, but now we are in winter, and having experienced my wife's X5 with heated seat, I really really want this option.

So, is it possible? Would the car need reprogramming? I haven't got a clue where to start ... other than saying "my hands are cold, please help!"

First, whats up with the creature with the horns? I don't want to see that thing in my sleep...

I have the heated wheel and love it. I live in the Northeast US. I would guess your build date would determine if you can add the heated wheel and activate it. If the required wiring isn't built in I doubt you can easily add it if at all.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I actually believe that the heated steering wheel should be very easy to retrofit especially since its offered as an option. When I took it I had to take the heated front seats too but boy do I love that option. I thank my wife for insisting that I take that. The heating element in built into the wheel and has no idrive controls so all it requires is a switch to control the 12v supply to the wheel and you should be done.

I'm on holiday at the moment so dont have access to the WDS to verify my thoughts but I'm sure someone will chime in.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='511438' date='Dec 28 2007, 08:46 PM
Hi,

Let us know, Russ : I forgot to get it at the time of the order and on mountain @ -15? C the steering is *extremely* cold, although the seats are heated .
Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Engine: 545i

I have it and it's a cosy little option.

I'm in the process of retrofitting the smg paddle kit from Fred - which uses the heater pins through the coil spring - gonna bring parallel cables through the coil spring so I don't lose that heater option, it's that great during winter !

The coil spring is the same part no. for heated/non heated so no problems there Russ. You will have to change the switch element on the steering wheel and bring power from a point located close to the lights switch on the left dashboard console.

Retrofit heated steering wheel?-heater.jpg
Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='511682' date='Dec 29 2007, 07:39 PM
I have it and it's a cosy little option.

I'm in the process of retrofitting the smg paddle kit from Fred - which uses the heater pins through the coil spring - gonna bring parallel cables through the coil spring so I don't lose that heater option, it's that great during winter !

The coil spring is the same part no. for heated/non heated so no problems there Russ. You will have to change the switch element on the steering wheel and bring power from a point located close to the lights switch on the left dashboard console.

Attachment 42326

We will not need to change the steering ?!?!?!
I thought so .
Wonderful!!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='511688' date='Dec 29 2007, 08:12 PM
We will not need to change the steering ?!?!?!
I thought so .
Wonderful!!
Of course you will Alex - you need the heated element in the rim. I didn't post the pic as this is rather self explanatory, sorry.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='511690' date='Dec 29 2007, 08:26 PM
Of course you will Alex - you need the heated element in the rim.
Ah, ok
It seemed strange indeed .
Old 12-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Contributors

I expect a new steering wheel will be very expensive ... it's one of those things that you can order as an "I want this instead of this" option and it's cheap from the factory. But to get a new sport steering wheel with paddles, airbag, with the right buttons to match my spec, I think it's going to be stupidly expensive. If anybody with enough parts knowledge could perhaps take a guess at what parts would be needed along with prices, it would be appreciated. Once I know it's going to be ?2,000 I can get the nagging thought out of my head and learn to live with what I've got !
Old 12-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='511880' date='Dec 30 2007, 05:05 PM
I expect a new steering wheel will be very expensive ... it's one of those things that you can order as an "I want this instead of this" option and it's cheap from the factory. But to get a new sport steering wheel with paddles, airbag, with the right buttons to match my spec, I think it's going to be stupidly expensive. If anybody with enough parts knowledge could perhaps take a guess at what parts would be needed along with prices, it would be appreciated. Once I know it's going to be ?2,000 I can get the nagging thought out of my head and learn to live with what I've got !

We should get it on eBay at the first chance . Maybe the new M5 heated one, but on eBay.de every ad of M5 steering wheel arrives to EUR 6-700 .

Quick Reply: Retrofit heated steering wheel?