E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Retro fit aux for ipod

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006 | 01:59 PM
Members

Hi

I have a Sept 2004 E60 525 SE D. It has a six cd changer in the glove box and is also fitted with Bus Sat Nav. I have been trying to find out if I can have an additional power supply and Aux imput fitted. My dealer says no, but another says it can be done for ?250.

I asked a non BMW radio shop whether it could be done and was told it was not possible as he would use the same output that the cd changer would use so I would lose the use of the changer. Not all that important if I can get access to the Ipod.

So I am looking for the definitive answer to this.

Seems a lot of knowlegable on this site so I am hoping for a informed reply.
Old 06-27-2006 | 04:37 PM
Contributors

5_series_aux_input.pdfI hope this document helps you. Print it out and bring it to dealer.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2006 | 01:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kjhkent' post='304137' date='Jun 27 2006, 10:59 PM
Hi

I have a Sept 2004 E60 525 SE D. It has a six cd changer in the glove box and is also fitted with Bus Sat Nav. I have been trying to find out if I can have an additional power supply and Aux imput fitted. My dealer says no, but another says it can be done for ?250.

I asked a non BMW radio shop whether it could be done and was told it was not possible as he would use the same output that the cd changer would use so I would lose the use of the changer. Not all that important if I can get access to the Ipod.

So I am looking for the definitive answer to this.

Seems a lot of knowlegable on this site so I am hoping for a informed reply.
The aux input can be fitted to ANY e60 - official - and it DOES NOT affect your cd stack - I have both working in my car.

You will need to have it fitted by your dealer though as it requires a software update for the idrive to recognise it. Some dealers really haven't got a clue on this - the one that did mine hadn't done it before and I had to hold his hand through the whole thing. He even sent a car over to borrow my ipod to test it

My 530i has posted an essential thread on modifying the cable which is essentially to achieve decent sound quality.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23293&hl=ipod

Sounds scary - but I did it and it was REALLY easy.

Remember also that the input and your power supply can go anywhere - mine are in the passenger footwell. I think this is alot better than the glovebox cause you will need to be able to reach the ipod to control it when driving.

I have a brodit non damaging mount for my ipod that keeps in nicely in reach:

Old 07-08-2006 | 01:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

I have April 2005 Build e60 , will mine require software update to do the aux mode? my dealer here (jack ass) says its not possible unless I loose the CD Changer
Old 07-08-2006 | 01:20 PM
Contributors

Not true. AUX has nothing to do with CD changer.
Old 07-08-2006 | 01:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Originally Posted by my530i' post='308359' date='Jul 9 2006, 03:20 AM
Not true. AUX has nothing to do with CD changer.

doesnt it look like its going to the same plug as the cd changer or there is just another empty socket where it hooks up? and is the software update needed for the aux input?
Old 07-08-2006 | 02:15 PM
Contributors

Look at the document. It does not require to touch anything relates to CD changer. Coding is a must for AUX.
Old 07-08-2006 | 02:20 PM
Senior Members

ok so i am screwed as my dealer does not know jack and i don suppose there is anyway to code the idrive with the OBDII so i will just keep on listening to songs the 20th century way in a 21st century car.... isnt that messed up that BMW didn deisgn an option for mp3 players , iPod to be exact for the new iDrive....
Old 07-13-2006 | 06:08 PM
Contributors

Just a small opinion of mine but maybe they've got the new iDrive interface for the iPod which supposedly make you lose your CD changer. Maybe this part is already released over there for some crazy reason. Maybe the dealer is not talking about the AUX port but the iPod Interface. Just a crazy thought of mine. But double check and see if BMW is crazy enough to release the ipod adapter way early over there... LOL.
Old 07-13-2006 | 06:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='310484' date='Jul 13 2006, 07:08 PM
Just a small opinion of mine but maybe they've got the new iDrive interface for the iPod which supposedly make you lose your CD changer. Maybe this part is already released over there for some crazy reason. Maybe the dealer is not talking about the AUX port but the iPod Interface. Just a crazy thought of mine. But double check and see if BMW is crazy enough to release the ipod adapter way early over there... LOL.
This may very well be the case - last year I wanted to have the aux input installed. The dealer said "So you can use an ipod?" and of course I said sure. Then the dealer told me that ipod wasn't available yet for the 5er (he was right) and I couldn't convince him that the Aux was something different. I had to start over at a different dealer (I'm fortunate to have 2 within reasonable distance) and then everything went fine...

Cheers, Jon.

Quick Reply: Retro fit aux for ipod