E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

resonator removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Hey guys,

To the guys with the 545/550s, how much louder did the removal of the resonator make your car sound? My buddy had the same thing done to his 02 540i/6 and it sounded really really nice, very mellow actually, just slightly louder in the low/mid range, but when it's on WOT it gets quieter. I wanted to know if that sounds like the 545/550s. Thanks!

Dan

BTW, do any of you have any pics of the exhaust tips once you modified it with the straight pipe?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by dapel' post='367437' date='Dec 14 2006, 12:31 PM
Hey guys,

To the guys with the 545/550s, how much louder did the removal of the resonator make your car sound? My buddy had the same thing done to his 02 540i/6 and it sounded really really nice, very mellow actually, just slightly louder in the low/mid range, but when it's on WOT it gets quieter. I wanted to know if that sounds like the 545/550s. Thanks!

Dan

BTW, do any of you have any pics of the exhaust tips once you modified it with the straight pipe?
do you mean only removing the resonators and keeping the stock muffler?
i got straight pipes after getting my remus, so i don't know how it would sound. but my experience was that removing the resonators made the car only about 1/3 to 50% louder. more importantly, it changed the tone - more raw, more backfires, actually sounded decent at high rpm instead of dead quiet at high rpm, etc.

if you're comparing e60 to e39, i think the old 5 sounded better...i remember the e39 540s w/ exhaust and no resonators sounded more like american muscle cars. for example, a 540 w/ straight pipe and remus exhaust sounded much deeper and more aggresive than my 545 w/ straight pipe and remus.

about the tips, i don't think anyone here has replaced their muffler w/ straight pipes too. that would be very very loud. i wonder if it'd sound good though...hmm
Old 12-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='367533' date='Dec 14 2006, 05:22 PM
do you mean only removing the resonators and keeping the stock muffler?
i got straight pipes after getting my remus, so i don't know how it would sound. but my experience was that removing the resonators made the car only about 1/3 to 50% louder. more importantly, it changed the tone - more raw, more backfires, actually sounded decent at high rpm instead of dead quiet at high rpm, etc.

if you're comparing e60 to e39, i think the old 5 sounded better...i remember the e39 540s w/ exhaust and no resonators sounded more like american muscle cars. for example, a 540 w/ straight pipe and remus exhaust sounded much deeper and more aggresive than my 545 w/ straight pipe and remus.

about the tips, i don't think anyone here has replaced their muffler w/ straight pipes too. that would be very very loud. i wonder if it'd sound good though...hmm

You know what, I got confused for a quick sec there. I was thinking that the muffler is the resonator and vice versa. Actually what my buddy with the e39 540i was delete his muffler first (easy task since the rear bumper doesn't have the cutout for the tip) and then deleted his muffler. THEN it sounded mean.

Now if I deleted my muffler only and somehow got the shop to attach dual chrome tips to it then that would be interesting. I think the muffler would be more effective than deleting the resonator. I'm gonna call up the shop guys and ask them about this mod. They're the same guys that modded the pipes on the 540 and it sounds better than any $2000 aftermarket exhaust out there, and for only $200 too!

BTW, the 540 with all those straight pipes didn't sound THAT loud either, it's sound shines in the low/mid end. However, I did notice a slight loss of low end power. Too much flow......... but sounds gooooooooood.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by dapel' post='367541' date='Dec 14 2006, 05:37 PM
You know what, I got confused for a quick sec there. I was thinking that the muffler is the resonator and vice versa. Actually what my buddy with the e39 540i was delete his muffler first (easy task since the rear bumper doesn't have the cutout for the tip) and then deleted his muffler. THEN it sounded mean.

Now if I deleted my muffler only and somehow got the shop to attach dual chrome tips to it then that would be interesting. I think the muffler would be more effective than deleting the resonator. I'm gonna call up the shop guys and ask them about this mod. They're the same guys that modded the pipes on the 540 and it sounds better than any $2000 aftermarket exhaust out there, and for only $200 too!

BTW, the 540 with all those straight pipes didn't sound THAT loud either, it's sound shines in the low/mid end. However, I did notice a slight loss of low end power. Too much flow......... but sounds gooooooooood.
i know member hamann5 replaced the muffler w/ straight pipe on his 525 and it sounds great, although he said he lost lots of backpressure too. i don't know of any v8 cars here who've done it. if you try it, let me know how it turns out cause i might be interested in doing the same!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='367553' date='Dec 14 2006, 06:05 PM
i know member hamann5 replaced the muffler w/ straight pipe on his 525 and it sounds great, although he said he lost lots of backpressure too. i don't know of any v8 cars here who've done it. if you try it, let me know how it turns out cause i might be interested in doing the same!

Well since the 525 is only a 6cylinder engine I wouldn't be too surprised if the loss is really noticable, but in our torquey V8s, especially the 550, hopefully all the torque will be able to backup the extra flow. I'm really curious now as how it'll turn out, I'd rather delete the muffler than the resonator because the resonator is what keeps the droning and moaning down. HA!

Dan
Old 12-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='359825' date='Nov 23 2006, 05:18 PM
doubt any more power...

my experience was that replacing the resonators w/ straight pipes reduced backpressure and made acceleration slower. high end power was a bit better but low end torque suffered too much , so overall worse across the entire rpm range.

but then after deleting charcoal filter, replacing stock air filter w/ k&n, and letting the computer get used to the new setup, the car pulls harder now so i'm probably back to square one, acceleration-wise.
Jet 190rs, that is because the back pressure is syncrnized with the intake. SO a restrictive intake needs a higher backpressure. take this example, grab a straw and blow into it, is the same amount of air going from 1 side to the other with force, if you open the tail end of the straw you will loose the force but if you open both ends you will be getting more air in and out equaling to some performance gains in older cars and not ours since our magnificent computers handle the rest for optimal fuel consuption and what it feels is right. I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig some time this week (i opened another tread though) in removing my resonatros in my 550 and splitting the pipes into 2 exhausts. will see how it sounds then.
Thanks for your comments about the loudness as that got me a bit worrysome and I think a 50% increase in sound will be nice as my car is very quiet.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

EDIT: sorry double post.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='367839' date='Dec 15 2006, 11:35 AM
Jet 190rs, that is because the back pressure is syncrnized with the intake. SO a restrictive intake needs a higher backpressure. take this example, grab a straw and blow into it, is the same amount of air going from 1 side to the other with force, if you open the tail end of the straw you will loose the force but if you open both ends you will be getting more air in and out equaling to some performance gains in older cars and not ours since our magnificent computers handle the rest for optimal fuel consuption and what it feels is right. I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig some time this week (i opened another tread though) in removing my resonatros in my 550 and splitting the pipes into 2 exhausts. will see how it sounds then.
Thanks for your comments about the loudness as that got me a bit worrysome and I think a 50% increase in sound will be nice as my car is very quiet.

Hey I'm thinking about doing the same thing this weekend at the shop to my car. They said they can retain stock look by adding dual chrome tips so that'll be nice. But I'll probably leave the resonator stock and drop in a K&N w/removed charcoal filter. But let us know how it goes especially since we both have nearly identical cars.

Dan

BTW, what is your "Capped intake resonator" mod?