E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

replacing my battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

i need a new battery and i called to get price quotes. 850 amp battery installed was $480. Install time they said was just over an hour. They said it had to be programmed, and that 2006 was the first year batteries needed programing. I have done some searching on the forum and have read that the whole programming issue was B.S. Anyone ever pay the dealer to do it?...if yes how does this price look?

Should i just buy a battery and do this myself? I have a friend who is a certified mechanic and could help me with something this small. Suggestions?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Black/Black Premium/Sport Package Bluetooth iPod Retrofit Matte Black Grills HID Fogs 5000K BMC Filter RPI GT Exhaust RPI Scoop M-Tech Front

It's the same as replacing a regular battery. Changed it myself about a month ago. I bought the battery at Batteries Plus for 119.99.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='1039718' date='Oct 24 2009, 05:23 PM
i need a new battery and i called to get price quotes. 850 amp battery installed was $480. Install time they said was just over an hour. They said it had to be programmed, and that 2006 was the first year batteries needed programing. I have done some searching on the forum and have read that the whole programming issue was B.S. Anyone ever pay the dealer to do it?...if yes how does this price look?

Should i just buy a battery and do this myself? I have a friend who is a certified mechanic and could help me with something this small. Suggestions?
That sounds like BS to me. I own a transport company and we often swap batteries in BMW's and I've never heard of a repro needed and have never seen an error come up. I think its probably just a standard battery swap. If you look at the battery it has standard terminals I cant imagine it needs coding. $480 seems very high imo.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='1039718' date='Oct 25 2009, 01:23 AM

I bought a new battery with higher amps so the dealer recommended registering it. Please note that it was only registering the battery needed, not programming the whole car! I changed the battery myself and they quoted 35€ (52,56$) for registering.

I think it's not necessary to program the whole car for just to get a new battery with higher amps.

edit: They told me the registering is just telling the IBS the new amps so that the system knows how to charge the new battery.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Members

My Ride:

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='1039718' date='Oct 24 2009, 11:23 PM

Its not B.S at all the car does need to know it has a new battery so it can charge it correctly. especially if you go for a AGM battery thats the black one that comes in all new bm's now. its more efficient and got a longer life but less amps thats why you need to tell the car that so the smart alternator reduces how much power it puts to it. I had it done to my car and i work for bmw so i know a little bit hope this helps you.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1039721
Its not B.S at all the car does need to know it has a new battery so it can charge it correctly. especially if you go for a AGM battery thats the black one that comes in all new bm's now. its more efficient and got a longer life but less amps thats why you need to tell the car that so the smart alternator reduces how much power it puts to it. I had it done to my car and i work for bmw so i know a little bit hope this helps you.
I wont be getting the AGM battery. I will most likely buy the exact same battery that came in the car. If its not the exact same battery it will be the same specs.

im still confused on what i should do. I think nearly $500 dollars for something this simple is extremely overpriced.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1039721' date='Oct 24 2009, 06:44 PM
I bought a new battery with higher amps so the dealer recommended registering it. Please note that it was only registering the battery needed, not programming the whole car! I changed the battery myself and they quoted 35? (52,56$) for registering.

I think it's not necessary to program the whole car for just to get a new battery with higher amps.

edit: They told me the registering is just telling the IBS the new amps so that the system knows how to charge the new battery.

i just replaced mine also and spent about the same money...

it is not reprogramming it.. all it does it plug obd2 connecter to the computer and tell them it has a new program so that alternator will not over charge the new battery because if it is not reset, alternator will think that the vehicle still has old battery and will try to charge it more than it needs to so it will basically will cause battery to charge more than it needs, which can reduce the life of the battery...
Old 10-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

When I had to replace mine about 2 years ago, I purchased one from Batteries+
It's a very easy DIY, just be careful b/c the battery is heavy as sh*t.

Never had any problems since then, MY2004 545i
Old 10-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='1039846' date='Oct 24 2009, 11:16 PM
When I had to replace mine about 2 years ago, I purchased one from Batteries+
It's a very easy DIY, just be careful b/c the battery is heavy as sh*t.

Never had any problems since then, MY2004 545i
+1 Replaced mine with one with OEM specs from Batteries Plus. No programming needed. DIY and save $300.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='1039846
+1 Replaced mine with one with OEM specs from Batteries Plus. No programming needed. DIY and save $300.

i think i will go this route. i will also call the dealer and see what they charge just to hook up the computer thing and register the battery so it doesnt over charge. they told me it was around an hour so it shouldnt be anything over $75.

Quick Reply: replacing my battery