E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Replace normal automatic gear shift with SAT gear shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys,

question to the experts: you think it is possible to change the lci normal automatic gear shift with the SAT gear shift? could not find the parts on realoem so really cant tell...

rumman
Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

You mean to get the paddle shifting ability? Maybe, check w/ my530i for his steering wheel paddle shift mod (I'm using his mod on my pre-LCI) but I think to be fully SAT capable that will have to involves some sort of transmission controller swap etc. since SAT brain is not the same as the regular Steptronic brain or maybe the whole transmission itself is different.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Contributors

...oh no - the goal is just to change shifter. I dont want any other SAT feature, just want the SAT shifter replacing the normal shifter. A pure "looks" issue, nothing more...
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

owwww... I think we kinda stuck w/ the 'ole style stick 'cuz the have that mechanical thingy that we have to press to move the lever while LCI seems to use electronically. I think LCI stick is more like joystick the way it works w/ probably has electronic contacts under it while we have linkage and stuff under it.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Contributors

...oh no (again ) - what i meant was to change the LCI normal shifter with the LCI SAT shifter. They look different, but are both electronically controlled...

ps. i know i have a non-lci model, but currently am exploring options to change to a LCI...
Old 02-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Ahhh now that I didn't know... I thought the stick looks the same on the regular LCI and LCI w/ SAT... sorry...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Contributors

...somebody here must be able to answer this question

all it takes is a look in some kind of a TIS CD to check if both have the same connector. Assuming the electronics is the same, then it should be a simple exchange. Can't check online on realoem since the 07/08 cars are not listed there..
Old 02-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't confirm things with 100% certainty. Clearly, the new gear selector switches are electronic and might be interchangeable between the non-SAT and SAT flavors but BMW considers these new devices "control units in their own right" so it's possible that they need to be coded to the car via programming.

I wish I could offer more information but my version of TIS only gives me the following document (the "more" links are all dead -- not sure if it's because the documents weren't included in my version or if there's a problem with my database...)

SBT__6_speed_automatic_transmission_E53__E60__E61__E63__E64__E65__E66__E70__E81__E83_.pdf
Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Rudy, tnx for your help. I was at the dealer today and since I am in process of considering a new car, I made my SA check whether the exchange is possible. Unfortunately not. The standard LCI shifter is all in one at the bottom with the electronics module. The SAT is different - the shifter can be detached fromt he electronics module thanks to a flexible connector cable (as found in computer connecting harddives). Changing the shifter and module would be silly - would not want to know the hassle in having this programmed..

thanks for your help.

so answer to my question: No, not possible except if you go ahead and change the electronics module...
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='533152' date='Feb 20 2008, 03:41 AM
Rudy, tnx for your help. I was at the dealer today and since I am in process of considering a new car, I made my SA check whether the exchange is possible. Unfortunately not. The standard LCI shifter is all in one at the bottom with the electronics module. The SAT is different - the shifter can be detached fromt he electronics module thanks to a flexible connector cable (as found in computer connecting harddives). Changing the shifter and module would be silly - would not want to know the hassle in having this programmed..

thanks for your help.

so answer to my question: No, not possible except if you go ahead and change the electronics module...
Yes, it IS possible. I have done it to my car. It was an easy swap, took less than 30 minutes.
I don't know what is the electronic module that you are talking about, but from what I saw, they looked the same at the bottom.
After changing to SAT shifter, even the 'sport' button that came with it works!

Quick Reply: Replace normal automatic gear shift with SAT gear shift