E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Removal of the INTAKE Resonator on the I6's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So this is one modification I have not come across on here and that is removing the intake resonator on the air intake path for the 6 cyilnder cars. These I beleive only come on the 5 series models here in the U.S and their sole point is sound reduction. They are this odd looking box as posted below. Problem is I know you do not need it as the 330s and z cars with the same engine do not have them and none of the v8s have them but the problem is I do not know if it plays a roll in the air intake path that goes with it.

For example, just cutting it out and replacing with normal piping or using stock piping with simply cutting out and patching the hole, or whatever design you do, I do not know if the intake or ECU or whatever finicky things bmw needs this resonance chamber considering it really does change the air flow pattern by diverting, storing and then rediverting air via this pathway.

I want to try lop it off and run normal pie instead. I had this on the old AFE and most CAI gets rid of this piece. That is one big reason the 5ers are so much more quiet, which more people like but I do miss more of the intake growl/sound from the 330's.

Has anyone heard this done or have thoughts on why it may not work? It is number 19 below by the way. Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails Removal of the INTAKE Resonator on the I6's?-resonator.png  
Old 09-25-2009, 12:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I think... I think(!!!) that I've brought this up with tuningtech (Bruce) before and was told that the resonator on the N52 engine is designed in such a way that it does not restrict the airflow. Not 100% on that though

EDIT: I was thinking about removing the intake silencer (#11 on the diagram).
Old 09-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

BTW this might come in handy for this diagram:

Removal of the INTAKE Resonator on the I6's?-oem.jpg

Old 09-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Banned

Cool yes good call. I dont even know what that intake silencer piece is or where it is found? I dont recognize it and I had my entire intake off in place of the AFE and re-installed it myself and do not recognize that unless it is somewhere built into the front air passageway or in that vicinity??

I more wanted to do this for the better engine sound as in the 330's but would not do it if it meant losing power. So while it may not hurt airflow, it does dampen sound, which is good for 99 percent of owners but not me! I did a google search of intake resonators in general and many cars have many types but I actually found multiple threads on various acura's, hondas, and you name it, where they actually lost measured power on a dyno after removal. With that said there is no way to know once we do it unless you dyno it but for that small of a gain or loss it may not be consistent enough using a dyno to pick it up.

Probably not worth it for the pain in the butt it would be, not sure, going to take a look at it this iweekend. I may look for the piece you speak of and possibly order a new resonator boot piece and use it to play around with and modify for fun. I think it is 50 bucks or so from the dealer. That way if I screw it up i have a normal one to put back!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned

Hey I wonder if RPI reads this, maybe Eloy can chime in. Clearly I and everyone else values his opinion and I am at a loss on this one. This is one area that is not easy to read or understand the effects this piece would have on flow. Each other car I can find that has one, non-bimmers, have such drastic variation in design of the resonator that it is hard to compare from car to car, especially isnce each intake design and engine are so different.

I do not think there is much power to gain but still curiosu
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 & e34

Old thread revival.

Has anyone removed this from their intake boot, or replaced the boot itself with one not having the resonator ?

Part number 19 in the real OEM pic above ?