E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Remapped my 530dA

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

This remap has not only given the car more power, its seriously improved the power delivery and shifting speed of the automatic.

I had my 2005 530dA remapped today by Wetterauer during my trip back to Germany. I used the "mobile service", where someone from Wetterauer comes to your house and does the remap. They take the data from your car, send it via their laptop to the HQ in Koblenz where it is remapped, the remapped data is then sent back to the laptop and entered into the car. The whole process took about 1,5 hours.

The power changes are as follows:
- from 218ps to 260ps
- from 500nm to 580nm

I have only had the chance to do a very quick test drive, but first impressions are
It simply drives sooooooooo much better than before; the power delivery and gear shifts are dramatically improved. I had real issues with how easy the automatic would shift gear the whole time and the torque converter just seemed to swallow so much power rather than sending quicker to the wheels. This is no longer the case, which was the prime reason for me going for the remap. (What a relief, especially after the story I gave my wife about spending ?750 on the remap!)

I had a quick go on the autobahn and the extra 40ps and 80nm were noticible, but unforetunately too much traffic to really see what it can do now. I'm hoping to give it a propper blast tomorrow But as I wrote above, its just great to have the massive improvement on power delivery, like I was used to with my previous LCI E60. Happy times!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds sweet!
Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Congrats Pete!

You are going to really enjoy this mod.

Report back when you get to really open it up!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 535d E60 Black on Black, Shadow line in and out, sun roof, comfort seats, PDCs, navi, Sport suspension, Hifi

Congrats! Enjoy the best mod available. Now go and update the diesel remap database at http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=71290
Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Thanks guys!
Unforetunately I have done my right foot in... so that means pain when flooring it... but I must test that extra power... my sensible side has absolutely no decision making rights what so ever at the moment

@Fastdsl
I did not even know we had the remapped diesel database, thanks for pointing it out. I have added my details
Old 04-30-2009, 01:40 AM
Senior Members

Great job. I want this too.
Is this better than chiptuning. The cost of chiptuning is lower
Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by irshad' post='863922' date='Apr 30 2009, 11:40 AM
Great job. I want this too.
Is this better than chiptuning. The cost of chiptuning is lower
I am not technically minded enough to really understand which remap tuner is best and is a chip-tuning better than a remap. I did a lot of research and basically decided to pay more for a larger reputable tuner, much the same way I bought my used car from BMW and not an unknown dealer. In my mind the larger / more established tuners have the obvious benefit of having larger test and development centres, along with more customer feedback and experience. They also sell Guarantees, so need to have a certain level of quality assurance to avoid the risk of BMW drivers hitting them with blown-engine guarantee claims.
The cheap chip-tuning boxes simply won't have that level of resource and experience to fall back on, and as such the product MAY be making unknown or riskier (not fully tested) changes to the car's electronics. This is only me speculating and trying to apply logic, so maybe some of these chip-tuning devices are fine. I know there are other members out there who went for cheaper unknown tuners, but in many cases they are tuners/people they know and trust. I don't have those kind of connections so went for the more well known tuner approach.

A lot of it comes down to the level of risk you want to take, which is driven by the level of understanding you have of the risk and how much money you are prepared to pay to minimise that risk. That was my simple approach to all of this.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Contributors

RE: Does the remap also change the automatic's ECU?
(Someone asked me via PM, and it was a question that went through my mind when ordering, so I thought I would post it up here.)

The answer is no, the remap does not also remap the automatic's ECU. It does however change the way the engine interfaces with the automatic because of the different power settings. The guy remapping it could not tell me anymore, however all I can say is that it has made a large improvement in the way the automatic uses the torque, i.e. delivering it quicker to the wheels rather than it getting lost in the torque converter.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

nice one Pete, gonna have to keep an eye on'ya in my rear view mirror now..
Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy545' post='864126' date='Apr 30 2009, 06:05 PM
nice one Pete, gonna have to keep an eye on'ya in my rear view mirror now..

your V8 doesn't stand a chance against my remapped diesel...

...or was that the other way round

Looking forward to seeing you again at the Meet, well at least for those few seconds before you disappear into the distance

Quick Reply: Remapped my 530dA