E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

reconditioning door sills

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it possible to fix the weather damage on these door sills or the only fix is to get ripped off and buy new ones? all 4 are like this.
maybe its possible to change the centre pieces only?
Attached Thumbnails reconditioning door sills-img_1096.jpg   reconditioning door sills-img_1098.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
is it possible to fix the weather damage on these door sills or the only fix is to get ripped off and buy new ones? all 4 are like this.
maybe its possible to change the centre pieces only?

You could sand back the laquer as the marks are oxidation... bit of wet and dry sanding should be enough make sure you finish with a fine wet and dry sanding and prep and then re-lacquer them

its going to be cheaper then getting a new set but means a bit of effort on your part, but least you can build up the lacquered layers abit more to give it extra protection
Old 10-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Senior Members

so sand the lacquer on top away, clean up the sill and laquer them back in the end?
i was wondering if there is a film on top which can just be peeled off but i guess thats the laquer.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Contributors

so sand the lacquer on top away, clean up the sill and laquer them back in the end?
i was wondering if there is a film on top which can just be peeled off but i guess thats the laquer.
Steps should be easy enough...

1) Carefully pry the sills off the car
2) Im not sure if the metal strips can be removed from the plastic (if not mask the plastic)
3) Carefully sand back the lacquer 800 grit should be fine but dont go to mad with it else you will loose the M badge..
4) Wet Sand with 1200 / 1500 grit
5) Clean up the sill make sure its dust and dirt free
6) Lacquer them using thin coats and build up the layers.
7) Allow to fully dry and harden (due to where they are going on the car)
8) Refit and admire your handy work

Im sure someone will jump in if Ive missed anything... good luck take some pics as you go along and post up a DIY thread

Good luck
Old 10-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Senior Members

yeah will do when i get a chance to do it. thanks.
i got other things lined up first such as removing the swirl flaps.
only problem i've noticed on other people's posts is that the clips snap all the time, i'd like to get them off perfectly if its possible. is there a trick to taking them off nicely?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

and jay have you tried doing this before or its just in theory advice?
what would be the best lacquer to use, the clear spray ones? or are there better ones? maybe one you have experience with and works great.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributors

what would be the best lacquer to use, the clear spray ones? or are there better ones? maybe one you have experience with and works great.
Automotive lacquer is not known for its durability. Maybe a clear epoxy would have better longevity especially resistance to abrasion and wear from shoes and such dragging over the sill plate.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

How about putting some Clear Bra on there to save it?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Senior Members

i would kill someone if they even put their feet on the sill. there is absolutely no need to even touch them as you enter the car. not getting into a truck
Old 10-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Contributors

Not on the door sills, but have done so on diamond cut (brushed crome type) alloys on previous cars, so its just from experience regarding what the white corrosion is and an easy fix...

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Automotive lacquer is not known for its durability. Maybe a clear epoxy would have better longevity especially resistance to abrasion and wear from shoes and such dragging over the sill plate.

Agreed, as its an area where its more likely to get scuffed accidentally a clear expoy may be a better way to go

Originally Posted by theracerboss
How about putting some Clear Bra on there to save it?
Another good option that would be an easy and quick way to help prevent / slow the damage from happening so quickly ..

Quick Reply: reconditioning door sills