E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rear bumper reflectors clear??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mikeconners' date='Feb 23 2005, 02:50 AM
Hi everyone, I am posting for a friend who owns a 2005 5 series in south korea. He told me that it comes with the red reflectors in the rear bumper. He wants to replace these with clear colored reflectors, not the body colored inserts that we see here in the USA, but something that's clear reflector like.

I'm assuming aftermarket, any ideas? Is there such a thing? Personally, I don't understand his taste but he's my buddy so I'm supporting him as best as I can. I'm still trying to talk him into just doing the US colored bumper inserts instead.

I drive a E46 M3 and we get some nasty looking amber reflectors so body colored inserts are great for us!?

Thanks for any help!

mike
[snapback]93408[/snapback]

================================================== ===
Hi Mike:

A third party BMW company named: BAVARIAN Autosport in their Spring & Summer 2005 Catalog are adverstising on pg 76: "Uprgrade the rear bumper uinserts on your 5 series on."

They have the Euro Red reflectors for: $23.95 pr

and pre Painted ones for: $69,95 pr :

But I have never seen any "clear ones". but who knows who carries them, but they might look good? For me I will stick with the Red Euro's, now for: 23.95 + S&H

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Presley348
Old 03-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Hi,

Like your friend I prefer the clear refectors. It looks great with titanium silver!! Unfortunally we can?t find it. I bought the spare reflectors and left in tail light shop service to make them clear!! Take a look!!

Rear bumper reflectors clear??-imagem_015.jpg

Rear bumper reflectors clear??-imagem_016.jpg
Old 03-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

take a look ? where to look ?
Old 03-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Mar 6 2005, 10:09 PM
take a look ?? where to look ?
[snapback]98032[/snapback]

Hi alohalc:

Where is he talking about looking at? I wanted to see the clear reflectors too! I think he must have forgot to upload his picture, oh well . . . (LOL)

Presley 348
Old 03-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Sorry about that. The pics are ready now!!

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='Mar 6 2005, 11:15 PM
[quote name='alohalc' date='Mar 6 2005, 10:09 PM']take a look ?? where to look ?
[snapback]98032[/snapback]

Hi alohalc:

Where is he talking about looking at? I wanted to see the clear reflectors too! I think he must have forgot to upload his picture, oh well . . . (LOL)

Presley 348
[snapback]98039[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 03-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Are you kidding me?

I don't know about Brazil but no matter where you are, clear, rear reflectors have to be illegal -- and this time, the law is a valid one! It's one thing to have clear lenses on taillights (not reflective) and another to have something that actually reflects rearward anything but red.

I also have to believe that it's annoying to drivers as well as confusing. If I saw something clear reflecting ahead of me in the distance, I'd think something was approaching me or coming at me in the opposite direction.

Not only are these things silly and ugly, they're hazardous!
Old 03-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Senior Members

i think rudy is correct. i guess they'll look like reverse lights at night for the car behind with the headlights on, right? i think they'll look better in the morning. you have any pics in the day light and the whole back? also, how did they make them clear ?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Mar 7 2005, 01:11 AM
i think rudy is correct.? i guess they'll look like reverse lights at night for the car behind with the headlights on, right?? i think they'll look better in the morning.? you have any pics in the day light and the whole back?? also, how did they make them clear ?
[snapback]98092[/snapback]

Hi Alex.br:

I hate to rain on your parade, and I do love seeing creative ideas for our e60 BMW's, but I think Rudy is right, to be legal the rear bumper inserts must be "red" in the rear, (or maybe painted in a non reflective paint), and this clear reflective lens shows up white, when approached by oncoming vehicle head lights, (very similar looking as backup lights) this could be confusing to other drivers following you, and might cause an MVA.

Presley348
Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Easy folks!!

I don't think that this reflectors could be confused like a headlights!!! The bright cames from the flash. Otherwise, this car isn't for daily and nigth use. Here in Brazil it cost about US$ 150,000.00 and you have to choose where and when drive the car.

About the mod the tailight shop cut the red plastic reflector surface and replaced with a clear one. After that we painted with titanium silver around the reflectors to hide the remained red surface.

In time:

Do you think that this clear taillights are ilegal?

[attachment=6860:attachment]
Attached Thumbnails Rear bumper reflectors clear??-3.jpg  
Old 03-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Alex.br' date='Mar 7 2005, 02:09 PM
In time:

Do you think that this clear taillights are ilegal?
[snapback]98296[/snapback]
No they're not illegal, they are legal because they are not reflectors, they are taillights that have colored bulbs inside them. Do you notice the red reflectors on the bottom of the picture? They're there because you must reflect red in any country. Remove those red reflectors and you're now illegal with those clear taillights.

I never said the clear reflectors would be mistaken for headlights but in most countries, clear (white) reflectors are used on the front of the car. Also, they could be mistaken for reverse lights.

Ever wonder why boats and planes have red lights on the left and green lights on the right?

Bottom line: White lights or reflectors = front, red lights or reflectors = rear.

EDIT: I just found the following information...
Click here to take a look at what Bekkers has to say about the DOT approval on the clear taillights. They say:
"Original BMW European taillights for the all new 5 Series. Simple plug and play installation, no special tools required. No DOT approval at this time. Not for use on US highways. You definately want to ad a set of Euro Reflectors listed below!"

Quick Reply: Rear bumper reflectors clear??