E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

is re-programming needed for M5 Mirror Auto Fold function?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)
Thumbs up

I have fitted my new OEM M5 mirrors -- I will take pics at the weekend and post them!! -- and am absolutely loving them. However, the Auto Fold function is not working.
The mirrors are brand new OEM pre-09/2005, with the following functions: heated mirrors, electrically adjustable mirrors, puddle lights, AUTO FOLD.
My 06/2005 car had all mirror options, also including Auto Dimming, however as I do not have Memory/Comfort Seats they did not have the Auto Dip (when reversing) function.

The plugs/connectors and mirrors-units themselves are "plug n' play". When I press the Auto Fold button in the car the mirror-units do not fold in, but I can no longer adjust the position of the mirror-glass. When I press the Auto Fold button again, the mirror-units still do not move, however I can then adjust the position of the mirror-glass again. This to me implies that the Auto Fold has been activated, which stops the mirror-glass adjustment functioning. All other functions, including Puddle Lights, work correctly.

I spoke to BMW in Copenhagen and have also been through lots of Posts here and pretty much all other English or German E60 forums I could find. My conclusion is that the mirrors and the car need to be paired in the software in order to get the Auto Fold function to work

So my question is effectively, what needs to be reprogrammed to get the Auto Fold function to work on my car??
- BMW stated they need to do a TOTAL new software load and want to charge me 8-10 hours, or 1000 Euro to do this!!!!!!!!!
- I also read in member 530d's "M5 & M6 mirrors for sale" Post, that only the mirror control module in the door needs reprogramming, however it needs someone with a good understanding of the BMW software tool to be able to go into a sub-menu to do this, rather than doing a full new software load.
- Or is this all incorrect and I also need to swap out the mirror-controller-modules in the front doors?

I don't want to pay BMW 1000 Euro for a new SW load to get the function to work and I would then also have to travel to Germany and pay 150 Euros to get my Wetterauer Remap re-done Ahh, the joys of modding when you're not technically/engineering minded

Worst case scenario I just have to live without the Auto Fold function, but as the motors prevent me from folding them in at all, it would just kill me if someone smashed one off on a tight road / parking spot because I could not fold them in.

Please
Thanks in advance, Pete
Old 08-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='984298' date='Aug 21 2009, 09:06 AM
I have fitted my new OEM M5 mirrors -- I will take pics at the weekend and post them!! -- and am absolutely loving them. However, the Auto Fold function is not working.
The mirrors are brand new OEM pre-09/2005, with the following functions: heated mirrors, electrically adjustable mirrors, puddle lights, AUTO FOLD.
My 06/2005 car had all mirror options, also including Auto Dimming, however as I do not have Memory/Comfort Seats they did not have the Auto Dip (when reversing) function.

The plugs/connectors and mirrors-units themselves are "plug n' play". When I press the Auto Fold button in the car the mirror-units do not fold in, but I can no longer adjust the position of the mirror-glass. When I press the Auto Fold button again, the mirror-units still do not move, however I can then adjust the position of the mirror-glass again. This to me implies that the Auto Fold has been activated, which stops the mirror-glass adjustment functioning. All other functions, including Puddle Lights, work correctly.

I spoke to BMW in Copenhagen and have also been through lots of Posts here and pretty much all other English or German E60 forums I could find. My conclusion is that the mirrors and the car need to be paired in the software in order to get the Auto Fold function to work

So my question is effectively, what needs to be reprogrammed to get the Auto Fold function to work on my car??
- BMW stated they need to do a TOTAL new software load and want to charge me 8-10 hours, or 1000 Euro to do this!!!!!!!!!
- I also read in member 530d's "M5 & M6 mirrors for sale" Post, that only the mirror control module in the door needs reprogramming, however it needs someone with a good understanding of the BMW software tool to be able to go into a sub-menu to do this, rather than doing a full new software load.
- Or is this all incorrect and I also need to swap out the mirror-controller-modules in the front doors?

I don't want to pay BMW 1000 Euro for a new SW load to get the function to work and I would then also have to travel to Germany and pay 150 Euros to get my Wetterauer Remap re-done Ahh, the joys of modding when you're not technically/engineering minded

Worst case scenario I just have to live without the Auto Fold function, but as the motors prevent me from folding them in at all, it would just kill me if someone smashed one off on a tight road / parking spot because I could not fold them in.

Please
Thanks in advance, Pete
Hi Pete

Yes you will have to get your car ( door modul's ) re-programed together with the new "hardware" in the new sidemirrows.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='984298' date='Aug 21 2009, 03:06 AM

Please
Thanks in advance, Pete

You didn't see this man??

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=77268&hl=

Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='984373' date='Aug 21 2009, 02:32 PM
I did have a look at it and just reviewed it all again. This is a "non-OEM" way of fitting it. With the exception of the remap and a couple of very minor mods, my car is pretty much OEM and that's how I would like to keep it, especially on the electrics front. I am not technically minded enough to be able to re-wire something like you did, which by the way is very impressive!

Thanks for posting the link -- if all else fails on the OEM front, I now have a "plan B"
Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='984331' date='Aug 21 2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Pete

Yes you will have to get your car ( door modul's ) re-programed together with the new "hardware" in the new sidemirrows.

Thanks for the PM BenAnd. I will contact that guy to see whether he can do the programming for sensible money.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='984531' date='Aug 21 2009, 11:32 AM
I did have a look at it and just reviewed it all again. This is a "non-OEM" way of fitting it. With the exception of the remap and a couple of very minor mods, my car is pretty much OEM and that's how I would like to keep it, especially on the electrics front. I am not technically minded enough to be able to re-wire something like you did, which by the way is very impressive!

Thanks for posting the link -- if all else fails on the OEM front, I now have a "plan B"

Ahh ok. you want to keep it OEM. It might be a pain, but since u are overseas, its definitely easier.

The only downside is that they might charge you a lot or might even say its not doable (even though it probably is.)

Good luck man! Let us know of the update.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='984547' date='Aug 21 2009, 05:49 PM
Ahh ok. you want to keep it OEM. It might be a pain, but since u are overseas, its definitely easier.

The only downside is that they might charge you a lot or might even say its not doable (even though it probably is.)

Good luck man! Let us know of the update.

BMW said it could be done for the bargain price of.... 1000 Euro!!! Basically they claim a total software reload is required, which is not true. Its just the mirrors and modules, as BenAnd confirmed above, and he pointed me in the direction of someone who claims to be able to do this.
I now also have another lead, i.e. someone at a BMW dealership who may be able to help me out.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='984553' date='Aug 21 2009, 11:55 AM
BMW said it could be done for the bargain price of.... 1000 Euro!!! Basically they claim a total software reload is required, which is not true. Its just the mirrors and modules, as BenAnd confirmed above, and he pointed me in the direction of someone who claims to be able to do this.
I now also have another lead, i.e. someone at a BMW dealership who may be able to help me out.
That's great man. I wish US had something like that.