E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Re-installing Stock Exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am in the process of selling my car and I need to put the stock exhaust back onto the car. I called the shop and they said they would take a look at it and see if they can re-install it.
Is it very difficult to re-weld the exhaust on there? It can be done right?

-Marc
Old 06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='897064' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:37 PM
So I am in the process of selling my car and I need to put the stock exhaust back onto the car. I called the shop and they said they would take a look at it and see if they can re-install it.
Is it very difficult to re-weld the exhaust on there? It can be done right?

-Marc

You had the RPI right? Did u use clamps?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way do NOT take it to a shop and get charged a ton of money. I did it myself. I had a supersprint exhaust on my 530 and took it of last month and put the OEM one on. I did not have a catback but rather the rear muffler so if you have the entire catback it may be tough without a lift.

I did it with no lift whatsover. If you have all the OEM parts and hangers then you are good to go. I had to order a coupl epieces that had got lost over the years. YOu do not need to do any welding at all. look on realoem.com for the year of your car and go to rear exhaust. You can find the part number for a clamp clamp that puts back together the two pipes. It works perfectly
Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='897069' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:43 PM
You had the RPI right? Did u use clamps?
Yea it's the RPi. And it's clamped on there. I don't think there will be a problem with the re-install right?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Diamond' post='897070' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:43 PM
No way do NOT take it to a shop and get charged a ton of money. I did it myself. I had a supersprint exhaust on my 530 and took it of last month and put the OEM one on. I did not have a catback but rather the rear muffler so if you have the entire catback it may be tough without a lift.

I did it with no lift whatsover. If you have all the OEM parts and hangers then you are good to go. I had to order a coupl epieces that had got lost over the years. YOu do not need to do any welding at all. look on realoem.com for the year of your car and go to rear exhaust. You can find the part number for a clamp clamp that puts back together the two pipes. It works perfectly
The exhaust was cut very close to the hanger so I don't think a clamp will fit. I think welding is the only option.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='897073' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:46 PM
The exhaust was cut very close to the hanger so I don't think a clamp will fit. I think welding is the only option.
Yep, sounds about right.

The RPI is easy to remove, but the OEM you'll have to weld on. Get quality work done if you goto the shop.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='897075' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:48 PM
Yep, sounds about right.

The RPI is easy to remove, but the OEM you'll have to weld on. Get quality work done if you goto the shop.
Yea, removal of the RPi is gonna be easy. I am just worried about the welding part. Will it be strong enough/not leak?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport package, manual, black on black w/ anthracite trim, pdc, logic 7, cold weather pkg.

Why are you selling the car?
Are you upgrading to a newer version or M5 perhaps?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='897077' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:49 PM
Yea, removal of the RPi is gonna be easy. I am just worried about the welding part. Will it be strong enough/not leak?
As long as the weld is clean. Look at the other thread about DIY custom exhaust. See how clean and sealed the weld was.

dont' goto a cheap shop.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='897084' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:54 PM
As long as the weld is clean. Look at the other thread about DIY custom exhaust. See how clean and sealed the weld was.

dont' goto a cheap shop.
The other day there was a Phantom in the shop where I am planning on getting it re-installed so hopefully they will be able to handle it.

Quick Reply: Re-installing Stock Exhaust.