E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Re-fitting Headlight Unit - Alignment / Seating Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:06 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport
Angry Re-fitting Headlight Unit - Alignment / Seating Issues

Hi folks,

I have recently installed a LED angel eye / halo bulb to my pre-LCI E60 353d. I wont dwell on the bulbs or installation of the bulbs etc as it is working perfectly and has been extensively covered throughout the forums. I have only fitted the one at the moment as I am hesitant to remove the other side until I know how to properly re-install the first side.

In order to install them I removed the headlight unit from the car (by removing the 4 torque bolts), performed the installation of the LED bulbs then "attempted" to re-install the headlight unit back on to the car, but...... i cannot get the headlight unit to align / seat the way it was prior to removing it. It seems to sit lower and angled, and the fact the its not sitting aligned with the wing makes the light unit look squint. I know there is what looks like runners and catches for the light to slide into, and think the light unit may not be seated in these properly, but have absolutely no clue as to how to get these in, without stripping the front bumper from the car. The unit was a bit fiddly coming out, but not too much persuasion was needed to remove them.

I have searched the forum but cannot find anything at all. I have seen the below video, but this is no use as I believe he has different light units (based on the look of the units), and is not detailed enough when replacing them, they seem to fall into place.

Any help, much appreciated.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

It's most likely because the bracket on the bottom is loose. Reach your hand in from the back, and lift up the bracket and then try to slide the headlights in.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

Put the two bottom bolts in loosely, just enough so they don't fall out, but have a big enough gap for the headlight bracket to slide under. They don't need to be taken completely out to remove or refit the headlight. Having the two bolts in will help guide the bottom headlight brackets into place.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:52 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
It's most likely because the bracket on the bottom is loose. Reach your hand in from the back, and lift up the bracket and then try to slide the headlights in.
Yeah, i'll try this! I'm trying to think if I can get my hand down the back of the light unit, but i'll defo give this a go!

Originally Posted by Redtwin
Put the two bottom bolts in loosely, just enough so they don't fall out, but have a big enough gap for the headlight bracket to slide under. They don't need to be taken completely out to remove or refit the headlight. Having the two bolts in will help guide the bottom headlight brackets into place.
Thats what I thought, but cant seem to get to the bulb very well at all, might have to find someone with smaller hands!

I'll give it a bash, and might even take a few pictures if i cant find a solution!

Cheers!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:06 AM
New Members

Right I've tried again and again to install the headlights so they are back to normal.

The lights sit like this when I have put them back in...

Here are the brackets that the light unit slides into.....
Name:  IMG_8308.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  54.4 KB

and heres the rear of the light that has to slide into the above photo:
Name:  IMG_8312.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  59.2 KB

As stated above, I cannot get the light unit to sit correctly in these slots and as a result the light is pointing upwards and sitting out of position. Can anyone help? Is this a bumper off job?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 10-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Do what I had said. It IS because it isn't sliding in properly, so guide it in by putting your hand in from the back and lift the bracket.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:04 PM
New Members

nomis_nehc, there is no way anyone could get their hand down to hold the bracket. The way the bracket is bolted onto the car, pushing it down at the back, raises the front, and when I tried that it slotted in on one side and not the other. I even had the wheel arch out to try and get my hand up into the area to hold the bracket! Still no luck....
Old 10-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Contributors

You're just doing it wrong. The headlights I reinstalled today had to be pushed up from the bracket as well.

Like I said, stick your hand to the back, and then lift up the bracket as you're sliding in the headlight, once it's aligned, you can take your hands out from the back.

Really, you're not the first person that has encountered this problem.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:02 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M sport
Default Headlight re install

Ok guys. I just did both of mine last night. 2010 550i M sport

You need to have a 6 inch T6 to do this. Also a magnet with an extending handle. Available cheap at any auto parts store. Leave the inboard lower bolt as loose as possible, and remove the outboard lower bolt completely. Install the headlight favoring the inboard side making sure the lower bracket slides under the bolt. Position correctly and tighten the upper bolts and the one lower bolt. Now use the magnet to lower the lower outboard bolt into place and give a turn or so to get it started. Now use your 6 inch T6 to tighten the lower bolt. No need for tiny hands,
Old 10-31-2013, 02:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Wee_chris
Is this a bumper off job?

It sure does make it a hell of a lot easier. At this point, if I were in your shoes I'm taking the bumper off. It's really not that difficult.

Good luck with the car, cheers.

Quick Reply: Re-fitting Headlight Unit - Alignment / Seating Issues