E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RDSports quad exhaust with Hamann diffuser installed on my 550i

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering if Hamann quad tip exhaust fit on M5 rear bumper?
Old 12-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 2005 X3 3.0

Originally Posted by Airflow' post='363127' date='Dec 3 2006, 11:56 AM
Hi My friend! My exhaust about 3000EUR with 350EUR shipped to China. not very expensive! If you are looking for a proven package, and not just a simple exhaust, the RDsport's exhaust is better choice!

hello Airflow ,

so you paid 2650+350 shipping to China? I heard its sold in the states more than 6 grand
where did you order it from which company??
Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='362970' date='Dec 3 2006, 02:57 AM
I think there is some misunderstanding going on with regards to the "quad" terminology.

Both RD and Hamann are true quads (meaning 2 exhaust pipes culminating to 2 exhaust tips on each side)
as both direct exhaust to both sides.

However there is a major difference in views and desire (V8 and I6 owners) and also how each manufacturer achieves the end result. Agreed?

Someone who owns a V8 has 2 banks of cylinders who would ideally like to see 1 pipe for each side all the way to the back. 1 muffler for each side. (yes, yes, Hamann has 2 mufflers as well !!) Anyway, this setup already exists for E60 V8's down to the last resonator...so it's only natural to want to continue this "straight flow" setup for someone owning a 545i/550i and wanting a quad. RD setup seems to fit the bill better in this regard and the picture shows this. That's all to it - I understand the comments made with regard to "true quad" from the V8 owners beacause I know what they mean.

Why continue to the back with one pipe - and then piggy back from one side to the other? Well it's easier and cheaper. and most probably also technically correct and viable. ats77 is right, the RD is expensive, but personally if I were to take the decision and effort to go for a quad then it would look like the RD, again due to the V8 setup. If I had an I6 the Hamann would be a no brainer. It's all one pipe from after the headers down to the end muffler. Chuck a Hamann on and voila, your finished. But with a V8 you have a more native solution from the resonators. It's technically and optically more elegant with a RD type setup.
I hope this clears it up so we can go on enjoying this thread.

Great thing about this forum is contribution. We have had now pics and audio from members offering different alternatives. Let's respect that on both sides.
Guys guys, did some of you even read what andy said?! I for one fully agree with him and i am glad his comment really brought light in the case. But apparently some either didn't read it or didn't understand or, although i doubt it, they are bad intentioned. Please DO read it. It's perfectly said.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='363177' date='Dec 3 2006, 11:25 PM
Rizbel - that is like saying a Honda Civic and an M5 are the same because they are both cars! That config is faking a the reason why one would normally have a quad exhaust - to improve movement of exhaust outflow. It has tuned mufflers to make it sound funky, but thats it. It wont allow it to perform any better because its still really just a single exhaust posing otherwise...

think of it like an modded out 525 with M5 badges.... for looks - this is a GREAT mod, but I dont think this will make a car go perform better - consider it more like the m-tech mod. looks great though!!
Please see the above comment dear Matt. How do you know if the Hamann quad exhaust or any other similar style exhuast will not perform better? Did you study in person the movement of the gases? Do you know the backpressure value of the stock final resonator and for the hamman ones?
I'm not saying it does. I don't ahve proof for it, but neither i'm saying it doesn't or that it cuts power. Ok?

Sorry but this is the kind of "BS" ats initially talked about. Don't take the term that negative or insulting, but when one starts to say smth like that it's acceptable but when others fallow the same thing then we've got a problem and that's disinformation. No sweat though we are a big happy family and a good d-bate even if it's hot never did wrong as long as it doesn't get too personal or way out of track.

Cheers my friend!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Members

my530i, the Hamann exhaust needs minor mod. to fit the M5 bumper. Same with RD.

I'm just plain happy that I didn't pay $$$ for my quad setup. Everyday, I can't wait to get in the car and start it up and drive it. I'm beginning to enjoy driving my Bimmer more than my Porsche. The sound is intoxicating. I got so many curious on lookers asked about my rear... and gave me thump up when they heard the V8 rumble.

Two M5 owners have parked near my car, smiles @ me & shook their heads. I love it!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Members

My Ride: M6

Originally Posted by quad_m' post='363204' date='Dec 4 2006, 04:54 AM
hello Airflow ,

so you paid 2650+350 shipping to China? I heard its sold in the states more than 6 grand
where did you order it from which company??
complete exhaust with Sport headers and Sport Catalytic is cost more than 10K EUR.

I just bought X-flow and L+R muffler for my car. I order it from RD China agent.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

Cheers to you too sir...although, its quite passive agressive to tear my comments apart and then ask for a group hug. Perhaps instead of calling it BS, first PROVE me wrong and then feel free to wipe the results all over my original statement.

Air flow with a 2" diameter pipe, vs air flow with effectively a 4" diameter pipe (2x 2") will have MUCH less backflow and therefore will offer less inhibited release of exhaust gases. Since we are speaking about a 550 that has 2 banks of 4 Cyl, I stand by my claim...Hamman is one sexy product; however, unless they have something inside of that muffler that defies the laws of physics, I dont think the piggyback pipe method can keep up with a true duel exhaust configuration. I consede that its looks and sound may be equal to or greater than though (I touted its beautiful design in my original comments though...)

I do appreciate that this is one big happy family though...thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='363212' date='Dec 3 2006, 01:14 PM
Please see the above comment dear Matt. How do you know if the Hamann quad exhaust or any other similar style exhuast will not perform better? Did you study in person the movement of the gases? Do you know the backpressure value of the stock final resonator and for the hamman ones?
I'm not saying it does. I don't ahve proof for it, but neither i'm saying it doesn't or that it cuts power. Ok?

Sorry but this is the kind of "BS" ats initially talked about. Don't take the term that negative or insulting, but when one starts to say smth like that it's acceptable but when others fallow the same thing then we've got a problem and that's disinformation. No sweat though we are a big happy family and a good d-bate even if it's hot never did wrong as long as it doesn't get too personal or way out of track.

Cheers my friend!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Airflow' post='363322' date='Dec 3 2006, 07:53 PM
complete exhaust with Sport headers and Sport Catalytic is cost more than 10K EUR.

I just bought X-flow and L+R muffler for my car. I order it from RD China agent.
Yeah, if you buy the complete set from the headers, cats, x-pipe and quad exhaust conversion, it's about $10K in the US but if it's just the quad exhaust, it's about $2700 so the price is not that far off from a Hamann quad. The $10K price being thrown around on this and other thread is misleading.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='363330' date='Dec 3 2006, 08:20 PM
Yeah, if you buy the complete set from the headers, cats, x-pipe and quad exhaust conversion, it's about $10K in the US but if it's just the quad exhaust, it's about $2700 so the price is not that far off from a Hamann quad. The $10K price being thrown around on this and other thread is misleading.
will the quad exhaust work on a 550 without header mods etc?
Old 12-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Yes.

BTW, this is the price quote I got from a Southern California tuner last year:

RDSport Competition Header set $3855

RDSport Metal Matrix Sport CATS $3550

RDSport X-Flow Downpipe $880

RDSport Rear Silencer (Quad Pipe Conversion) $2660

Quick Reply: RDSports quad exhaust with Hamann diffuser installed on my 550i