E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rare setup on Xi - Bilstein B8 + H&R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMUUM3
I feel everyone?s PAIN!!!!! I also installed H&R Springs on my 2008 528xi with factory shocks. Every dip in the road or manhole cover I find myself rising off of the seat, it sounds like the front end is going to fall out. On one of the threads someone said the KONI yellows work better with the H&R's, does anyone know if this is true If so does anyone have the part # for the KONI yellow for the XI????? Thanks
Koni does not make a 5 series XI front strut. The rears are the same as the I.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528xi Stock for the moment!!

Originally Posted by 325/528
Koni does not make a 5 series XI front strut. The rears are the same as the I.
325/528, thanks for the info, so I guess I will have to go with the bilsteins struts? Would you happen to know which ones work with the XI???
Old 09-17-2011, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

I tried the B6 with H&R and it was horrible. V the russian has B8 with H&R and it sounds like it is no better. I have the B6 with stock springs and it is great but it still sits high.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

I read enough negative reviews of the H&R/Bilstein combo to self justify my insane investment in KW V3's. But there absolutely NO regrets. These things are amazing!
Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TMack
I read enough negative reviews of the H&R/Bilstein combo to self justify my insane investment in KW V3's. But there absolutely NO regrets. These things are amazing!

Will the KW V3's work on an XI?????
Old 09-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMUUM3
Will the KW V3's work on an XI?????
They make KW V3 for the XI. Look on the KW website. They are over $2000 though and then the install on top of that. Some say they get front end noises with the KW V3 and there are stories of blown struts. I don't know. I have never had them and probably never will. I don't want to pay that much just to have my car sit an inch or so lower, but it would handle better. I was doing it for looks mainly as I never push my car. You may take yours to the track, etc, but I never will.

Dinan may be working on something for the 5 series XI but they are very vague. The 3 series used stock struts with dinan springs and koni yellow shocks with dinan springs. Koni did come out with front struts for the 3 series.

I would love to get an eibach spring with the bilstein shocks, but eibach doesn't make xi springs for the 5 series.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 325/528
They make KW V3 for the XI. Look on the KW website. They are over $2000 though and then the install on top of that. Some say they get front end noises with the KW V3 and there are stories of blown struts. I don't know. I have never had them and probably never will. I don't want to pay that much just to have my car sit an inch or so lower, but it would handle better. I was doing it for looks mainly as I never push my car. You may take yours to the track, etc, but I never will.

Dinan may be working on something for the 5 series XI but they are very vague. The 3 series used stock struts with dinan springs and koni yellow shocks with dinan springs. Koni did come out with front struts for the 3 series.

I would love to get an eibach spring with the bilstein shocks, but eibach doesn't make xi springs for the 5 series.

I really don't know how much more I can ride around like this.......The streets of NY are NOT forgiving and I don't want to destroy my front end. I can?t believe the aftermarket world is treating the XI like an unwanted step child!!!!! :thumbsdown:
Old 09-18-2011, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

It is all about potential volume of sales. The E60XI is pretty low volume compared to the "I". There is more available for the 3 series xi, I would suspect based on numbers of cars and numbers of potential sales. I would do the same if I were in business.

That's why the KW V3 for the xi is so expensive. Low sales with the same R&D cost. Nothin' personal, just business...
Old 09-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Hey Vladdy, you think maybe the OEM bumpstops are too long? Maybe if they were cut down a little the car wouldn't bottom out as easily?
The bilstein front struts are supposed to have built in bump stops and not require the factory ones or cut down factory ones. When I had the B6 with the H&R springs, I forgot and put in some M3 bumpstops that are shorter and it did seem to help but it was still rough. I gave up and sold the H&R springs and put the factory springs in with the B6's and it rides and handles great. It just looks like a 4 X 4.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

In retrospect, I guess I do wish I had gone the KW route, but overall, I can't complain - the H&R/Bilstein B8 combo that I ride on is still awesome! It's just not for the potholes, so you really have to be careful on bad roads. I'm really happy with the way BBS wheels handle the beating too - it's true what people say about "BBS or forged" Coilovers would have been my choice, had I had a 535Xi, because that car I'd simply never want to get rid of. Since mine's a 530, I know deep down, eventually I'll be moving on, so I went with the cheaper and more simple option.

Quick Reply: Rare setup on Xi - Bilstein B8 + H&R Springs