E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

R1 Concepts rotors rusting - only 2 months old

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Get the replacements?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Yup! It does look different in color from the first ones I got! Thanks!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

My R1 premiums are rusting fast, after raining just sitting in my driveway they turn super rusty, my oem never did this. All the slots and holes are also rusting and applying the brakes does not take it off. Only my rears came with the black coating, does this mean the others are elines? The fronts are rusting worse then the back.

Not impressed regardless, think I'm going back to OEM, it's embarrassing.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I have the R1 Elines slotted. Dull gray zinc coated. Installed as is. No rust in the unswept area. All rotors rust in the area swept by the brake pads.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor

I'll touch base with R1Concept tomorrow and see about the rusting issue.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Old 09-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Wow! I almost forgot about this thread. Anyway, it could be a fluke in not lining the rotors properly. My replacement rotors are holding up great after almost a year.

R1 Concepts rotors rusting - only 2 months old-r1.jpg
Old 09-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor

Hey,

I just spoke with R1 and we're going to send you a new pair of front premium d/s rotors and completely black them out just like the rears.

Hope that's okay with you.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
My R1 premiums are rusting fast, after raining just sitting in my driveway they turn super rusty, my oem never did this. All the slots and holes are also rusting and applying the brakes does not take it off. Only my rears came with the black coating, does this mean the others are elines? The fronts are rusting worse then the back.

Not impressed regardless, think I'm going back to OEM, it's embarrassing.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by balbs
I bought front and rear R1 concept rotors about 2 months ago. While the front rotors are okay, the rears are starting to rust around the center and in the recesses of the drilled holes and slots. Is this normal?? The fronts are still all silver but the only thing silver on the rear rotors are the pad contact areas.
I'm having the same problem with my R1 Premium rotors but on my car, it's the front rotors that are rusting.
They are maybe 6 weeks old and I think I've washed them twice since they were installed.
The rears had a dark coating on them when I got them but the fronts had no coating.
Doesn't look appealing at all.
Not a happy camper.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor

Hi Len,

I just responded to the email you sent me. R1 will be sending you out a new set with the fronts completed blacked out like the rears. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have brought this rusting issue up with R1 and from now on, all premium sets will be coated completely with black high temperature coating to prevent rusting.

When the brake pads make contact with the rotors it will remove the high temp paint on the surface but remain in the slots and holes to prevent future rusting.

I know R1 hasn't been perfect -- no one is -- but it's the fact they are willing to stand by their products and make changes like these that I keep supporting them. I don't know many companies that are willing to do that these days.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Old 09-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
Wow! I almost forgot about this thread. Anyway, it could be a fluke in not lining the rotors properly. My replacement rotors are holding up great after almost a year.

Attachment 125937

Says the guy in Cali...with no salt or winter or terrible rust anywhere to be seen....

I got my R1 concepts from Trinity. My front rotors aren't just rusty, but they're are fucking warped. I have vibration at high speed with them and stopping power isn't really as good as it was with OEM. I've only had them a year.

Quick Reply: R1 Concepts rotors rusting - only 2 months old