E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

R1 Concepts Questions - For Those That Have These Brakes Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i w/ Sports Package

Hello E60 Enthusiasts!

I have a 2007 BMW 530i w/ Sports Package. I wanted to ask those of you with R1 Rotors a few questions regarding your experience with these brakes. I am looking into purchasing the Premium Cross Drilled - Slotted set for my E60, but would like some feedback first. If you've purchased rotors from R1 and have them installed, your answers to the following questions would be greatly appreciated! And I'm sure other members looking to upgrade their brakes will find this useful as well.

1. How long & how many miles have you had them on your E60?
2. Based on your answer to question 1, how has the wear and reliability been so far on both the rotors and pads? Have these brakes maintained the same level of performance over time?
3. How do you drive? Aggressively or Normal? Do you take your E60 to the track or just typical city driving?
4. Again, this next question depends on the answer to question 1; have these rotors warped on you or have you had to have them refinished? Have you experience any vibration as a result?
5. Overall did you get what you paid for? Or did they go above/below expectations?

I thank you for the time taken to read and respond to these questions. From one E60 owner to the next, your input would greatly help in making a decision between going with R1 or just getting OEMs. My E60 is out of warranty and thus I am exploring alternatives to stock.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

1. 10,000+ miles before I sold the car.
2. Like all rotors you have to break them in. At first the car wasn't stopping as easily as I liked but it did over time.
3. Normal but I did brake hard quite often to test the pads/rotors.
4. No haven't warped. No vibration.
5. I sell them but for their price point you just can't beat the quality.

I know I'm a dealer for them but if you look at the products I carry, I only carry those that I believe in and have used on my own personal (mine,family, friends, co-workers) cars.

Hope this helped.

Michael
Acute Performance

AIM: acuteperformance
Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by donjon' post='1089944' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:29 PM
Hello E60 Enthusiasts!

I have a 2007 BMW 530i w/ Sports Package. I wanted to ask those of you with R1 Rotors a few questions regarding your experience with these brakes. I am looking into purchasing the Premium Cross Drilled - Slotted set for my E60, but would like some feedback first. If you've purchased rotors from R1 and have them installed, your answers to the following questions would be greatly appreciated! And I'm sure other members looking to upgrade their brakes will find this useful as well.

2. Based on your answer to question 1, how has the wear and reliability been so far on both the rotors and pads? Have these brakes maintained the same level of performance over time?
3. How do you drive? Aggressively or Normal? Do you take your E60 to the track or just typical city driving?
4. Again, this next question depends on the answer to question 1; have these rotors warped on you or have you had to have them refinished? Have you experience any vibration as a result?
5. Overall did you get what you paid for? Or did they go above/below expectations?

I thank you for the time taken to read and respond to these questions. From one E60 owner to the next, your input would greatly help in making a decision between going with R1 or just getting OEMs. My E60 is out of warranty and thus I am exploring alternatives to stock.
1. 9 months with approx. 9k miles
2. the wear pattern on rotors looks very even and consistent on all four rotors with oem pads; no noticeable ridges of concentric circular patterns, just a clean and smooth appearance. i initially had axxis ultimate pads, which were too harsh and abrasive. i had constant squealing and I wouldn't recommend them. i thought i had jeopordized the rotors performance and durabily because of this but so far with the oem pads, I couldn't be happier.
3. I drive rather normally (no track) but have at numerous times pushed her up and down some mountain curves. when i had the axxis pads i tried the bedding process countless times to rid of the squeal to no avail. so these rotors basically went through hell and back. if you know the bedding process, your breaks get extremely hot.
4. rotors are perfectly fine still. no vibrations none whatsoever.
5. as far as I'm concerned, these rotors definitely exceeded my expectations so it was worth it!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by donjon' post='1089944' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:29 PM
Hello E60 Enthusiasts!

I personally have the slotted premium rotors. most of the ones we've sold though have been the drilled and slotted premiums. we've had nothing but good feedback about these rotors

1. since July of 09, approx. 5k-6k miles
2. cant complain and still performs like day 1 after we bedded and bled the brakes. performance wise is a bit better than OEM in my opinion, I went with the posi-quiet pads but mainly for the less brake dust.
3. normal most of the time but will push it once in a while. havent been on the track. my boss though when he had his 545 has gone to the track had the premium rotors and same pads (he was mad because his BBK didnt come in time though) but never complained about the brakes
4. no warping and no vibrations
5. yessir very much worth it
Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

trinity....how much do you charge for the rotors and pads shipped to 63021? also please provide more info on the posi-quite pads....good read OP.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I've used R1 slotted/ cross drilled rotors for about 5 years now.....not on my e60, but on my Nissan. No problems with cracking, warping etc. The stopping distance decreased greatly with them. They are great for daily driving. Not sure how they would hold up to continuous track use though.,......
I'm thinking about getting a set for my e60.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by E60 545i SPORT' post='1090886' date='Jan 14 2010, 03:57 PM
trinity....how much do you charge for the rotors and pads shipped to 63021? also please provide more info on the posi-quite pads....good read OP.
here's some info on the pads

"Posi-Quiet pads are the only full-line of aftermarket pads that are scorched. This OEM process enahnces key friction perofmance levels, removes any impurities in the friction compound, and prepares the brake pads for immediate use. Scorching raises initial cold effectiveness, stabilizes friciton levels right out of the box, provides consistent performance across entire operating range."

features include: low dust, long wearing, low brake rotor wear, stable friction performance across wide temperature range, particularly higher temperatures, pad shims are either staked-on, drift-lock or application specific shims custom fit for a secure 'no slip' attachment.