E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Quick Remap Question - E60 525d

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heya peeps,

Been reading other threads on remapping and it is something I am considering.

However, I am struggling a little to find out if people really do see an increase in MPG? This is my main reason to look at it. Extra power is nice but I do quite a bit of town driving and whilst I dont see much better than early to mid 20's stopping and starting, I am keen to know if this changes at all?

Basically, I wouldn't be too fussed even if it stayed the same, but if I were to lose any MPG, then it would be a waste for me

I also have a long drive every other weekend to pick up my little lad and to conserve fuel a little here, I don't tend to belt along and prefer a steady pace. Would I see an increase in MPG here? Or maybe a slight decrease?

Really struggling for the right answers here so hoping anyone can help.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 05-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Don't get it for the sole purpose of MPG. It will stay about the same as long as you drive the same.

Originally Posted by Rince' post='882110' date='May 18 2009, 12:02 PM
Heya peeps,

However, I am struggling a little to find out if people really do see an increase in MPG? This is my main reason to look at it. Extra power is nice but I do quite a bit of town driving and whilst I dont see much better than early to mid 20's stopping and starting, I am keen to know if this changes at all?

Basically, I wouldn't be too fussed even if it stayed the same, but if I were to lose any MPG, then it would be a waste for me

I also have a long drive every other weekend to pick up my little lad and to conserve fuel a little here, I don't tend to belt along and prefer a steady pace. Would I see an increase in MPG here? Or maybe a sloth decrease?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='882116' date='May 18 2009, 08:06 PM
Don't get it for the sole purpose of MPG. It will stay about the same as long as you drive the same.
Well, I also heard on an auto it improves the general driving experience and was also thinking about this - but not a performance thing for me really - I don't get too many chances to open her up in the traffic I tend to sit in
Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d SE, 5door, Auto, Grey, Black Leather,etc

I agree it would improve the driving experience, but surely we all have done science at school?
Faster acceleration burns more fuel, so if you drive 100 miles and don't accelerate again it would make no difference to fuel consumption.
Or have I missed something?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Former Vendor

Well if you install crappy software, the fuel mappings could be changed so it's burning more fuel even when you're not accelerating.

Originally Posted by Banstead' post='882311' date='May 18 2009, 02:49 PM
I agree it would improve the driving experience, but surely we all have done science at school?
Faster acceleration burns more fuel, so if you drive 100 miles and don't accelerate again it would make no difference to fuel consumption.
Or have I missed something?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d SE, 5door, Auto, Grey, Black Leather,etc

It's good to be provocative to incite debate.
I am also thinking of remapping, and accept that extra performance would generate more power and hence fuel consumption.
But is it real that fuel consumption could be reduced?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor

don't quote me as i could totally be wrong...

my guess is companies can claim fuel reduction because they are leaning out air/fuel to gain more power. obviously more tweaking is involved but i'm sure that's one of the reasons why MPG is increased.

Originally Posted by Banstead' post='882334' date='May 18 2009, 03:02 PM
It's good to be provocative to incite debate.
I am also thinking of remapping, and accept that extra performance would generate more power and hence fuel consumption.
But is it real that fuel consumption could be reduced?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rince' post='882110' date='May 18 2009, 08:02 PM
Heya peeps,

I also have a long drive every other weekend to pick up my little lad and to conserve fuel a little here, I don't tend to belt along and prefer a steady pace. Would I see an increase in MPG here? Or maybe a slight decrease?

Thanks,

Andy
If you are getting the remap with the primary reason to save money on fuel then you may want to do some calculations of how much you will save. I think the MPG saving will take a long long time to recoup the cost of the remap. E-maps and DMS have both quoted me around 10% increase in fuel economy. Just my 2p worth.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='882351' date='May 18 2009, 11:12 PM
If you are getting the remap with the primary reason to save money on fuel then you may want to do some calculations of how much you will save. I think the MPG saving will take a long long time to recoup the cost of the remap. E-maps and DMS have both quoted me around 10% increase in fuel economy. Just my 2p worth.
That is a very good point - say ?300 on a remap... at say 2mpg, that is a lot of milage before I notice a difference. However, I also have to think that if there is more power there, then when I put my foot down, I will be burning more fuel and therefore will be more cost in that respect.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a total tightwad, but I don't like spending money without looking at what other costs I will incur
Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rince' post='882936' date='May 19 2009, 12:51 PM
That is a very good point - say ?300 on a remap... at say 2mpg, that is a lot of milage before I notice a difference. However, I also have to think that if there is more power there, then when I put my foot down, I will be burning more fuel and therefore will be more cost in that respect.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a total tightwad, but I don't like spending money without looking at what other costs I will incur
I have never had any remap on any of my cars and I've never owned a BMW (although this will change soon I hope) so I cannot speak from experience. My feeling is that getting a remap will overall cost you more because you will be tapping into the extra power a lot more which will use more fuel. The better MPG is achieved when cruising on the motorway so it will be great for those long weekend drives if you do any. Having said that, the extra power from a remap may put a big smile on your face which might be worth ?300

Quick Reply: Quick Remap Question - E60 525d