E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Questions about 530xi

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi Jet Black exterior, Black leather interior. Sirius Radio. Comfort Access. Winter Package. Automatic.

First I just like to say that I purchased my '06 530xi earlier this year. I previously was a GM truck owner and after I traded my last truck in, I never realized what I was missing.

I am intestested in accessorizing a bit, but don't know what the best route is. I want a wheel upgrade but I read that some wheels don't fit the All-Wheel Drive models. I wanted something in the 18-19in size but made by BMW. I like the M6 wheels but wanted to ask someone, would they fit? My car doesn't have park assist, can
I add this feature, is the car pre-wired for this feature, what would it cost for the dealer to install?

Thanks guys, I hope someone can read this and take the time to answer some of my questions, I understand its a lot, but finally I found a place where I can ask questions and not get some bogus answer from a dealer that only wants my money....Again this forum is great, I hope you guys don't think I'm crazy and asking too many questions at one time, but there are so many things about this car that I want to know about.

Benas06xi
Old 09-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Benas,

I too own a 06 530xi and looking to replace my stock rims/tires. I started a 530xi rims and tires subject and rec. some excellent feedback. Take a look. M5 166's are my personal fav but are 19" - tought decision, let me know your thoughts after you do a bit of research.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Jet Black exterior, Black leather interior. Sirius Radio. Comfort Access. Winter Package. Automatic.

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='336813' date='Sep 20 2006, 07:05 PM
Benas,

I too own a 06 530xi and looking to replace my stock rims/tires. I started a 530xi rims and tires subject and rec. some excellent feedback. Take a look. M5 166's are my personal fav but are 19" - tought decision, let me know your thoughts after you do a bit of research.

I found the wheels on ebay, the 166's. They were replicas but I know exactly what you mean. They look good. The thing is, I just bought this car after I traded in a Denali with 24s. It was nice but drove like crap. I only worry that if I get wheels that are too big they make the ride stiff and unpleasant....you know what I mean. I do like all the M5 wheels but i don't know if thats gonna change the drive at all, what do you think?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Hey guys: Watch the offset ? an ?x? car take a different offset than an M5
Old 09-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by Hopco' post='336880' date='Sep 20 2006, 11:50 PM
Hey guys: Watch the offset ? an ?x? car take a different offset than an M5
You need to watch both the offset and the centre core size! Factory offset is 43mm front & back so make sure you don't end up rubbing the edges of the wheel wells or the suspension struts. Centre bore size is 74.1mm so you might have to precision bore the wheels to that size.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Benas06xi' post='336865' date='Sep 20 2006, 10:52 PM
I found the wheels on ebay, the 166's. They were replicas but I know exactly what you mean. They look good. The thing is, I just bought this car after I traded in a Denali with 24s. It was nice but drove like crap. I only worry that if I get wheels that are too big they make the ride stiff and unpleasant....you know what I mean. I do like all the M5 wheels but i don't know if thats gonna change the drive at all, what do you think?
Benas,

As you can see by the replies, everytime I think I've got it all figured out, I read something else and end up researching even more. I found a pix of another great looking rim and they're 18", I think I feel better about the 18's rather than 19's only because of the roads here in North Jersey. Let me find the picture that I saw on this board and I will post it for you to take a look at.

I take it that winter weather is an issue for you? Didn't look at your profile..
Old 09-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='337832' date='Sep 23 2006, 04:08 PM
Benas,

As you can see by the replies, everytime I think I've got it all figured out, I read something else and end up researching even more. I found a pix of another great looking rim and they're 18", I think I feel better about the 18's rather than 19's only because of the roads here in North Jersey. Let me find the picture that I saw on this board and I will post it for you to take a look at.

I take it that winter weather is an issue for you? Didn't look at your profile..
Shoot, I see we're neighbors, let me find those pix
Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='337833' date='Sep 23 2006, 04:10 PM
Shoot, I see we're neighbors, let me find those pix
Thanks, It doesn't do any good looking at the wheels when they aren't on the car. I picked up an accessory catalog from my dealer to see available factory rims, about 10 to choose, and mostly 17 but a couple 18s. A lot of similar 5 stars and old model like spokes. Others are okay, but I think Im gonna order one. I can't have the same rim as everyone else its gotta stand out a little from the rest, u know.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Benas06xi' post='337839' date='Sep 23 2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks, It doesn't do any good looking at the wheels when they aren't on the car. I picked up an accessory catalog from my dealer to see available factory rims, about 10 to choose, and mostly 17 but a couple 18s. A lot of similar 5 stars and old model like spokes. Others are okay, but I think Im gonna order one. I can't have the same rim as everyone else its gotta stand out a little from the rest, u know.
Check out these rims, 172's They definitely stand out
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=31465
Old 09-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Benas06xi' post='336772' date='Sep 20 2006, 04:56 PM
First I just like to say that I purchased my '06 530xi earlier this year. I previously was a GM truck owner and after I traded my last truck in, I never realized what I was missing.

I am intestested in accessorizing a bit, but don't know what the best route is. I want a wheel upgrade but I read that some wheels don't fit the All-Wheel Drive models. I wanted something in the 18-19in size but made by BMW. I like the M6 wheels but wanted to ask someone, would they fit? My car doesn't have park assist, can
I add this feature, is the car pre-wired for this feature, what would it cost for the dealer to install?

Thanks guys, I hope someone can read this and take the time to answer some of my questions, I understand its a lot, but finally I found a place where I can ask questions and not get some bogus answer from a dealer that only wants my money....Again this forum is great, I hope you guys don't think I'm crazy and asking too many questions at one time, but there are so many things about this car that I want to know about.

Benas06xi
I'll make this simple since I've done a TON of research on this. You CAN'T get E60 OEM 19" wheels for the 'xi" model. They do not make them. You need an offset of ET43. The only wheels you can get that are OEM are 18's. The two wheels that BMW makes with an offset of ET43 are Style 123 (mine...see my gallery), or the 124's (wheels on the 550 sport). Again though, do not buy the standard 123's or 124's for a 530i or your offset will be wrong and your wheels will stick out well beyond the wells.

If you do want BMW OEM 19" wheels, search on the 3 (E46 or E90) series wheels. These wheels have high offsets (ET37) and will work. Personally though, I don't like how any of the 3 series wheels look on the E60 (maybe the M3 CSL wheels, but that's about it).

If you want aftermarket 19's, go with something that is 19x8.5 and has an offset of ET35 or higher. I would do this size at all 4 corners (non-staggered).

As for replica's, stay away. I considered the Miro 166 replica's, but decided it wasn't worth it.

If you want to look up more info, check out some of my other posts about wheels for the "xi".

Quick Reply: Questions about 530xi