E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

question on e60 m aero kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

I think it's a great bargain for a great looking aero kit.
For the same price that gets you these 4 pieces, some aftermarket manufacturers will only give you a front spoiler.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Bambi' date='Oct 10 2005, 03:11 PM
Do I need to cut the bumper to install the kit? Or is it just add on? Or does the kit include the whole bumper? I wonder if I can have the kit removed and put the original kit back on when I want to sell my car in the future. Then I can sell the kit seperately.?
[snapback]182336[/snapback]

The kit is a whole new bumper front and back and yes you can remove them later and put the original ones back on and then sell it...

The side skirts are also brand new replacements theres no tacky add ons or stick ons with the BMW Kit. All new pieces
Old 10-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 10 2005, 10:35 PM
[quote name='Bambi' date='Oct 10 2005, 03:11 PM']Do I need to cut the bumper to install the kit? Or is it just add on? Or does the kit include the whole bumper? I wonder if I can have the kit removed and put the original kit back on when I want to sell my car in the future. Then I can sell the kit seperately.?

The kit is a whole new bumper front and back and yes you can remove them later and put the original ones back on and then sell it...

The side skirts are also brand new replacements theres no tacky add ons or stick ons with the BMW Kit. All new pieces
[snapback]182532[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is another plus for this kit.
You're able to put the car back to it's original appearance and sell.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:09 AM
Looking at the pics, I agree that the M-kit is very nice indeed. But in my opinion, like all bodykits, I think once a kit has been pput on, one would need to change the rims too, don't u think the 18" rims look even smaller and out of place with those kits?
[snapback]182077[/snapback]
I definetly agree that bigger wheels would be better, but I would say that even with the stock car without a body kit. I honestly have to say that one of the first things that I noticed after putting the kit on was that it made the type 124 wheels look even better........they looked more in character with the body kit than on the stock car. Having said that I almost purchased the 19" type 166 wheels a few months ago, but other expenses came up at home so I will be keeping these for a while.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tiptronic' date='Oct 10 2005, 02:59 AM
thanks all..

rodybmw, those are some great pics!! it also sounds like you installed the kit yourself, is that the case? if so, was it difficult / what tools did you need / how long was the process / did you have any previous experience / did the dealer pre-paint it for you (& how much was that?)? i know.. too many questions!?

as for the rims... i have 18" Style 71 Rims (which were from the dealer as well), i have a 530i with the sport pkg/suspension. I hope there wont be a increase in wheel gap w/ the new kit?

thanks again, this does look like the kit for me.?
[snapback]182093[/snapback]

-I had the kit painted at a body shop (not dealer). I had quotes anywhere between $500 to $1200 for the paint job. I ended up paying $800 at the body shop that I chose.

-I did install the kit myself with the help of the BMW Installation Instructions here--->>>>>Click Here<<<<< One thing to know is that these instructions do refer you to other TIS documents that you need to get from your dealer or someone on the forum who has access to a relatively new version of the TIS CD or online TIS. For example, you will see on page 6 of the main instructions that it lists a bunch of tasks with their corresponding TIS number (e.g. Removal of Front Bumper Trim ......TIS no. 51 11 156). You would need to get TIS number 51 11 156 in order to know how to remove the front bumper trim/cover as these instructions are not included with the main document in the above link.

-If I remember correctly I did not need any special tools, just the generic tools that most people have in their garage.

-If someone has had no prior experience at all on doing similar work on cars then I would not recommend that they do the M-Kit install themselves. However, if you have even some basic experience you should be fine.

-BMW says that it should take their techs 4.5 hours to do the installation. It took me much longer. However, now that I know how it works I could easily do it in the 4.5 hours, maybe even less.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bambi' date='Oct 10 2005, 03:11 PM
Do I need to cut the bumper to install the kit? Or is it just add on? Or does the kit include the whole bumper? I wonder if I can have the kit removed and put the original kit back on when I want to sell my car in the future. Then I can sell the kit seperately.?
As others have already said the front and read spoilers basically are entire bumpers that replace your original bumpers. You can see pictures of the M bumpers in the boxes they came in here----->>>>>Click Here<<<<<

You can put the original parts back on if you keep ALL the parts that you take out when you do the M-Kit install, but you should be aware of one thing: the plastic liners inside the wheel arches (wheel housings) need to be cut a little in order for the M kit to be installed (you can see this on page 8 of the installation instructions pdf file that I posted a few posts up). If you end up putting the original bumpers back on you would need to buy a new set of wheel arch liners so that there is no gap or hole there.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by doctorj' date='Oct 10 2005, 12:02 PM
Is the ground clearance on the front identical to the standard front? I love the
kit, I'd hate to buy it and have problems with it rubbing curbs (I don't have
this issue with the standard front today).
[snapback]182269[/snapback]

The front bumper lip is lower than the original (maybe up to 1", but that's just a guess). It definately does rub on many of the concrete block stops that are in front of parking spaces in US parking lots. Also, if there is a somewhat steep driveway ramp the bottom of the bumper can rub. There are a lot of scratches on the bottom of my bumper, but the good thing is they are not visible from regular eye level if you are standing up.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Oct 11 2005, 04:37 AM
-BMW says that it should take their techs 4.5 hours to do the installation.? It took me much longer.? However, now that I know how it works I could easily do it in the 4.5 hours, maybe even less.
[snapback]182603[/snapback]
I would rather give my money to a fellow forum member instead of any dealer or body shop to do the same work.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

i saw the price of 3000 euro's for the complete m body kit, including the M mirrors. Painted and fitted. Is this too much, or is it a normal price?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Her is a pic of my car with the msport package
Attached Thumbnails question on e60 m aero kit-mystic_blue_front.jpg