E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Question about performance software .....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that Dinan is still the only approved tuner for BMW that does not void your warranty. Does anyone know if BMW service can tell if you had performance software (non-Dinan) installed on your car, but disinstalled prior to service? I think this was discussed briefly before. Just curious. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='594586' date='Jun 3 2008, 03:32 PM
I believe that Dinan is still the only approved tuner for BMW that does not void your warranty. Does anyone know if BMW service can tell if you had performance software (non-Dinan) installed on your car, but disinstalled prior to service? I think this was discussed briefly before. Just curious. Thanks.
Although the majority of mods will be to a N54 (I6tt) this may apply to all engines as well.

Beginning with CIP 29.02.00 BMW introduced code to capture "any alteration to TMAP sensor signal by 'plugged-in-box' is detected by DMA fault 2D18 - manipulation protection, air mass signal plausability"

This was in response to the dealers seeing a high level of reported drivability issues caused by aftermarket "Engine Tuning" kits. These complaints include:

* Excessive muffler noise/incorrect flap operation
* Backfiring into intake manifold
* Increased fuel/oil consumption
* "Service Engine Soon" illuminated
* Excessive battery draw
* Readiness codes not set
* Noise from turbocharger area

Other points mentioned:
* Aftermarket N54 DME software modifications usually do not alter basic or programmed part numbers (My comment - shown in the material I have seen is ActiveWerks "piggyback" tuning system, not a re-written DME like DINAN and some others do. I am not sure if this will detect all methods of tuning modification or not but belive it will.)

* In some cases, MSD80 software modification may be detected by checking OBD readiness codes (My comment - MSD80 is the DME software level used on I6tt (N54) engine)

It appears "tuning kits" may also fool MBW and third party scanning tools. (my comment - pictures are shown of certain systems shown not connected by BMW's diagnostic system and 3rd party code scanners when it is obvious the car has to have the item in the US market.

BMW will release a new TSB/SIB as it relates to some of the above in the "Engine Electrical System" series 12

Also see:

SI B 12 10 08
Engine Electrical SystemsApril 2008
Technical Service

SUBJECT
N54 ? Aftermarket "Engine Performance Tuning" Kits

MODEL
E60, E61 with N54 engine

E90, E92, E93 with N54 engine

E82, E88 with N54 engine

E71 with N54 engine

SITUATION
Various aftermarket "N54 ? Engine Performance Tuning" kits are being aggressively advertised to BMW owners.

Depending on the manufacturer, these modifications may consist of a "turbo-tuner control module" (piggyback box) plugged directly into the TMAP sensor / DME connector, waste-gates vacuum plumbing alterations, or the DME "performance" software programming.

In general, each aftermarket tuner claims a significant increase in engine power and torque of up to 40% over the stock N54 engine specifications (which are, respectively, 300 hp and 400 Nm).

These alleged performance gains are achieved by an increase of the turbochargers boost in a wide range of engine speeds, in some cases exceeding the maximum designed turbo pressure of 8.8 psi by 50%.

INFORMATION
None of the aftermarket "N54 Engine Performance Tuning" kits has been evaluated, tested, approved or endorsed by the BMW Development or Service Departments.

Any alterations to the originally designed and installed turbochargers control system or to the DME software may increase a vehicle's emission levels and may compromise its OBD II compliance.

Moreover, to the best of BMW NA knowledge, none of the aftermarket "N54 Performance" kits have been certified (homologated) by the appropriate federal and state authorities (EPA/CAR to meet street-legal emission requirements. BMW vehicles equipped with such "performance enhancement devices" without these certifications are not in compliance with EPA/CARB emission anti-tampering laws.

Excessive turbocharger boost increases engine temperatures resulting in pressures and forces which may damage engine internal components and or may cause premature turbochargers failure.

Due to increased engine output and the altered emissions characteristics, severe damage may be inflicted on emission control components, such as oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

Excessive engine loads, above the designed levels, may also compromise long term reliability and longevity of other drivetrain components, such as: clutch transmission, transfer case, differentials, etc.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Modification of the vehicle or installation of any non-approved performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which results in damage to the other original components voids the warranty coverage on the affected original Drivetrain and Emission Control components.

In general terms, the BMW warranty on Drivetrain and Emission Control components is void due to a modification where the modification, alteration or installation of a non-approved aftermarket part was responsible for the failure.

Please make sure to inform BMW customers considering purchase of an aftermarket "N54 Engine Performance" kit of the above legal and technical implications.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

wow..I wonder if insurance company's might jump on this - possibly having another reason to refuse payouts aftter accidents citing modded/altering performance characteristics. BMW will be able to inform them directly now if asked by the insurance company to investigate.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

holy crap i just felll asleep reading all that lol
Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Contributors

really my eyes hurt... but good info....
Old 06-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by andy545' post='595285' date='Jun 4 2008, 08:38 AM
wow..I wonder if insurance company's might jump on this - possibly having another reason to refuse payouts aftter accidents citing modded/altering performance characteristics. BMW will be able to inform them directly now if asked by the insurance company to investigate.
I almos certain auto-insurance wouldn't care about mod/altering cars.
They may care on police report how fast you t-bone someone at intersection though. In any rate, insurance may pay out but drop you for being reckless again has nothing to do with mods/alter.

Jmsod, other forums more active on this issue like e90post.com/forums or n54tech.com.
IMHO, BMW is looking for extreme tuners (saw a couple of people denied waranty or waranty voided) caused they had down-pipe, catless, BOV, splice wires/vacuum lines etc.
I haven't seen any body having problem with just piggyback, can't say if BMW will go after those next. :thumbsdown:
BMW smarter than we credit them, they want the publicity that N54TT is tuner dream to boost sales, if they came down hard on tuners they understand Audi would love to pick up the slacks.

At the end is money. Remind me of Seattle case recently on FBI raid on strip-club ("it's not moral it's racketering and money laundering", even gov't says pay tax and I leave you alone)
Old 06-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

Good information. Thanks.
I am specifically referring to the PES tuning chip. Is anyone aware of this chip causing any problems?
Thanks again.