E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Quad Exhaust Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Default Quad Exhaust Dilemma

Hi I"m ready to do quad tips on my 2006 530i. I'm torn between remus quad exhaust with 76mm tips and magnaflow with x-pipe 11385 and 2 10425 tubes. I like the remus for not being too load and very close to oem exhaust sound. Its more expensive but I prefer staggered tips to go with it. I will be using 4 1/4 piping as advised by members here to avoid back pressure. The problem with magnaflow is limited space for the 10425 muffler on the passenger side towards the tips. Does anybody have other recommendations for other muffler brand that will fit on the passenger side nxt to the battery cover? Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I picked up on something you said, "I like the Remus for not being too loud.." I haven't actually heard this setup, but I can tell you from experience you will have a loud car if you go with the magnaflow with just the two mufflers! The X-pipe will help so if I understand your statement you will install an X pipe and the main center 11385 and two 10425 tube? Outside will sound nice, but inching towards too loud on the inside of your car and this is where you will be annoyed. You will have deep tones inside the car when it is in high gear and on highway, cruising... Quite a PITA if you ask me.

I actually used the center muffler 2 in 2 out that mounts about under the rear passenger seat tunnel area. And then two turbo styled baffle tubes at the outlet. Outside was perfect sounding. Inside was not too bad but again some droning problems, high gear low speeds. I ordered the magnaflow tubes to replace the turbo tubes as seen in the pics and the sound got louder on the outside which still sounded nice, but the inside drone DOUBLED! Next, I brought the turbo tubes back into the exhaust and placed them just after the main muffler and adding the magnaflow tubes. This seems to reduce the cabin noise to a more acceptable level and still keeping the outside tone nice.

The pictures are from the original install. Now: #1 & #2 moved to position #3 & #4 and position #3 & #4 now have a new magnaflow tube muffler.

Main is PN 11385 or 11378
Muff tubes PN 14415 these are 14" case length and will fit nicely in the passenger area. If you go with the longer one then the pipe will be in the way of and bending is too drastic
Attached Thumbnails Quad Exhaust Dilemma-img_0430r.jpg   Quad Exhaust Dilemma-img_0436r.jpg  
Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Members

Thanks for the info. I would probably get the remus quad exhaust only and weld staggered tips like this. I dont have mtech rear. I'm planning the do apron cutout on the passenger side to do quad tips from remus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Muff...c3d19c&vxp=mtr
Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Those look nice. Just make sure you get them on the correct side! Ha.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Members

Hey Tony,I have a question, what do you think a muffler delete quad setup with a dr euro downpipe will sound like? This is what I am leaning towards right now.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Chief Holley
Hey Tony,I have a question, what do you think a muffler delete quad setup with a dr euro downpipe will sound like? This is what I am leaning towards right now.
I am by far no exhaust guy... But on mine, Originally I had unacceptable drone when on the interstate and was really bad if you were going up a hill or low pedal pressure, low rpm etc. on my setup I had the one center muffler then two turbo tubes that have baffles inside. The sound out side the car was very nice. My thoughts were that at low rpm etc there was not enough pressure to get the exhaust out and basically it was puddling inside the muffler making more noise. So I had them replaced with the magnaflow tubes thinking they are straight through and this should help. Nope, like I said it got much louder. Next I brought the turbo tubes back in just after the main muffler and this seems to fix the problem. I still get a little drone, but nothing this old man can't handle.

So a complete muffler delete IMO would be much louder. You know this really comes down to personal preference though. Some like it loud etc. Not me, I like a nice deep tone but do not care for the drone that comes with it.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Members

My car is titanium gray color and I'm planning to install remus quad shown on this pics. I cant decide which of these tips is best for my car. What do you guys think.

Last edited by elie7; 10-20-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Members

I am kind of partial to the single 84 stainless steel