E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Q on adding aftermarket audio to E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

When I get my E60 I want to install completely new amps, speakers, etc. - basically everything outside the iDrive unit. I'm talking sick, 1500+ watts. I talked to a high-end audio guy known locally for BMW work, and he says I absolutely cannot get the Premium Audio option because for some reason it would make it impossible for him to do this. I probably wouldn't get that option anyway to save money, but it limits my choices if I don't want to special order because that option is very common.

I know some people here are experts on E60 aftermarket audio additions (like subterFUSE). Do I absolutely have to avoid this option, or does it not matter if I'm replacing everything outside of the iDrive system anyways?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It would help to know why your audio guy thinks that the premium audio option would limit him. I don't know much about installing aftermarket stuff in the E60 but for the life of me I can't imagine why the premium audio would cause a problem...
Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 11 2005, 06:36 PM
It would help to know why your audio guy thinks that the premium audio option would limit him.? I don't know much about installing aftermarket stuff in the E60 but for the life of me I can't imagine why the premium audio would cause a problem...
[snapback]114333[/snapback]
He said something about the DSP screwing things up. I would ask him to elaborate, but if other people on this board say it can be done without problems I'll just find another audio guy who isn't talking out his ass.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think I now understand that you want to still use the iDrive interface to control the stereo but you want to replace all the components. If that's true, your guy may be correct. Then again, wouldn't you be replacing the DSP components as well? (You'd end up with the L7 settings on the iDrive screen but I imagine they wouldn't actually do anything.)

I really don't know much about all this so please don't take what I'm saying as anything even close to accurate...
Old 04-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Well I have the standard audio not the L7... What I think the reason would be becuase the EQ with the L7 package may mess things up with the controls...plus then you have 8.5" woffers your gonna have to take out assuming your putting in after market subs and you will need to take those out if you want it to sound good and balanced and removing them could be a problem...and I don't know if the DSP can be taped into which then would be a waste od the L7 package... ya i really need new interior speakers and maybe some 15's
Attached Thumbnails Q on adding aftermarket audio to E60-untitled.jpg  
Old 04-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 11 2005, 07:57 PM
I think I now understand that you want to still use the iDrive interface to control the stereo but you want to replace all the components.? If that's true, your guy may be correct.? Then again, wouldn't you be replacing the DSP components as well?? (You'd end up with the L7 settings on the iDrive screen but I imagine they wouldn't actually do anything.)

I really don't know much about all this so please don't take what I'm saying as anything even close to accurate...
[snapback]114355[/snapback]
I would actually be prefer not using the IDrive at all to drive the audio, just a regular Pioneer head unit. I thought the problem was there is nowhere to put the head unit, but looking at a photo of the interior it seems that the space currently occupied by the in-dash CD changer could just be vacated and a head unit placed there with some fiberglass placed around the sides to make it look nice. I mean Christ, this isn't black magic. It's all just electricity and wires.

Now that I recall my conversation with the audio guy he did say he could basically do whatever the heck I wanted provided I give him enough money. What the hell.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

If you are going to change out your stereo, I would not suggest getting the Logic 7.

Why spend money on something you're going to take out? And I think your audio guy is correct, the DSP may screw with things if you intend to use the factory preamp.

But, if you are going all out for a killer audio system.... you'd have to be insane to use any part of the factory setup. It's all crap, when you compare it to what can be had aftermarket.

I saw pics of someone's E60 on here, and they had removed the factory radio and installed an Alpine CVA-1005 or some similar TV screen headunit. So, the factory radio CAN be removed.... apparently. If your goal is to have a competition quality system, you'll need to start there.

If I was going to do a system in my E60, I would do the following:

Headunit: I have always sworn by Eclipse, because of the sound quality. However, if you want something with a TV or Navigation.... Alipine is the way to go.

Speakers: I swear by 2 brands of speakers. Either Dynaudio, or Image Dynamics horns. My preference is the Image Dynamics horns, though.

Subwoofers: I have always used JL Audio, 10W6 series subs.... although, the last car I had was done before the W7 was released. It's been a while since I researched the stuff, but I would use the top-of-the-line JL Audio subs in any system I ever do in the future. I've always used sealed enclosures, and tons of power. Last car had three 10W6 subs, with 1400 watts running them.

Amplifiers: I've been using Precision Power amps in my cars for years. I would never claim they were the best.... but they are excellent quality, and I've had great experiences with them. My first car had Rockford amps, but I always liked the Precision Powers more. I think of it like this.... Rockford is like Harley Davidson. Precision Power is like Ducati.

Processors: Depending on the rest of the system design, I prefer to use processors by either Audio Control, Precision Power, or Image Dynamics. If I used Image Dynamics horns, then I would stick with Image Dynamics processors. They make a crossover that's specifically designed for the horns, and has a very steep slope for the cutoffs. In my last car, I had Dynaudio speakers, and used Precision Power processors throughout (FRX-456 crossover, two DEQ-230 30band equalizers, PAR-245 preamp/EQ, PSC-224 phase shift controller)
AudioControl also makes excellent processors, particularly their 30-band EQs.

Just be sure to check out your installer before he starts your car. Ask to see photos of his work. Ask if he's done an E60 before. If not, be sure you feel comfortable with him learning on your E60. Personally, that thought would not sit right with me.... but, that's just me.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 12 2005, 04:39 PM
If you are going to change out your stereo, I would not suggest getting the Logic 7.

Why spend money on something you're going to take out?? And I think your audio guy is correct, the DSP may screw with things if you intend to use the factory preamp.

But, if you are going all out for a killer audio system....? you'd have to be insane to use any part of the factory setup.? It's all crap, when you compare it to what can be had aftermarket.

I saw pics of someone's E60 on here, and they had removed the factory radio and installed an Alpine CVA-1005 or some similar TV screen headunit.? So, the factory radio CAN be removed.... apparently.? If your goal is to have a competition quality system, you'll need to start there.

If I was going to do a system in my E60, I would do the following:

Headunit:? I have always sworn by Eclipse, because of the sound quality.? However, if you want something with a TV or Navigation....? Alipine is the way to go.

Speakers:? I swear by 2 brands of speakers.? Either Dynaudio, or Image Dynamics horns.? My preference is the Image Dynamics horns, though.

Subwoofers:? I have always used JL Audio, 10W6 series subs....? although, the last car I had was done before the W7 was released.? It's been a while since I researched the stuff, but I would use the top-of-the-line JL Audio subs in any system I ever do in the future.? I've always used sealed enclosures, and tons of power.? Last car had three 10W6 subs, with 1400 watts running them.

Amplifiers:? I've been using Precision Power amps in my cars for years.? I would never claim they were the best....? but they are excellent quality, and I've had great experiences with them.? My first car had Rockford amps, but I always liked the Precision Powers more.? I think of it like this....? Rockford is like Harley Davidson.? Precision Power is like Ducati.

Processors:? Depending on the rest of the system design, I prefer to use processors by either Audio Control, Precision Power, or Image Dynamics.? If I used Image Dynamics horns, then I would stick with Image Dynamics processors.? They make a crossover that's specifically designed for the horns, and has a very steep slope for the cutoffs.? In my last car, I had Dynaudio speakers, and used Precision Power processors throughout (FRX-456 crossover, two DEQ-230 30band equalizers, PAR-245 preamp/EQ, PSC-224 phase shift controller)
AudioControl also makes excellent processors, particularly their 30-band EQs.

Just be sure to check out your installer before he starts your car.? Ask to see photos of his work.? Ask if he's done an E60 before.? If not, be sure you feel comfortable with him learning on your E60.? Personally, that thought would not sit right with me....? but, that's just me.
[snapback]114681[/snapback]
Enormous thanks for the write-up, I'm going to take this with me to the audio shop when I eventually get my E60. The guy I know works at a chain that did an absolutely superb job on my GS400 (completely redid a botched install from another shop), and I'll definitely try to get references from him.

How much should a system like this cost? I don't want to spend more than ten grand. It doesn't have to be competition quality, but I want it to be reasonably close. If I can get 80% of the quality for say six grand, I'd be happy.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The system in my Lexus was about $8,000 - 10,000 for the equipment, before installation.

I don't know what good my advice will do you at an audio shop. The people there are going to tell you that what they sell is the best... whether or not it is true.

I suggest you go check out the shop, and learn what brands of gear they sell. Read car audio magazines, and pay attention to an articles on competition winners and their setups.

If you get a list of audio gear they sell.... and report back to me... I can tell you what I know about it.

But here's a list of manufacturers I like and would consider using:

Headunits: Eclipse, Alpine

Speakers: Dynaudio, Image Dynamics (horns, CD2 comp)

Amps: Precision Power, Xtant

Processors: Audio Control, Precision Power

Subwoofers: JL Audio

Battery: Optima Yellow Top (Deep Cycle battery, good for high-power system)

To start with, you need to think about what your goal is with the system. What kind of music do you listen to? How much bass do you want? I prefer tight, accurate bass response.... so I've always used sealed subwoofer enclosures with lots of power. But if you want louder bass, you may want to consider other box designs. Your installer should be able to help with that.

Are you looking for pure music, or do you want other options like navigation or DVD video or a PlayStation2? If you want pure audio, then I always liked the Eclipse headunits and CD players because they make serious, no-nonsense gear. Alpine is better if you want navigation, though.

The Image Dynamics horns I keep talking about are difficult to find in stores. There are not many places that sell them, because they are more high-end gear. But it is actually surprising more places don't sell them, because they really are good value. But, if you get them.... the CD-2 Comp models are the way to go. They are the tops. I really do need to get my old photos from my Legend scanned and posted here for you. I had horns in that car, and they were painted to match the car's body color. Looked sweet. They are 100% the way I would go in my own E60 if I ever did a system.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='Apr 12 2005, 12:44 AM
Well I have the standard audio not the L7... What I think the reason would be becuase the EQ with the L7 package may mess things up with the controls...plus then you have 8.5" woffers your gonna have to take out assuming your putting in after market subs and you will need to take those out if you want it to sound good and balanced and removing them could be a problem...and I don't know if the DSP can be taped into which then would be a waste od the L7 package... ya i really need new interior speakers and maybe some 15's?
[snapback]114367[/snapback]

Hamann5,
LOVE THE WHEELS.......WONDERING IF THERE STAGGERED OR THERE 8.5 ALL THE WAY AROUND? CAN U SEND ME SOME PICS?

Quick Reply: Q on adding aftermarket audio to E60