E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pushing the E61 limits, fitting 19x11 rears.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Yuki,

Thanks for the kind words. What are your stock wheels specs? I believe there are differences between AWD and RWD E6X but I forget the specs. If you had a 535xi I would say there is no way to fit a SDC up front without substantial fender work and tire stretch but IIRC the RWD may be more accommodating with it's offsets. It all depends on how badly you want to make it work.

Evan
Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i JB4

Evan,

Style 124 specs on 535i with KW V2, stock fender/brakes:
18x8 et20 245/40/19 (+10mm spacer)
18x9 et32 275/35/19 (+20mm spacer)
I am not certain if the wheel well space is different between AWD/RWD

What do you mean by "how much I want to make it work". I know don't want to buy new M5 fenders or have super negative camber where tire wear suffers at this time (money). I am also not a huge fan of stretch but would consider it to have SDC all around.

I like how your tire profile looks more meaty than the e9x I posted. I don't want to go very thin

I am assuming that Deep Concave is the same problem as SDC so without any effort, I would be limited to Semi Concave at 9in width like Booya?

I do have a question about rolling fenders... it seems simple/easy and completely open to do this, how does the wheel liner sit in place when the "lip" is basically smashed in? It seems to me either its in there forever, or always removed? I might be missing something here...

thanks
yuki
Old 04-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by purin
Evan,

Style 124 specs on 535i with KW V2, stock fender/brakes:
18x8 et20 245/40/19 (+10mm spacer)
18x9 et32 275/35/19 (+20mm spacer)
I am not certain if the wheel well space is different between AWD/RWD

What do you mean by "how much I want to make it work". I know don't want to buy new M5 fenders or have super negative camber where tire wear suffers at this time (money). I am also not a huge fan of stretch but would consider it to have SDC all around.

I like how your tire profile looks more meaty than the e9x I posted. I don't want to go very thin

I am assuming that Deep Concave is the same problem as SDC so without any effort, I would be limited to Semi Concave at 9in width like Booya?

I do have a question about rolling fenders... it seems simple/easy and completely open to do this, how does the wheel liner sit in place when the "lip" is basically smashed in? It seems to me either its in there forever, or always removed? I might be missing something here...

thanks
yuki
It is refreshing to be asked questions by someone who has done some previous research so thanks for being proactive.

Your oem offsets are much lower than an xi and you could probably fit Super Deep Concaves all around with some fender rolling (maybe pulling) and some mild tire stretch. At this point I would try to find a friend or a shop with wheels in similar fitment to test fit as it will paint you a vivid picture on how it will look.

Also, keep in mind different brands of tires have different sidewall designs which can work with you or against you in a situation like this. Some brands have excess rubber on the sidewall to protect the wheel from curb rash and it will make tight fitment more challenging than it needs to be. I have ran Hankook V12s on my cars for many reasons and a tidy, squared-off sidewall is one of them, I think Toyos are also a nice option but just keep this in mind when picking tires.

Fender rolling is a simple concept but there can be some ugly results if the person doing the metal work is careless or inexperienced, it can also lead to expensive damage such as chipping paint and dents in the body work. That video does a good job at showcasing what can be achieved. Often the fender liners are trimmed to accommodate the tire and also remove any plastic that may get in the way of the rolled lip, trimming the bumpers is also common with aggressive fitment.

It seems like you are on the right path and although I recommend doing some more research and test fitting, I bet you can fit those F14 SDCs without too much trouble. They will look great!

Evan
Old 04-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Yuki, so I run a 9x20 with a et10 (wheel is actually et18 with a VAC 8mm spacer) due to the inner wheel lip clearance to the spring perch of my V2's. Currently with this setup I have about a 3-4mm clearance between the lip and perch. I have even rolled and slightly pulled my fenders to minimize rubbing. Which occurs once in a blue moon up front. You might be able to pull it off but it depends on how low you dropped your car since a 9.5" wheel will stick out a little but will stretch a 245 tire even more. Hopefully this helps.

Victor
Old 04-23-2015, 06:12 AM
Members

Evan, Victor,

Thanks for your reply.

Victor, you said you sometimes rub the "front", is that the front wheel arch on braking?

I checked 20x9 vs 19x9.5 and looks like if I go 245/35, it will be the same diameter as 245/30 like Victor, theoretically would fit with a bit more cushion.

It would be on the strut side that I might hit, it says I will be 6.3mm closer where you already only had 3~4mm before rubbing.

I checked et10 vs et5 @ 20x9 vs 19x9.5 and it looks like there, I will be about the same distance to the perch like you but poking 11mm on the other side.

et12 vs et5 at 19x9.5 looks to be poking 5mm more than Evan on M5 fenders...

I was also looking at Continental DWS but not sure on the shoulders how they stretch.

I dont mind raising my height a bit but looking pretty impossible without more money to do 9.5in SDC? Is my analysis correct?

Yuki
Old 04-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Members

guys,

I am having a hard time giving up on the 19x9.5 DC/SDC fronts...

This might be rudimentary but based on this 18.9.5 et 22 + 10mm, Josh here is running et12~15 (based on 7~8mm spacer). With some camber adjustment, we can clear stock struts at 9.5. At 20x9 et10, we can clear our V2 is how I am reading this (V has). What this means is its the width that changes the offset position, not the diameter correct?

Willitfit comparing Josh and potential 19x9.5 245/35/19 et10 looks like I should be able to clear with fender roll/pull?

I wish I lived by you guys for local moral support ><

Would the 19in diameter+ 9.5width clear lock to lock on the inside liner + outside fender corner with just roll/pull or we need to shave and chop?

Is the wheel well space the same between i/Xi where Evan's 19x9.5 Miro would work on RWD?

V, did you go with 9 instead of 9.5 because of it didn't fit or because it wasn't available when you purchased? Would you do 9.5? I'm questioning because if you have considered this already, I shouldn't waste my time as you experts have already chosen what would be best...

It sucks I can't find the exact example...
Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Just a couple of things. Camber adjustment does nothing for clearance when it comes to the inner wheel lip and spring perch. No matter how you cut it if you will need a end et5 or less to get the wheel lip to clear the spring perch to run a 9.5" wheel. That means your wheels will stick out a like Evans so you need a tire size that is stretched, roll/pull your fenders and even possibly dial in some additional negative camber.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:22 AM
Members

Victor,

Basically, the 11mm extra width on the 9.5, I need to put it somewhere. Evenly would be about 5mm and 6mm on each side right?

From your et10, I need to move that 5mm and end at et5 which should leave me the same 3~4mm clearance to the perch. That would allow it to poke out 6mm from the fender. It finally makes more sense to me.

However, I can't tell how much the inner wheel will catch the outer fender at the 9.5. Josh didn't mention any fender adjustments he had to do to be able to turn lock to lock. Its promising that he on RWD sports suspension and Evan AWD Xi were both able to clear.

It feels much better that it might fit, still afraid but I think I am ready to commit to this...
Old 04-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by purin
Victor,

Basically, the 11mm extra width on the 9.5, I need to put it somewhere. Evenly would be about 5mm and 6mm on each side right?

From your et10, I need to move that 5mm and end at et5 which should leave me the same 3~4mm clearance to the perch. That would allow it to poke out 6mm from the fender. It finally makes more sense to me.

However, I can't tell how much the inner wheel will catch the outer fender at the 9.5. Josh didn't mention any fender adjustments he had to do to be able to turn lock to lock. Its promising that he on RWD sports suspension and Evan AWD Xi were both able to clear.

It feels much better that it might fit, still afraid but I think I am ready to commit to this...
Basically that extra half inch will have to be put on the outer wheel since the inner wheel can't go any further in or you hit the spring perch. Now the other thing is if you decided to go with a 19" wheel and not drop the ride big time and with a bit of a tire stretch you can fit the 9.5 since the inner wheel lip will sit right below the spring perch. The stretched tire will help with the clearance to the perch.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Purin,

Keep in mind once you roll/pull the front fenders enough to stuff the SDCs up there you are likely to still rub on the front bumper (where it meets the fender). The M5 bumper is wider to align with the wider fenders. I honestly think that would be the biggest hurdle (after you cleared the other hurdles.

There have been people who run M5 fenders on a stock 5 series bumper but it doesn't alleviate the bumper issue, and it looks a little weird since there is some abnormal stress on the edges of the bumper to align with the wider fenders.

Like I said previously, test-fitting similarly spec'd wheels is probably your best option at this point. With aggressive fitment; even after tons of research, there comes a point where you need to take the leap of faith.

Evan