E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Protective trims

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)
Smile

I beleive it's a design matter, but why on earth aren't there any protective trims on the side (and doors) of the E60/E61. Some fellow parkers - especially those with old wrecks - tend to open the door very uncarefully and slam it into the side of the car (thank God that didn't happen to me yet). My previous E39 did have trims, and you could see deep marks from other doors in them..

How do you protect your doors? Do you have any ugly traces of other doors?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by stafli' date='Oct 12 2005, 02:00 PM
I beleive it's a design matter, but why on earth aren't there any protective trims on the side (and doors) of the E60/E61. Some fellow parkers - especially those with old wrecks - tend to open the door very uncarefully and slam it into the side of the car? (thank God that didn't happen to me yet). My previous E39 did have trims, and you could see deep marks from other doors in them..

How do you protect your doors? Do you have any ugly traces of other doors?
[snapback]183358[/snapback]
I am lucky (?). I have a bad hip from a motorcycle wreck in a parallel universe long ago. So, I have a disabled placard. I'd trade the placard for a good hip though. There is not much you can do except park far away (and be more likely of being vandalized) (and) or learn to get right next to the curb in "end" parking places without curbing your rims. I did the later for years in a 94 RX-7 and never got dinged. Having your door next to the curb is better since there is some chance that the car that parks next to you will not have any right-side drivers/passengers.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

It is pure style fad over practicality. Very annoying, as I got a dent in the door recently that would not have happened on the previous models.

Not just a BMW fad though - wife's Honda Jazz is like this, and Audi similarly with new A6. Merc's mostly stick with them
Old 10-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Always park by imaculate late models and you'll never get a ding!

I have a slight ding on one of my doors from our eletrolux vacuum cleaner which fell over on to it when I was calling for more hose. I suggest you don't park by those!

I think if you were to retrofit side rubbing strips the car would look a bit pants. :thumbsdown:
Old 10-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

I park far away from other cars

No dings yet, after 1 and ? year and 58.000 km's
Old 10-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 12 2005, 04:17 PM

I have a slight ding on one of my doors from our eletrolux vacuum cleaner which fell over on to it when I was calling for more hose. ? I suggest you don't park by those!

I think if you were to retrofit side rubbing strips the car would look a bit pants. :thumbsdown:
[snapback]183410[/snapback]
But Merv, what if they leave before you? I still am trying to figure out what a Derv is.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Members

I like the design of the doors on the E60. The doors just have that slight curvature and a clean look without the molding. Of course, without the molding your more liable to door dings.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Contributors

it's not about how i protect my doors. it's about how do i protect myself from my passengers who complain how far i park to avoid parking next to other cars.

is it just me or do you all notice if the car you parked next to you is the same when you get back to your car? finding comfort that no one has opened a door next to you. yes, i need help.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ro11dice' date='Oct 12 2005, 09:14 PM
it's not about how i protect my doors. it's about how do i protect myself from my passengers who complain how far i park to avoid parking next to other cars.?
[snapback]183565[/snapback]

HAHAHAH EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by ro11dice' date='Oct 12 2005, 09:14 PM
is it just me or do you all notice if the car you parked next to you is the same when you get back to your car? finding comfort that no one has opened a door next to you. yes, i need help.
[snapback]183565[/snapback]
YA!!!! hahahaa you're too funny... just like me... its a sigh of relief when i see the same cars there... I like literally smile hehe
Old 10-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

Me too - I've also noticed that if I park in away from other cars then it is other BMWs & Mercs that park next to me.

Totally agree! :thumbsdown:

I still am trying to figure out what a Derv is.
DERV = Diesel Engine Road Vehicle

Quick Reply: Protective trims