E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

project sinister has begun!!!! build thread content

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well guys I have two questions and I need some input on a pair of questions I have:

1) dealer will be doing some fixing on the engine and they have to take it off so I was wondering if I should ask them to paint the bay area in the new black color as I wouldnt have to pay for the labour involved in taking out the engine which I guess is pretty expensive. thing is that the few visible parts painted in the engine bay are already sapphire black (although they look more like a matte black) and as the new color will also be black do you think that painting the bay is necessary or should I leave it as it is? I would only paint the bay area as I haven't finished buying the bumpers and I figure that I should wait until I buy all the parts to paint the exterior parts of the car as a whole and not some panels now and others later.

2) when painting the car, should the dealer sand it to the bare metal and then painting again or just painting over the existing paint which is in near excellent condition on most panels?

thanks guys, any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Members

The engine bay doesn't need to be painted. Waste of money. If you already had the engine out then it'd be no big deal but I would strongly suggest not getting it painted. Also the dealer won't be painting the car, and will simply send it to a painter locally. Find out who they use and cut out the middle man. Will save you money. I'd never go to a dealer for body work.

The best painters work for themselves and y could probably find a better painter for less money
Old 05-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Members

thanks bro, Ill check that out as the dealer is pretty expensive. still undecided on the color but if I were to paint the bay Id have until friday to choose as thats when Im taking the car to the dealer
Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Members

a little update, bought an m5 spoiler and ACS roof spoiler and asked the seller to send em painted jerez and azurite so finally got em and made a quick video which should help me decide. here it is (azurite is the "bluer" one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYOc9oVFWU
my conclusions: still undecided as azurite is cooler and very rich but is a little too blue, actually it doesn't look black until the right conditions and jerez is almost too flat to the point I just found out it wasn't jet black after some hours of doubt because the flakes are almost non existent. right now I'm even questioning if is it really worth it to change the color. as always, some input would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Members

Jet black might not be the most unique of colors, but it sure does look good.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Members

ok, bought a pair of m5 fenders but my car is not that fast and I dont want to be a poser, already buying the m5 bumper, so I was wondering how would the new f10 side blinkers look on my e60? do you think they would look cooler than the m5 grills?it sure would look less M wannabe as it is from a normal 5 series

thanks guys, what do you think?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Good luck with your build. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Members

couldn't find a reputable shop to fill the grill holes in the m5 fenders so I'll go with m5 fender grills instead of the f10 blinkers much to my chagrin

Last edited by nemex12; 10-07-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Members

bought a couple of interior wooden bits, I'll post pics soon enough.
btw, will leave it sapphire black for the time being and will be painting the car when the paint is in bad shape so sapphite black it is, I'm actually "refalling" in love with this color.
some bumpers will arrive this week, stay tuned
Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Members

ok, some time has passed and before having the car ready I figured I should upload some pics to show the progress. Installed the springs, put the spacers in the back and took some pics. hope you like em
Attached Thumbnails project sinister has begun!!!! build thread content-7859a.jpg   project sinister has begun!!!! build thread content-7824a.jpg   project sinister has begun!!!! build thread content-7830a.jpg   project sinister has begun!!!! build thread content-7850a.jpg   project sinister has begun!!!! build thread content-7857a.jpg  

Quick Reply: project sinister has begun!!!! build thread content