E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Procede, JB3 and GIAC for 535i

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching adding an ECU tune, such as the Procede, JB3 or GIAC on my 2010 535i. I know the Procede and JB3 are piggyback tunes vs the GIAC which is a flash tune. I have searched on this forum, E60.post and N54Tech and have not seen many 535i's with any of these tunes. The 335i and 135i, on the other hand, seem to have a ton of owners who have installed one of these 3 mods as shown on E90.post. Given that the 535i, 335i and 135i all share the N54 engine I am surprised to not see more of these tunes on 535i's. Looking for feedback from folks on this forum who have actually tried any of the above 3 mods on their 535i. I know there are diehard fans of both Procede and JB3 so please keep responses to actual experience with said tune vs bashing one or the other. They all have their pros and cons from my research. I believe the GIAC is the easiest as the ECU is flashed at a GIAC dealer. Nothing to install or take out in case the car has to go in to the BMW dealer for work. The Procede and JB3 require the owner to get into the ECU and install the piggyback harness. Not a major job but one also has to consider that it should probably be taken out when the car goes in for any warranty work. Anyways, any thoughts or advice on any of these tunes greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

as the number of used 535i/xi increases within the next few months (lease returns and/or buybacks) I am sure we'll see more discussions regarding modding the e60 N54 engine...makes a good daily "work/family car" and "weekend project car"

member G530 has been running the GIAC S1 tune for a few months now..shoot him a pm..

member dbae1978 ran a jb3 v1.1 or v1.2 for almost a year on his 535i

member jcool1818 ran a jb3 v1.1 for almost a year on his 535i (he planned to get a GIAC tune sometime this year before his lease ended, not sure if he ever did tho)

I ran a jb+ (TMAP piggyback) for about 18 months on my 535i

that being said, what are you planning to do? Track your car? Just a slight kick over stock for you DD? If the latter, I would suggest an ECU flash. S1 flashes give you a nice boost over stock, are invisible to tuner detection, and still work within the parameters of the engine safely (timing, fuel pressure, boost pressures). To me piggybacks just seem too aggressive nowadays, always trying to squeeze the max boost without blowing your engine, sometimes putting more strain on your turbos...we all know about the N54 hpfp, why increase your chances of needing repair? IIRC, the dinan S2 flash even takes into account water cooling to help keep temps down while raising boost. Another flash you did not mention is ESS, slightly cheaper than a GIAC flash and gets similar gains. Are you going to get an exhaust or intake? If so, I would suggest going with the ESS/RPI flash, scoop, and exhaust as performance would be maximized from parts that are designed to work together (IIRC I read that RPI set-up gets ~400hp's), rather than a hodge podge of different brands/parts..

If i had to do it all over again I would definitely go with a flash...

but if you are trying to create a rocket out of your 535i, go with the jb3, but you'll most likely end up trying to go with a meth set-up..as newer versions and their higher race maps seem to require at least a meth set-up...

member My535i has been running a jb3, BOV + meth kit on his 535i for I think 2 yrs now (he's also member gophaster on n54tech.com)

good luck with your decision...
Old 10-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
as the number of used 535i/xi increases within the next few months (lease returns and/or buybacks) I am sure we'll see more discussions regarding modding the e60 N54 engine...makes a good daily "work/family car" and "weekend project car"

member G530 has been running the GIAC S1 tune for a few months now..shoot him a pm..

member dbae1978 ran a jb3 v1.1 or v1.2 for almost a year on his 535i

member jcool1818 ran a jb3 v1.1 for almost a year on his 535i (he planned to get a GIAC tune sometime this year before his lease ended, not sure if he ever did tho)

I ran a jb+ (TMAP piggyback) for about 18 months on my 535i

that being said, what are you planning to do? Track your car? Just a slight kick over stock for you DD? If the latter, I would suggest an ECU flash. S1 flashes give you a nice boost over stock, are invisible to tuner detection, and still work within the parameters of the engine safely (timing, fuel pressure, boost pressures). To me piggybacks just seem too aggressive nowadays, always trying to squeeze the max boost without blowing your engine, sometimes putting more strain on your turbos...we all know about the N54 hpfp, why increase your chances of needing repair? IIRC, the dinan S2 flash even takes into account water cooling to help keep temps down while raising boost. Another flash you did not mention is ESS, slightly cheaper than a GIAC flash and gets similar gains. Are you going to get an exhaust or intake? If so, I would suggest going with the ESS/RPI flash, scoop, and exhaust as performance would be maximized from parts that are designed to work together (IIRC I read that RPI set-up gets ~400hp's), rather than a hodge podge of different brands/parts..

If i had to do it all over again I would definitely go with a flash...

but if you are trying to create a rocket out of your 535i, go with the jb3, but you'll most likely end up trying to go with a meth set-up..as newer versions and their higher race maps seem to require at least a meth set-up...

member My535i has been running a jb3, BOV + meth kit on his 535i for I think 2 yrs now (he's also member gophaster on n54tech.com)

good luck with your decision...
Thanks for the very detailed response. To answer a couple of your questions. Will be used strictly as my DD, no track use. Right now I am looking at just the ECU tune itself, no intake or exhaust upgrade right now though at some point down the road I would like to put an RPI exhaust on. I did look at the ESS website and agree similar gains to the GIAC at a lower price. Only downside for me is the only ESS dealer in Illinois where I live does not have the DME Flash capable on site. I would have to pull the ECU and ship it off to be flashed. I do have a local GIAC dealer which may help sway my decision. I will drop a few PM's to the members you mentioned to see how they like their tunes. Thanks again, your response was very helpful.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 AM
Contributors

I am gonna go with the ESS Tune. check it out
Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

A member is selling a dinan exhaust for the 535 plus a dinan tune 60 More Horsepower

74 More lb-ft of Torque per Dinan. Could be an option
Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
A member is selling a dinan exhaust for the 535 plus a dinan tune 60 More Horsepower

74 More lb-ft of Torque per Dinan. Could be an option
how do you sell a Dinan Tune? Unless he's selling or willing to swap ecu's or something..but that would be a
Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

They arent, i said plus a tune in addition to the exhaust
Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

i think it depends what type of person you are..the piggy backs are constantly evolving, (jb3-proceed) they have alot of features i think most 5 guys may not use or bother to learn how to. There are updates that may make you feel left behind if you don't have it.. so I think if your the type of that could drop in 40- 80 horse and be done with it. i think any tune would do. I've driven a jb3 car and its very nice over stock.. sooon i'll have a chance at the procede . personally i don't like the idea of flash tunes.. id prefer to have the option of removing for dealer vists.. thats if i we're to tune my car.. they all raise boost which raises your heat rate .. how much and how safe is the question.. good luck bro..
Old 10-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Contributors

If you're going to get an ECU tune I'd go with ESS Tuning.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
If you're going to get an ECU tune I'd go with ESS Tuning.
I looked at ESS and would seriously consider it if there was a dealer anywhere near me. However the only dealer in Illinois (Palatine) does not show being DME flash capable. Therefore I would have to pull the ECU and ship it off. Honestly if I have to get in and pull the ECU then I would probably just got with the Procede or JB3. GIAC dealer I have local and can take the car and have it flashed there.

Quick Reply: Procede, JB3 and GIAC for 535i